Bigger Dish for Expressvu

I had to bend and flatten the L bracket I found at Home Depot for my needs. There's probably something better out there but i didn't want to waste too much time.

I bent the L bracket with pliers to point the LNB up/down. Where the conduit hanger attached to the L bracket, I could adjust the left/right aiming by just pivoting it back and forth. The L bracket was mounted to one of the screws that holds the main LNB mount to the arm. It was mounted at an angle (not straight across). Here's what I could take before the sun went down...

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 382
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 377
  • dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Thanks! It was easier than I thought it would be. I couldn't have done it without the posts here and my cheap signal meter though.

After reading the FTA forums, my interest has been peaked. It reminds me of when I used to DX on shortwave. So I think my next project is to buy a FTA receiver, add a motor and a linear lnb to the dish. :D

I think I may keep the existing LNBs where they are and mount the linear one on the other side. This way I'll be able to use it for Bell or for a FTA signal. I'm hoping that even though it won't be exactly center, the FTA lnb will be able to pick up something...

36 inches for $50 delivered

One thing we've been talking about over in the FTA section recently , is a deal on a 36" dish.
Certainly for single-LNB use, it'd be fine with a shell-less Dish(Pro) LNB.
The big size would give you just that much more rain-fade margin. :cool:
Someone in another thread, asked for a bigger dish that would mount on an existing DirecTV or Dish pole.
This one will, but you might want to stabilize it with the pole support struts which are included.

Since the last few posts have dealt with mounting two LNBs, I should point out that on this dish, there are LNB side support arms that might interfere with a secondary LNB, if it is lower than the central LNB.

That sort of problem has also been addressed by a number of posts in the FTA section, so I won't go into the details here.
We even have a very involved thread with (fairly simple) math to figure out where a secondary LNB needs to be located relative to the primary one.

Thanks for the info! I might have to try that 36" dish. The price sure is right! I paid $60 for my 30" shipped.

On my 30" Expressvu setup, the secondary LNB is lower than the central LNB. So the support arms may get in the way on the 36".

We just bought a house and we will be moving into it next month, so I don't have to worry about keeping the amount of dishes I have to reasonable level like I did living in apartment. Hahaha. So it may be fun to try to see what I can do with it. And finally setup an FTA system.

With the 30", I still do get loss of signal when the weather is really cloudy so a dedicated 36" for 82 may be the way to go especially when it starts to snow here...

I was just reading over the last few posts to this thread to refresh my memory.
And I'd like to offer the following suggestions.

BEV Only:
- now thst you'll move to a house, the simple way is single LNB per dish
- but you sure have shown you're up to a challenge with 82/91 on that Weingard!
- generally it's best to put the weakest signal at the proper focal point on a dish, and the stronger bird off to the side (but near)
- depending on skew to any two nearby birds, one LNB will always be higher, so if you can put that one off-focus, it'll be easier with the 3ABN dish
- however, don't let the above rule conflict with having the weakest signal dead center!

FTA Suggestions:
- weak FTA signals need the central focus point more than circular BEV satellies
- having your BEV/Dish receiver lose signal if you were to motorize one FTA/BEV dish, is not recommended . . .
- so, use a different dish for FTA (motorized ) than for BEV/Dish
- maybe try the 36" for BEV, and put the 30" on FTA, for now - that'll get you most of the FTA.
- and... leave 91º reception on your 20" dish...?
- welcome to the FTA section, you'll fit right in with your nice pix and clever mounting! :)

Regarding HD BEV reception:
- BEV has/had two satellites at 91º and two at 82º.
- one bird at each location gets good signals into the USA, and one doesn't do south west (nor south east) very well.
- the central US states are good, but not the south tip of Texas
- so reception in Louisiana may not be representative of say San Diego, or Miami, on all transponders.

FWIW, DirecTV dual DBS LNBs work with EV/Dish legacy gear. They need to be simple LNBs, not the twin/multiple LNBs with built in switches. This should ease the mounting issues with FTA dishes.

One very good solution is the Channel Master GainMaster. It handles up to three LNBs at 9 degree spacing. (Good for when EV lights up 72.5.) I use a *C 75cm dish with a Flexi-block adapter and two DirecTV dual LNBs. The *C dish itself is identical to the GainMaster but lacks the 3 LNB adapter.

Thanks for the info! I might have to try that 36" dish. The price sure is right! I paid $60 for my 30" shipped.

On my 30" Expressvu setup, the secondary LNB is lower than the central LNB. So the support arms may get in the way on the 36".

We just bought a house and we will be moving into it next month, so I don't have to worry about keeping the amount of dishes I have to reasonable level like I did living in apartment. Hahaha. So it may be fun to try to see what I can do with it. And finally setup an FTA system.

With the 30", I still do get loss of signal when the weather is really cloudy so a dedicated 36" for 82 may be the way to go especially when it starts to snow here...

Hey Rob,

Fellow coloradian here, I am up in Northern Co, and have lost TSN HD and SN HD totally. They dont even show up in the guide anymore, as I am not sure what TP they lie on I cant work on adjusting or getting a bigger dish. I have been fidling with this for a while now, and have now resorted to using two dishes. I am going to try a larger dish100.3 because I have a very picky neighborhood convenance here, not sure I could get away with a 36" dish without hiding it somehow. I am have been a sub of BEV for a few years now, and finally broke down and got a HD Box a few months ago, channels were great for a while, then nothing, sure miss them. hoping you can tell me what Transponder TSN HD is on so I can work on getting that one in.

thanks
stefan

I am going to try a larger dish100.3 because I have a very picky neighborhood convenance here, not sure I could get away with a 36" dish without hiding it somehow.
. . .
hoping you can tell me what Transponder TSN HD is on so I can work on getting that one in.
- The Dish 1000 family of antenna are simply a waste of time if you are really having trouble on 30" dishes
- In the USA, I don't think anyone can discriminate against your dish up to 1m, so tell the rules committee to F-off
- if they get upset with your 3ABN dish, tell 'em you'll sue on grounds of religious persecution! :eek:
- visit the FTA section here on the forum, if you need ammo and links to the FCC rules!
- check The List here on SatGuy's for which channel/transponder has your show.
edit: from Lyngsat,
- lookup by SID or channel: Bell ExpressVu on Nimiq 2 at 82.0°W - LyngSat
- lookup by by transponder: Bell ExpressVu on Nimiq 2 at 82.0°W - LyngSat

One very good solution is the Channel Master GainMaster.
It handles up to three LNBs at 9 degree spacing. (Good for when EV lights up 72.5.)
I use a *C 75cm dish with a Flexi-block adapter and two DirecTV dual LNBs.
The *C dish itself is identical to the GainMaster but lacks the 3 LNB adapter.
That would probably be great up north in Canada.
However, for US-based folks, especially southwest, California, southeast, or tip of Texas, I'd look for something bigger.

Last edited:
With my 30" Winegard, I get a 80 signal on satellite 82 transponder 16. I think that is the right one that TSN HD is on. I get all of the signals from 82 pretty good except for transponder 23 which shows a 65 or lower on my 9200. When it rains hard, I lose all signal on most of the channels on 82 even with the bigger dish. I'm moving in a few weeks into a new house where I'll be able to have more dishes/bigger ones up. I may try to buy that bigger dish from 3ABN to use with 82 to help with rain/snow fade.

Thanks for all the replies, seems I was looking for the wrong transponder, somewhere I heard that it was six when these links show it as 16.

onward ho, I will try to tweak the dish a bit to see what sig if any I can get.

The 100.2 dish made no difference whats so ever, so I guess I am looking for a 36"+ for the Bev82

I'm in Austin Texas and my signal level for TSN-HD resides around ~57% (50-60) using a single Dish500 DP Dual for 82 and 91. I would think the coverage would be better in CO than Austin. I have 0 signal on several odd's and 48-60 on the TP's that I can see.

I'm in Austin Texas and my signal level for TSN-HD resides around ~57% (50-60) using a single Dish500 DP Dual for 82 and 91. I would think the coverage would be better in CO than Austin. I have 0 signal on several odd's and 48-60 on the TP's that I can see.

I am getting a solid signal of 54 on TP 16, but nothing in the guide for channel 850 or 851. I would think that should be enough for it to show up in the guide as my CBCHD channel shows me a picture with 48??

Seems to me like its not a signal issue, but I may need to call BEV? I tried earlier today, but kept getting hung up on when they were transfering me to service...:mad:

There was some suggestion on this thread that the signals from 82 are getting weaker. As I am about to make my annual migration, this caught my interest and I'm wondering if I need to take a 24" dish with me instead of the 18" I was using last year which was giving me signal strengths mostly in the 60's. Also, can anyone tell me where to find out what transponders are on which of the 2 "Nimiqs" at 82 as some channels have switched and I have not kept up with them. I see for example that CBCHD is now on tp 8 which according to my records I was not receiving last year but was getting tp 23 which CBC was on. Thanks for any help.:confused:

There was some suggestion on this thread that the signals from 82 are getting weaker. As I am about to make my annual migration, this caught my interest and I'm wondering if I need to take a 24" dish with me instead of the 18" I was using last year which was giving me signal strengths mostly in the 60's. Also, can anyone tell me where to find out what transponders are on which of the 2 "Nimiqs" at 82 as some channels have switched and I have not kept up with them. I see for example that CBCHD is now on tp 8 which according to my records I was not receiving last year but was getting tp 23 which CBC was on. Thanks for any help.:confused:

TheList here at SatelliteGuys is kept up to date. You can also sort by transponder, channel number, etc.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=sub

It depends on where you are going in the USA.
If you're staying clear of the west coast, and above the lower third of the country, ya may not need to change your plans.
Since you got by with an 18" last year, I'm going to assume you weren't in an affected area.

If you are going to an area without much bad weather, maybe rain-fade isn't a problem.
I know I don't see it where I live. :)

Of course, if you have the room, taking a 24" would be good insurance that you'll have a solid signal.
Never hurts to err on the side of caution. :eureka

As I am about to make my annual migration, ...
... and I'm wondering if I need to take a 24" dish with me instead of the 18" I was using last year
which was giving me signal strengths mostly in the 60's.
I'm assuming you are using a single LNB for 91, and not viewing hi def on 82..?

I am getting a solid signal of 54 on TP 16, but nothing in the guide for channel 850 or 851. I would think that should be enough for it to show up in the guide as my CBCHD channel shows me a picture with 48??

Seems to me like its not a signal issue, but I may need to call BEV? I tried earlier today, but kept getting hung up on when they were transfering me to service...:mad:

Alright, quick update,

Finally got a hold of BEV they sent a re hit and channels came back! good strong signal on TSNHD with a dish500 dish. End of story thanks for all the replies.
:):D:)
Stefan

Thanks a bunch, Digiblur, for the link.:up I thought it was somewhere, but didn't know where. With regard to the info there, it shows some tps as non SE US which according to my records I was getting last year and others the other way around. Does this mean that the tps have moved or does my location in the SW make a difference from the SE? (I hope this question is not too far off topic)

Thanks also Anole. I am going to PS California as last year. I use a separate 18" for 91 and I was refering to the one I use for 82. The only problem with taking the 24" is that I don't have a spare like I do the 18" and must take one I currently use here so this requires more work. But as you say, "Never hurts to err on the side of caution. :eureka: "

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts