BHN music channels and TV off???

ajay234

Original poster
May 14, 2006
Most of the time when I am listening to the music channels I could care less about little bits of info on the TV. But when I turn the TV off the cable box senses the TV state (HDMI interface) and then shuts itself off (cable box off).

Is there a way I can use my cable box (8399HD) and receiver (AVR-3806) in a 'radio mode' only? Maybe I am cheap, but I don't want my tv on wearing down the color wheel when I am not watching it. :confused:

thanks-
J :D

Hmmm, thats a good one.... I've not heard of that... however, there is a way to correct it...

However, I am unable to find anything on the box your using.... Perhaps you gave us the wrong model number???

At any rate, look at the back of your HD-box.... there should be rca output's for VCR video and audio.... use the rca connections for the audio and run them directly to your Stereo system...

Now, when your ready to listen to music, hit the by-pass button on our remote, turn your tv off, and the box should continue to stay on. If this does not work, then keep everything the way I just told ya, when your ready to turn the tv off, turn the tv to a differnt video input (dvd for example) then turn our tv off....

These steps should work.... if not let us know, see if you cant find a differnt model number on that HD box.. and i'll do some more research for ya...

One other thing you might want to look into, is reading your manual for your TV as well... there may be an option in there to not send the turn-off signal through the hdmi port.... just a thought...

With using the HDMI audio from the box the port is desinged to disable itself when its not interacting with the tv, one thing you can do is run optical or rca audio cables to your audo receiver, and switch to that input on your receiver, and bypass the HDMI, to do this you will need to adjust the hd-dvr box to use either the dolby or two cahnnel audio options, you can do this by going into the "settings" of your box.

yea, but in some areas the "bypass" buttun does'nt change the setting from HDMI audio to Dolby/rca style audio outputs.. with the SA DVR which is the only one our system offers with HDMI the only way to change the audio from the HDMI port to the RCA port was to goto the menu as i mentiond, I said some of what you said but I added some important information to help him, :)

oh and i accutly explained why the problem, was happening not just how to adjust it.

And if you look on the back of some of the boxes, they have a VCR output for sound and video....

With that in mind, even turning off your tv, it still senses that the output for the vcr is still active and does not turn the box off...

I know this, cause I have the 3250HD system, with HDMI output connected to tv... but since I have the vcr rca output going to my stereo system, if I turn the tv off, the box stays on....

The biggest problem I still see is he hasnt re-posted yet as to the correct model of his HD receiver.... In our system, we have 4 difffent HD models, and none of them match that... Google doesnt even come up with a match... so its all a moot point till we can find out which cable box he really has...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts