Big Ten Network

The Big Ten Network will have little or no effect on Football or Basketball games.

Right, that's why they are putting a ton of kash into it. Believe me, when that season (football) starts up, those that do not receive the B10N will be screaming bloody murder! There were oSU games this past season that were not on locally or on cable, only on sat and the fanbase went nuts. They were on ESPNU. Like to see the cable or sat co in Columbus not have the B10N, bye bye sub!

You can say the same for Flora, Illinois. espically this year as the Illini actually looks to have a good football team for a change. if it is not on DN, I'm leaving! and I mean that 100%

A Chicago source is saying that the B10 Network is asking $1.10/month per subscriber in the 8 states that have B10 universities. The cost drops for other states, but I haven't been able to find out what the fee is.

By comparison the fee for NFL Network is 70 cents per subscriber and ESPN charges $3.

$1.10 does sound a bit on a high side for a first year, single conference network.

The big question is whether the BTN will allow Dish to add it only to Multi-Sport, or try to force it on all subs nationwide (or at least all subs in those 8 states). If it's the latter then I doubt we will see this channel on Dish.

$1.10/mo. is a bit high considering all the best games will be cherry-picked by ABC / CBS / ESPN. Once each major conference decides to lauch it's own channel, are we talking about a $10 - $20/mo. "College Crummy Game Pack"? All the Duke football and Penn State basketball you want? :(

Man, I sure hope they get this hashed out, I live here in Iowa and don't want to switch to Direct.
I know people outside of the Big Ten think what's the big deal and I can understand that but I hope I have some kind of option, even if those who want it, had to pay a little extra I'd be game for that.

$1.10/mo. is a bit high considering all the best games will be cherry-picked by ABC / CBS / ESPN.

I believe on some weeks, the B10 Network will have the 2nd pick on games, and on some other weeks, the 3rd pick. They have priority over ESPN on certain weeks.

I'm sure a lot of B10 fans would gladly pay around $2/month to get this channel. Pretty cheap if one lives out of market for their team. And even in market, not a bad price if you get to watch a few important games for your home team.

The B10 Network does prefer it if the channel is carried in a basic tier, but is not ruling out premium tiers.

If the B10N is picked up only by D*, it adds one more log onto the fire for me. The MLB:EI package was another. Sports is my #2 viewing priority, after HD Movies.

If D*'s big HD upgrade gets them close to E* on HD movies, and they have NFL:ST, MLB:EI, NCAA Mega March Madness, and the B10N, then it might be enough to flip me over to D*.

I've been with E* since '98. I've probably paid E* close to $10,000 (maybe a bit over this) over the years. I'd rather stay with E*. But it looks like I'm going to have to serious consider flipping to D* when my 622 upgrade contract expires in early '08.

I have a gut feeling that Dish won't give an anteaters snout about offering the Big Ten Network.

Watching sports is becomming harder and harder to do on Dish Network.

Let's see....in the past few months I have had my subscription to MLB:Extra Innings package taken away by a non-responsive Dish Network. They could have negociated to get this like Cable TV did..but Dish didn't. Poo.

And now, I still cannot watch St. Louis Cardinals games on Dish Network because Charlie and his Gang either don't give a damn. Direct TV recently made an aggreement with Fox Sports Midwest to lift the blackout on those games to zip codes in Central Illinois, but Dish is still dragging their collective feet on this issue and those Cardinal games (which I pay $5.99 a month to watch on the multi-sports package) are still being friggin' blocked.

Dish is terrible. I will DEFINATELY be leaving this cheapie network next year when my VIP622 committment is done.

It seems that the only sports that DIsh Network care about showing anymore are the PPV Cricket and Rugby matches. PATHETIC!

can't believe they can't have a plan to carry before now, before satellites always had the local cable companies screwing with you, thought that was over. would gladly pay extra for the b10 network, since i could drop the espn full court. don't want to change servers, but i don't want to miss the b10 either.

I have a stupid question on the Big 10 Network.

Currently ESPN+ does some of the football & basketball games and they are on a local station here (sometimes FSN North, sometimes a local Minneapolis station). They buy the rights to show it locally.

Will the Big 10 Network allow that to happen or is it going to be a "you need the Big 10 Network to see most of your local teams games"

I'm not talking a fan in New Mexico wanting to watch Michigan. I'm talking as an example a Minnesota resident watching Minnesota games (god that pains me to say that)

The way I've read it, ESPN/Disney/ABC still owns "first rights" to the games and their broadcast. When you watched it on a local station, I presume it was an ABC affiliate. Those scenarios still seem to apply....

What some of us ran into last year was ESPN/Disney/ABC relegated a "big" game to ESPNU, for example, FOR NO GOOD REASON other than to try and force people to subscribe to that channel (and whatever tier it's in). Ohio St had a really good year last year and ESPN pulled that sh*t on one of their games. There was a big stink about it, with the newspaper having stories every day leading up to the Saturday, telling how to get the channel from Time Warner, Dish, or DirecTV and also telling what bars would have the game available. In the end, other than a few die-hard fans I know who did go to a bar to watch, most of us just "skipped" the game. Did I go off rambling ?? :D Hold on....

Anyway, the way it appears now is that if ESPN or ABC chooses not to carry the game, the Big 10 Network can then carry it. Question is, what's the difference between ESPN or ESPN2 vs ESPNU ??

The way I've read it, ESPN/Disney/ABC still owns "first rights" to the games and their broadcast. When you watched it on a local station, I presume it was an ABC affiliate. Those scenarios still seem to apply....
no. This more was towards b-ball than football but if ESPN+ (ESPN regional) did the telecast, we would see it on FSN North or the local Independent station. Saturday's were always "Big 10 Saturday" where we'd get 2 or 3 games on OTA. For football, this would mainly be towards the games that ESPN wouldn't think was good enough for ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU. Like Minnesota/North Dakota State. That was done by ESPN+ and was shown on FSN North.

What some of us ran into last year was ESPN/Disney/ABC relegated a "big" game to ESPNU, for example, FOR NO GOOD REASON other than to try and force people to subscribe to that channel (and whatever tier it's in). Ohio St had a really good year last year and ESPN pulled that sh*t on one of their games. There was a big stink about it, with the newspaper having stories every day leading up to the Saturday, telling how to get the channel from Time Warner, Dish, or DirecTV and also telling what bars would have the game available. In the end, other than a few die-hard fans I know who did go to a bar to watch, most of us just "skipped" the game. Did I go off rambling ?? :D Hold on....
I remember that vividly. Ohio State vs. Indiana. Ohio News Network showed it tape delayed but a lot of people were not happy.

Anyway, the way it appears now is that if ESPN or ABC chooses not to carry the game, the Big 10 Network can then carry it. Question is, what's the difference between ESPN or ESPN2 vs ESPNU ??

Reason I ask is if Big10 can farm out it to local affiliates, then this might not affect the "local" fan. But if you are a Michigan fan living in Minnesota, then it may make a difference

It sounds like most of the games that have been farmed out this year and in the past by ESPN+ won't happen in Big Ten country after this year, according to this article I came upon.

This article appeared today (4/24/2007) in my local newspaper, the Burlington Hawk Eye in Iowa about the star-up of the Big Ten Network:

http://www.thehawkeye.com/daily/stories/sp4_0424.html

Big Ten Network Q&A
Answering questions about the conference television channel.

By JOHN BOHNENKAMP
jbohnenkamp@thehawkeye.com

The television landscape for University of Iowa sports will change next season with the launch of the Big Ten Network.

How and where games will be shown, and who will get to see them, is still unclear.

A look at some of the key questions:

How many games will be on the Big Ten Network?

The network will have rights to Big Ten home nonconference and all conference games for football, men's basketball and women's basketball.

Under the terms of the new TV deals 17 football games will be on ABC, 24 on the ESPN networks and 35 will be on the Big Ten Network.

For men's basketball, 15 games will be on CBS, 43 on ESPN or ESPN2, 13 on ESPNU or ESPN360 (a broadband network), and 105 will be on the Big Ten Network.

For women's basketball, two games will be on CBS, five on ESPN or ESPN2, and 55 will be on the Big Ten Network.

In all, 507 Big Ten events in all sports will be on television next year, up from 279 this year.

Who gets first choice of the games?

ABC will get first choice each week for football. After that, the second choice will rotate among ESPN, ESPN2 and the Big Ten Network.

CBS will have first pick of the weekend basketball games. ESPN will have first choice of weekday basketball games.

So, there will be some high–quality games will be on the Big Ten Network.

Will this affect starting times?

No more than in the past for football.

Basketball is where there could be some changes. Look for additional Tuesday and Thursday conference games, and maybe a couple of Sunday games.

Any sports that won't be shown?

The network promises coverage of all Big Ten sports.

College hockey, though, is one that will be missing, at least early on. Wisconsin and Minnesota play in the WCHA, while Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State play in the CCHA. Those conferences have their own TV deals.

Who will get the Big Ten Network?

Right now, the only agreements are with DirecTV and AT&T Cable Services.

Big Ten Network president Mark Silverman said Monday the network has 20 "handshake" deals with cable systems in Iowa, but didn't say which ones. Mediacom senior manager of communications Phyllis Peters said the cable system, which serves Burlington, Mount Pleasant and Fort Madison, is in negotiations with the network.

What tier will it be on?

Silverman said he hopes the Big Ten Network will be on the basic or expanded basic tiers, which most cable subscribers have.

Mediacom could put the Big Ten Network on its digital cable tier, where ESPNU currently resides. That would mean a higher cost to subscribers.

How many games will be available on over–the–air stations?

Not as many as last year.

Eighteen football games and 100 men's basketball games were on ESPN Regional Television affiliates, like KYOU in Ottumwa and KWQC in Davenport, last season. Those games will now appear on cable, either on the ESPN networks or on the Big Ten Network.

So, unless a game is on ABC or CBS, if you don't have cable or a satellite subscription, you're likely going to be out of luck seeing the games.

Who has the rights to road nonconference games?

The host school or conference.

So, this season's Iowa–Iowa State football game, and Iowa's men's basketball games against Iowa State and Northern Iowa, will appear on whoever has the rights for the host schools or the conference.

Will Mediacom get the Big Ten Network?

As Peters said, the two sides are still negotiating. They have a few months to make a deal.

I believe the B10 teams will be playing a total of 88 games in 2007 (11 teams times 12 games each minus the double counting of games played against each other).

So about 40% of all B10 football games will be carried exclusively by the B10 Network. This means there is a good chance that 4 or 5 Minnesota Rodent games will be locked up on the B10 Network channel. It is unlikely they will release these games to your local cable - but that isn't a sure thing.

In some cases these will be some of the most significant B10 games of the week, as on some weeks the B10N will get the #2 pick, other weeks the #3 game, and others the #4 game. They could take Wisconsin vs Minnesota, for example. Or Ohio State vs Michigan State.

Roughly the same ratio will hold true for basketball, where the B10N will have exclusive carry rights to 105 out of roughly 240 games. This could be around 11 or so Rodent games.

I have a stupid question on the Big 10 Network.

Currently ESPN+ does some of the football & basketball games and they are on a local station here (sometimes FSN North, sometimes a local Minneapolis station). They buy the rights to show it locally.

Will the Big 10 Network allow that to happen or is it going to be a "you need the Big 10 Network to see most of your local teams games"

I'm not talking a fan in New Mexico wanting to watch Michigan. I'm talking as an example a Minnesota resident watching Minnesota games (god that pains me to say that)

ok iceburg,

example here in IL, the Illini games on ESPN+ that was on WCIA, and other stations around the state will now ONLY be seen on big 10 network. so if the sports on your local stations from ESPN plus, those games will now only be seen on the big 10 network.

ok iceburg,

example here in IL, the Illini games on ESPN+ that was on WCIA, and other stations around the state will now ONLY be seen on big 10 network. so if the sports on your local stations from ESPN plus, those games will now only be seen on the big 10 network.

thats what I was getting at. Here the ESPN+ games were on KSTC (Independent station) or the "bigger" games were on WCCO (CBS)

Thanks for the info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)