Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Just a question. How did the phone rep "solve" the issue by telling me what I didn't want to hear?
The answer you want to hear is not relevant. She answered your question regarding your call. It's like a customer calling tech support saying they want to receive OTA digital channels with a 522 receiver. The receiver doesn't support it, that is explained, and the issue is solved. Again, it's probably not the answer the customer wants, but it's a fact.

The answer you want to hear is not relevant. She answered your question regarding your call. It's like a customer calling tech support saying they want to receive OTA digital channels with a 522 receiver. The receiver doesn't support it, that is explained, and the issue is solved. Again, it's probably not the answer the customer wants, but it's a fact.

I think you are misunderstanding Bighouse's point, Hall. He is essentially saying the same thing as you are--his emphasis on the word "solve" is in reference to an earlier poster's comments about him getting that info just to placate him (which he is pointing out, does not).

The launch of the BTN is 10 days away, does anyone know the status of the FCC filing that Dish made last month? Is it still out there? Is there any chance the FCC will look at this in the next few weeks or are we talking months or years?

Thanks

No idea how long the FCC takes to work on filings but I'll venture to say they work "in order". The Big 10's launch date will have no bearing (and shouldn't) on the FCC's schedule.

Just made the call to switch from E* to D*. Installation isn't until Saturday the 25th. Seeing a lot of hype surrounding D*'s future HD plans and their exclusivity with BTN, there may be a wait for immediate installation. Any of those who are on the fence about switching may want to decide soon to guarantee a installation date before the start of the season.

Just made the call to switch from E* to D*. Installation isn't until Saturday the 25th. Seeing a lot of hype surrounding D*'s future HD plans and their exclusivity with BTN, there may be a wait for immediate installation. Any of those who are on the fence about switching may want to decide soon to guarantee a installation date before the start of the season.

I called a D* install buddy of mine trying to get a friend hooked up who also is making the E*-2-D* switch. He advised me there is about a 3 week wait right now because of all of the HD hardware upgrading as well as new sub requests going on.Now that is just in my area,no clue how that plays out nationwide.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is with the installers backlog this month. I had to wait three weeks to get my 811s replaced by 211s.

What exclusivity?

I think he means that as of now, DirecTV is the only option that many viewers have to get the Big Ten Network. D* does not have an exclusive contract with BTN.

exclusivity wouldnt be "so far", being the first to sign up does not make it exclusive. D* has exclusivity with Sunday Ticket. No chance to get it anywhere.

Looks pretty "exclusive" to me. This is a snippet from the BTN website.

DIRECTV CHANNEL 220
DIRECTV has designated its Channel 220 as the location of the Big Ten Network and will make the network available as part of its Choice programming package. The satellite provider has also committed to carrying the network's overflow games so subscribers will have access to all Big Ten Network games when multiple games are being produced.

Looks pretty "exclusive" to me. This is a snippet from the BTN website.

DIRECTV CHANNEL 220
DIRECTV has designated its Channel 220 as the location of the Big Ten Network and will make the network available as part of its Choice programming package. The satellite provider has also committed to carrying the network's overflow games so subscribers will have access to all Big Ten Network games when multiple games are being produced.

"Exclusive" would mean no other provider can have it. It's open to all cable and sat companies.

Nothing is exclusive, according to Big Ten Network President, Mark Silverman:

Another caller to WDWS (Champaign, IL) inquired about the overflow channels.

Caller: I have DISH Network, and if you guys negotiate a deal with DISH Network, are there going to be overflow channels so I can watch my Hoosiers play basketball, football, if the U of I is playing at the same time?

Silverman: We’re offering up the overflow channels to every single distributor. It would be my hope that, when we come to an agreement with DISH, that that would be a part of that agreement as well.

Caller: But … if you do make an agreement with them, that’s not cast in stone, whereas with DirecTV, it’s an absolute certainty, is that correct?

Silverman: That is correct. With DirecTV, it is a certainty. With every other operator, the larger ones like DISH, all we can do is offer up the network and it’s up to them if they elect to carry it or not.

OK, just got off the phone with both Cableone (Local Cable) and my Satelite dealer (Who istalls both E* and D*). Cableone is a no go on BTN so far.

He said that of my 18 month contract, I only have 6 months left, so I can turn in ALL but one receiver (I'll keep dual tuner) and drop down to the Family Pack ($19.95 a month) and he will install D* everything pack (What ever that is called) for $69.95 a month for 6 months and that includes the NFL-Sunday Ticket in that amount. then the price goes up to $99.95 Month after that, plus they will give me a HD DVR for one TV. So I keep E* for 6 months $19.95 + $69.95 for a tiotal of $89.90 a month, I get 3 TV's ONE in HD threw D* and I get the BTN.

He did tell me that if I was in my first year of my 18 month commitment, that I would have to keep all receivers and maintain at least the top 100 pack.

Houston we have a WINNER!

OK, just got off the phone with both Cableone (Local Cable) and my Satelite dealer (Who istalls both E* and D*). Cableone is a no go on BTN so far.

He said that of my 18 month contract, I only have 6 months left, so I can turn in ALL but one receiver (I'll keep dual tuner) and drop down to the Family Pack ($19.95 a month) and he will install D* everything pack (What ever that is called) for $69.95 a month for 6 months and that includes the NFL-Sunday Ticket in that amount. then the price goes up to $99.95 Month after that, plus they will give me a HD DVR for one TV. So I keep E* for 6 months $19.95 + $69.95 for a tiotal of $89.90 a month, I get 3 TV's ONE in HD threw D* and I get the BTN.

He did tell me that if I was in my first year of my 18 month commitment, that I would have to keep all receivers and maintain at least the top 100 pack.

Houston we have a WINNER!

Dont you just love happy endings:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)