Former MPEG2 HD channels are almost Blu-Ray like in MPEG4

S

smooth28la

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2004
HBO-E (300), Sho-E, HDNet, HDNet-Movies and Discovery HD are currently using the same bandwidth it had when they were MPEG2. I have to say the HD picture quality looks especially amazing on HDNet. The trailer show's movie clips look almost Blu-Ray like!

I'm DVR-ing shows from these channels as much as I can before the picture quality/bandwidth gets reduced.

Anyone else doing the same?

digiblur

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Yep, they are using the same bandwidth as before since the TMP channels are not using much bandwidth. I've seen some of them hitting around 10-12 megabits at times. I guess you could say that is around 24 megabits at MPEG2. Except Blu-Ray is 1920x1080p and this is 1440x1080i.

kenny9966

kenny9966

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 6, 2004
Stillwater Oklahoma
even using the same amount of bandwidth to the naked eye i really dont think u can see the difference unless u are using some OMG 50 in+ tv screen. I may be wrong though. I am def liking my new HD and yes HBO looks and sounds amazing right now.

osu1991

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
I wasn't sure if it was the new 60in Mitsubishi I got last week to replace a 50in or just the switch to mpeg 4, because a lot of the channels look better now. This tv probably does a better job than the 4 year old one it replaced.

B

BuddyBoy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 13, 2006
SF Bay Area
Dish HD PQ is improved, but I just started playing what happened to be in my PS3 at the moment (Blade Runner - only rated tier 2 PQ in the Blu Ray PQ thread on AVSForum, with tier 0 being the best) and there is no comparison. Maybe on a small TV at a distance you might think they're comparable, but they're still far apart on my TV.