Big Holed

Musky boy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 26, 2005
Looking for some info from you installers.

I just got a 411 installed and upgraded from top120 to SilverHD.

When I spoke with dish, they said that the upgrade would be $49.00 and the price included Receiver, Dp 44, dish 1000 and installation and setup.

I decided to go with a local Distributer/installer that is self employed in my small farm community. (I went to school with his kids and wanted to support the community).

Long story short, I wanted to get 62.5 instead of 129 and already have a superdish, so he put a dp lnb on one of MY old 300 dishes that I already had pointed for him, hung a dp44 and put in a 411 receiver.

I signed the paperwork which stated Q1 2006 DISH'N IT UP! at the top and he charged me $59 for the upgrade plus taxes. Final bill...$90.00. (no receipt) (Thats a lot of tax).

Later I called the 800 number for ADD DISH and they said that what I have is a 411 receiver that is not on the Dish'n it up deal. There is no lease on the receiver. They proceeded to ask details of the install inwhich I gave. They said that since I did not get the Dish'n it up deal that he will now be eating the cost of the dp44.

My intentions were not to hang this guy out to dry, but why would he do such an install? Furthermore, why would he not tell me what he is doing? Personally, I would rather lease the receiver so if it blows up, I don't have to pay for another.....But since I did not get the Dish'n it up deal, I guess I am still eligable for one in the future.

The more I think about it, the more P.O.'d I get. He took my DP34. What is that thing valued at??

What should I do? Better Business Bureau? :devil:

Thanks,

John

1st off, you're better off with the DPP44 than you are with the DP34. More options for upgrades down the road. Not quite sure why you weren't signe up for the 18 month Dish'n'It up. Logic would dictate a lease would be better than a flat-out purchase. Just ask ANY of the 921/942 customers who bought their receivers.

As to how much a used DP34 goes for? Not much. Try searching on flea-bay. Off the top of my head, MAYBE $30

I'm thinking that owning (not leasing) a 411, DPP44, and a Dish1000 and having it all installed for $90 bucks is a pretty sweet deal.

The CSR you spoke with is wrong. If you signed the Eighteen Month Dish'n It Up then you leased the 411. The 411 is clearly listed as part of the Dish'n it up promo (listed right next to the VIP211). I also belive that the upgrade should be $49. for the receiver and $49 for the additional dish and switches.

Not quite sure what all your charges are. Maybe you should call the installer and ask him to explain the charges. Instead of comming on here and asking people that don't really know. Even if he did charge you a bit more for his work. Atleast you know who to call when you have a problem. You are not left wondering who and when you can get something done when needed.

I agree that owning it all for $90 is a great price, but if the receiver pukes, I have to replace. 411 on ebay is $337. I would rather lease myself, It would result in a bill that is $1 per month higher.

The csr was looking right at my account. She said I own my 411. As for my installer explaining the charges, he did. He said $59 for the upgrade plus taxes......$90 total.

I have been told by many CSR's that my upgrade would be only $49.

As for the 44 switch, he had to put one in, I do locals so I look at 62.5, 105, 110, and 119.

I figured he was being a crook when he hit me for $90, but the main reason that I called Dish to see what was up is that he also told me that he was not sure if the dp44 would be covered and that he may have to charge me another $120. Probably still not a bad deal except the paperwork that he gave me and that I signed said dish'n it up at the top, yet my equipment is not leased and I am in to him for $90 and he will probably be back asking for another $120 since the csr spoke to her boss and then told me that he will not be getting any money for the dp44.\

DAVE: I understand your point of view, but the csr spent a lot of time with me going over my account. I AM NOT ON A LEASE, I DID NOT GET THE DISH'N IT UP UPGRADE. That is fact. As for knowing who to call if I have a problem.....I can assure you that it will not be this installer. Up until now I had done all of my own installation and wanted to do this one myself also but dish said that they were required to have a tech do the insall. That is why I went to a local guy. I was born at night, but not last night!!!!

Last edited:
If I got the deal you did, I'd be dancing!!

You get the same one year product warranty on a purchased 411 as you do on a leased 411. If it croaks after one year, you are in the same situation either way. You could either buy another one, or lease another one at that time.

You got a great deal!

I do not understand how it is a great deal. I paid $41 dollars more than I would have otherwise. If I keep the receiver for 41 months, it is a wash. The difference in programming cost is that I save $1 per month. If the thing takes a crap at the 13 month point, I am out $28 plus whatever the charge would be to get another receiver purchased (possibly a couple of hundred dollars) or the cost of having them then send me a leased receiver.

Also, this prick says if he is not covered for the dp44 that I WILL GET BILLED FOR THAT. Dish has already told me that they will not cover his dp44 because he did not do a dish'n it up promo. It is just a matter of time before he comes back and to ask for approx another $120.

I guess that I must be the dumbest person in the world because I still do not see how this is a "sweet" deal. Furthermore, I have been mis-lead. Honesty matters to me. Also, how did this guy get from $59 for the install to $90 after taxes.

I know that I should have told him to remove everything and get the hell out when he said $90. He is obviously trying to pull something, I just do not know what. Either way, my upgrade cost $41 more than it should have.

On the bright side, maybe I can still qualify for a dish'n it up upgrade and have dish do it this time then sell my 411 and dp44 on EBAY. Last I seen, 411's go for over $300 and dp44 for around $100.

Does this type of dis-honesty bother anybody other than me. Maybe I got the best deal in the world, but I was lied to and that is not right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You got a $399 receiver, plus a $199 switch, and a D1000 and a professional install for $90 & a trade-in of $89 switch and you don't understand why we think you got a great deal?

But if he tries to bill you for the DPP44, then, obviously, you didn't get nearly as good a deal. Although a lot of people would still jump on that deal:

Dish 411 receiver (owned)
DPP44 switch
D1000 dish
Installation
$289 (potentially only $200 with trade-in of DP34)

If I called Dish to buy this package, it would cost me around $750-$800

Last edited:
As to when the deal balances out financially. On a lease, I believe you would be on the hook for a $5/monthly lease fee after 18 months. If so, then after 41 months, you would be $115 ahead on the deal that you got. Plus you would own all of the equipment if you wanted to sell it off and upgrade.

Plus if you decide that you don't want AT60 or whatever at any time, you would not be bound by any lease requirements. Likewise if you want to upgrade early, or switch to D*, you would not have to buy yourself out of the lease or pay any penalties.

Tom,

Not wanting to argue here. I understand what the equipment value is. I have a tv that I paid $3000 for 3 year ago. Today it would sell used for less than $1000. I have a truck that sold for $37000 1 year ago, but could get about $25000 today. I know the stuff has a value but that value is money that will never see my pocket book. I am not the type to buy, sell and trade this stuff. I plan to just use it therefore for me it would be cheaper to lease. As you stated, it would cost you $750 to $800 to buy. Am I to assume that he lost $660 to $710 plus taxes on this deal. My question is why would you buy if you could have it for $49 and an additional $1 per month lease fee. (lease of $6/mo v.s. additional receiver fee of $5/mo)

I did not get a dish 1000. I reused an old 300 dish and he put a used lnb on it for my 61.5 sat. This with my exhisting Superdish was used so that I could retain locals on 105. I would have preferred a dish 1000 getting 110, 119 and 129 and then pointed my 300 to 105 so that in the future when E*10 gets online, I could drop the 300 dish at 105 and gone back to just one dish. Now I will not be able to do that.

I also still question, why was the price $49 plus tax.....for a total of $90. I also question why did he have me sign dish'n it up paperwork yet I do not have a dish'n it up deal. There is something rotten here.

This will be my last post on the subject b.c I do not want to argue the point. I was just looking for some input from various installers as to why a guy would do this. If you would like the deal, call Seward Electronics in Pesotum Illinois..

Last edited:
Musky,

Please don't take this as an arguement. If he had you sign Dish'n It Up paper work then you are probably under a lease. Dish CSR's screw up alot, Iknow it's sounds like they could not mess something like this up, but they do.

Look at it from the retail side. How could a guy sell you a 411, DPP44, and an LNB that would cost him several hundred dollars for $90.00? He is either real dumb or he does not know what he is doing.

Also you would not have been able to use the old Dish300 to get the 105. It takes a large dish to colloect enough signal, and it uses a diferent LNB because it is an FSS sat and not a DBS sat. So they way you are setup is the only way it would work. Other than pointing the Dish300 at 129, but 61.5 has a better signal in your area.

I know you think the guy is pulling something on you. I would really give him a call. Tell him that E* says you are not on a lease. Ask him about the charges. Whats the worst that could happen, you get things straight instead of feeling like you were taken in some way.

Well, if you feel pretty strongly that you would never switch to cable or D*, never consider opting out before 18 months, never sell the equipment, never want to do downgrade your programming, and your setup is just that a lease only cost you $1/month more, then I can understand why the $49 lease would appeal to you.

I seriously doubt I could get the same deal from your installer, even if I tried!

I suspect you might have a few arguments ahead of you if the installer tries to collect on the DPP44 and Dish continues to take the odd stance that you did not upgrade under the new program. That is too bad. It is not fun arguing with Dish because the appeal process is so limited. I recently got stuck by them when a CEO office CSR lied to me about an upgrade credit, which wasn't delivered and I have no way to prove or get out of.

Thanks to all for your input.

I do plan to speak to the installer tomarrow to get to the bottom of this thing. You guys have given me a lot of information that will help me to get to the bottom of this, one way or the other.

I know.......I said in my last post that it would be my last. Just could not help myself.

Thanks again,

John

Last edited:

Just Got My 622.can I Activate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)