Big Install on Friday, Any Advice?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dnyce

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Atlanta
I did a juggling act last year with D* & Comcast. Had a D* DVR on my big screen specifically for ST and Comcast for the rest of the house. But I just built a new home and moved to ATL so I figured now is the time to cut down on some bills so bye bye Comcast I'm putting all my eggs in one basket. It was nice to have a back up in case of bad weather and signal drop out but now its all on DirecTV.

I'm scheduled for a 7 receiver install on Friday. 1 HD DVR, 2 DVR's, and 4 standard receivers.
Any one have any advice on things I should look out for on the install? First thing that came to mind was I might need an amplifier on my line with so many receivers.

Last edited:
Well, make sure he grounds the dish, make sure he puts in a drip loop(s) if/where applicable (usually near the ground block), and, whether he says you need them or not, have him install at least 2 of the stablizer arms (if the AT9 dish is being installed and you have the room), check to make sure you are getting all your subscribed channels andcheck all signals on all receivers before you sign anything, look for low/mid 90's for all non-H20 receivers, (H20s signal reads around the 20 points lower than the other D* STBs, which is normal).

Probably some other things I'm missing, but I'm sure the others here will point those out.

If he does all that, remember to tip. ;)

Good luck, hope it goes well. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
You will have 10 lines running from you multi switches. Unless the 16 output muti is out you will need 2 multi switches. No amp will be needed. Is the house prewired for sat? And you will need 2 lines to the HD DVR and each of the other 2 DVRs, if they are not prewired the installer will need to run wire to them. This will mean either a wall fish or house wrap (not pretty on a new house).

VIPERS-PIT said:
You will have 10 lines running from you multi switches. Unless the 16 output muti is out you will need 2 multi switches. No amp will be needed. Is the house prewired for sat? And you will need 2 lines to the HD DVR and each of the other 2 DVRs, if they are not prewired the installer will need to run wire to them. This will mean either a wall fish or house wrap (not pretty on a new house).

The builders pre wired the house for Cable, I assume that means satellite as well. Also I'm about 10 miles West of the Atlanta Airport. Not sure if that will affect my signal.

dnyce said:
The builders pre wired the house for Cable, I assume that means satellite as well. Also I'm about 10 miles West of the Atlanta Airport. Not sure if that will affect my signal.
Usually a prewire for cable means 1 cable to each room, start planning on how you will get 2 cables to the three DVR locations or wether they will become single tuner DVRs.:)

Yes you will need to run an extra line to the 3 TVs that you want the DVRs on. if you have a crawl space or unfinished basement then I would run them there, otherwise do a wall fish through the attic. If you cant do this then expect the installer to wrap cable around the outside of the house to these 3 locations, or pay him or an electrician to fish the cable for you (if you pay someone other than the installer than make sure it is done before the install day).

Hope this helps.

for dual tuners, phone lines are required, without a phone line connected, expect to pay $5.00 per receiver not connected

srs913 said:
for dual tuners, phone lines are required, without a phone line connected, expect to pay $5.00 per receiver not connected

That would be for Dish Network. For DTV, if their is no phone line some features would not be avaliable without a call to DTV.

Joec2 said:
That would be for Dish Network. For DTV, if their is no phone line some features would not be avaliable without a call to DTV.

You only need a phone line to activate the DVR after that its all set.... The phone line is only needed for Pay for View channels...

stickboy75 said:
They should give you a deal on the $5 dollar mirror fee,

I wish! Funny thing is even with $30 in mirroring fees D is still cheaper than Comcast. Heading home now to meet the installer. I am going to be PISSED if they don't show. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Yes you will need to run an extra line to the 3 TVs that you want the DVRs on. if you have a crawl space or unfinished basement then I would run them there, otherwise do a wall fish through the attic. If you cant do this then expect the installer to wrap cable around the outside of the house to these 3 locations, or pay him or an electrician to fish the cable for you (if you pay someone other than the installer than make sure it is done before the install day).

Hope this helps.

I'll just have to deal with cable running around the house. As long as it's done the right way it shouldn't be an eye soar. Can't wait to get hooked up, I'm actually excited to watch Pre Season!

I have tivo, 2 HD recievers and 5 sd recievers with zero phone lines.

We have had D* over a year this time and still havent ordered a single PPV event. Still have the free coupons they gave with the install. The phone lines are just to track what you are watching.

not required,requested but having a phone line is always smart because sooner than later you will have an error messge and it will annoy you.

stickboy75 said:
You only need a phone line to activate the DVR after that its all set.... The phone line is only needed for Pay for View channels...

I have activated several DTV DVR without a phone line connected, no issues with DTV at all.

Pissed

Apparently my big appointment for the 11th is now the 29th and no one bothered to call and tell me. :mad: I get home early on Friday all excited decided to call in to make sure the installer had my cell # and come to find out when I added additional receivers to my order on Monday the local office pushed it back 3 weeks. I was afraid that would happen that is why I made sure to ask the CSR numerous times will this change my installation date. She said no we still have you for the 11th. I was pissed on Friday and I'm pissed now. What ticked me off more is that the guy I talked to in Customer Retention didn't have one ounce of remorse. The word 'Sorry' or 'I apologize didn't come out of his month. All I got was nothing I can do and the other rep told you the wrong info. So I called back later to get another rep who was much more pleasant, got a $50 credit (better than nothing) and she sent an email to the local office who is supposed to be giving me a call tomorrow to see if they can split the job do my main TV this week and wait for the rest of the house. I'm running out of DVD's! Anyone have any ideas? Would I be better off just calling some random local DirecTV installer??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)