Billings, MT HD Locals?

ehurlbut

Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Has anyone heard if Billings, MT will get HD locals on dish? I do believe that they will be the last HD locals to be picked up. I live 100 miles from there towers so OTA HD is not possible. Any news or solutions for us here in nowhere land?

Check your signal strength on transponder 5 on 129W. That transponder carries the Butte locals (ABC, NBC, CBS, no Fox yet). If you get a strong enough signal to lock on, the transponder should change to be designated as a spotbeam. If so, you can "move" to that DMA. Great Falls is another possibility. Their HD locals are on transponder 13. Not knowing exactly where you are located, you should probably go to The List (link below) and look for markets in your general area. Click on the spotbeam and see a map for predicted coverage. Then see what signal strength you see for whatever transponder the market is on and whether you can lock it to a spotbeam. There's also All American Direct, but it's pricey for HD.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dn129?=true

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 129°W

I am in Cody, Wy south of billings. I do get the transponder 5 to change to spotbeam but the strength is only a 9. Is that strong enough?

I feel your pain (about 150 miles from towers for me, just to the west instead of south). When I asked the GM's of the Billings stations, I got the impression it wouldn't be soon since they said they weren't even talking to Dish a few months ago. I haven't seen any positive signs since Billings was on the 2008 map that was posted, but then haven't heard anything about Billings since.