Billing nightmare and bait and switch tactics -- Should I expect this from now on?

So... out of one side of your mouth you say that he was too hard on Dish by asserting firmly for what he asked for and was promised in the first place... but out of the other side of your mouth you chastise him when he doesn't take personal responsibility for his own financial well-being and remembering 'buyer beware'?!

I prescribe a nice stiff dose of Clozapine for you, geonaz and TheBobert.

No, they're pointing out that hi lied to Dish about talking to Direct and lied about Direct offering him "x, y, z" in order to get Dish to offer something for free that is usually not free.

And no, I'm not saying that what Dish did is right. Just emphaizing the point that others have made and that you are misinterpreting.

What you portray as 'lying' is not such, as he had in fact researched the Direct offering. (to whatever extent) But for some reason you three hillbillies try to Blame The Victim.

Why would you attack someone for asserting themselves? For not being a sucker, when we've seen examples here of Dish unreasonably taking from us, time and again? Are you three suckers?

I hope you have a problem with Dish soon, so we can attack you.

What you portray as 'lying' is not such, as he had in fact researched the Direct offering. (to whatever extent) But for some reason you three hillbillies try to Blame The Victim.

He said he didnt research it but based his call on people here saying to try this tactic to get better deals. Oh, and while some would say he is a victim others would say he is a con artist. So, he tried to take Dish for a ride and they took him for one right back. That said, two wrongs dont make a right and it doesnt excuse Dish's own actions.

I always start recording when I hear "this call may be recorded..." and have had the occasion to play it back to supervisors. It comes in very handy.

The ability to record a conversation on a phone depends on the laws of your state. For example, In MN, only one party of the conversation needs to be aware of the recording. So as long as you know you're recording it, that's good enough. Other states require both parties to be aware, and some also require a tone to be beeped on the line.

Does Dish not run things through a second party when signing up new folks? I recall when I did a couple changes with dish, I had the agreement cut with the CSR, and then they forwarded me onto a 3rd party that then confirmed everything by reading it back to me, and getting my authorization to go forward with the service.

Why would you attack someone for asserting themselves? For not being a sucker, when we've seen examples here of Dish unreasonably taking from us, time and again? Are you three suckers?

I hope you have a problem with Dish soon, so we can attack you.

First of all, why resort to name calling? Honestly, just because we feel that the initial statements he made to get a free 722 were wrong doesn't make us worthy of name calling. As for researching what Direct offers, well his own words speak for themselves:

While I didn't directly talk with DirecTV, I did go to their website and saw an advertisement for a free upgrade to an advanced receiver. What that entails, I have no idea, but that's all I told DISH.

Frankly I didn't check on DirecTVs deals because people here said if you mention another carrier they will give you what you ask for most of the time.

Where I come from that's not doing research that's trying to BS your way into getting something you're not initially entitled to. That was the extent to which I was calling him out on this.

This whole blame the victim nonesense, where are you getting that exactly? I specifically said that I wasn't saying Dish was right. However he got them to agree to it, they agreed to give him a 722 for free and I'm with him on ensuring they make good on that. But please, spare me the victim nonesense; he's clearly trying to get something for nothing here and crying about the complications in getting it.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but I'm not particularly sympathetic to his situation either.

Dude, I don't know what your problem is. I saw on DirecTVs website about a free advanced reciever. In order to find out what that actually means I would probably have to sit on the line with a DTV agent for 30 mins and never get a straight answer. Instead I told DISH I would be their customer if they could give me the receiver and they agreed. If they didn't want to give it to me, they should have said this upfront instead of binding me to a 24 month contract and then trying to back out once they had me by the balls. Sure, what I did was in my best interest, but I hardly think it was unethical or slimy. I'm sure as hell not going to call up DISH and ask them what's the best way for them to make the most money off of me. Naturally I am going to try to save myself the most money that I possibly can.

I may be a consumer that is trying to look out for myself and preserve my self interest, but I refuse to apologize for it. I use coupons, price matches, etc. If you think using a company's own policies to your advantage is somehow unethical then maybe you need to reevaluate your thinking.

And btw, you aren't "calling me out" on anything. I freely admit I try to get the best deal I can. Don't think you are sticking it to me or embarrassing me by "calling me out".

I don't have a problem with you. I'm all for coupons and price matches and such. From the earlier posts it did seem that you leveraged an imaginary promise from direct to get Dish to provide you something for free. Again, I agree that Dish is in the wrong in not meeting it's promise. You should go after and get that enforced. I'm just not thrilled with your tactics (that is if you did imply that you could get D's 722 equivalent for free and that E better give you that for free or you'll go with D when you never talked to D). If this isn't how the conversation went, then I retract my reservations about what you did. I'm all for pitting one company against the other, but lying about it to get a better deal is crossing a line in my book.

Again, I am not trying to imply that E is not at fault in not doing what they promised.

BTW, I used the expression "calling you out" because quantum accused me of attacking you in his post. I felt that "attacking" was not at all what I was doing, but calling you out might be an apt description.

EDIT: to address your original topic, Dish's billing can be screwy to say the least. Keep an eye out whenever you have rebates or credits coming to make sure they show up. Also, when you switch service and their are partial charges or new equipment charges it can be a pain to decipher the bill. But barring those rare instances I haven't had any major problems.

I think it is a shame that someone has to go through all of that hassle to get the deal that they were promised to begin with.

The ability to record a conversation on a phone depends on the laws of your state. For example, In MN, only one party of the conversation needs to be aware of the recording. So as long as you know you're recording it, that's good enough. Other states require both parties to be aware, and some also require a tone to be beeped on the line.

When they say the "call may be recorded" they provide permission from their end. They never say "might be". You provide the permission on your end. Both parties have therefore given their permission. The open question is what laws apply when it is an interstate or international call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)