Birdog problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tech007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
California
My Birdog is acting weird lately not sure what could cause the problem. Spent hours trying to get signal on AT9 dish and my meter couldnt find the sattelite. Asked another tech to stop by and help and he had no problem finding the satellite in a matter of seconds. When he was done his Birdog would show 99% strength while mine would only show 80%. But before he aligned the dish I couldnt get ANY signal at all.

I dont know if thats a bad meter or some factors causing the problem. I read the manual and it says meter only can work in temperature range between 32 and 100 degrees. Is it possible that heat is causing it to malfunction?

tech007 said:
My Birdog is acting weird lately not sure what could cause the problem. Spent hours trying to get signal on AT9 dish and my meter couldnt find the sattelite. Asked another tech to stop by and help and he had no problem finding the satellite in a matter of seconds. When he was done his Birdog would show 99% strength while mine would only show 80%. But before he aligned the dish I couldnt get ANY signal at all.

I dont know if thats a bad meter or some factors causing the problem. I read the manual and it says meter only can work in temperature range between 32 and 100 degrees. Is it possible that heat is causing it to malfunction?

If any electronic device is operated outside its recommended temps, than yes, fluctuations would occur in the various circuits (if not outright damage), and in the case of a meter, readings could be skewed, additionally, this could vary from device to device (meter or not), even if the same model, so one may work fine while the other does not.

Bringing the device to normal operation tematures may solve the skewing, if no damage has been done to any of the components that is.

Last edited:
Do you have “BER” turned on instead of “FOUND”? This will slow the meter down in recognizing a transponder. How about Log vs Linear? This will show a big difference between modes, otherwise most Birdogs read similar. There is no user calibration on the Birdog that I know of. The “software” is not user changeable but satellite transponder downloads are. Do you have the latest “Ka/Ku 5-LNB” download? Excessive heat could be a problem but you would probably post that it works by now if so. How are you getting several hours of constant use peaking an AT9? I only get about an hour of use before charging.
Bob

little dish guy said:
Do you have “BER” turned on instead of “FOUND”? This will slow the meter down in recognizing a transponder. How about Log vs Linear? This will show a big difference between modes, otherwise most Birdogs read similar. There is no user calibration on the Birdog that I know of. The “software” is not user changeable but satellite transponder downloads are. Do you have the latest “Ka/Ku 5-LNB” download? Excessive heat could be a problem but you would probably post that it works by now if so. How are you getting several hours of constant use peaking an AT9? I only get about an hour of use before charging.
Bob

Yes I did latest download of Ka/Ku 101 and 119 satellites. And my meter menu reads the following:
- RF Linear
- Found
- BER Log

About several hours of peaking I was exhaggerating of course it probably took me 20 minutes before I gave up.

Now this Birdog had only one problems from the very beginning. When charge goes down to about 72% meter shows Low battery and goes to 0. I noticed other tech's Birdog was doing the same. So I would estimate it only lasts me for 1 hour and I have to recharge it every night to guarantee it wont fail next day.

I had it for about 8 months and never had problem with peaking dishes both regular and AT9. Just lately I noticed lower signal on all types of dishes (regular receivers would show the same strength, H20 a little lower than it used to).

I only did "hard reset" on Birdog - unplugged the battery and then recharged it. (IF you try resetting it keep in mind that charge goes to 0 so dont do this while in the field.)

So far lately I ve been successful peaking AT9. I always make sure now it is charged completely and doesnt sit on the sun before I start.

Signal strength still bothers me. Round dish used to show 99%, now its 80-85 and sometimes lower. Triple sat is much lower than that on both 101 and 119. AT9 shows different signa depending on the area but 119 satellite is at about 50% which seems low.

little dish guy said:
How are you getting several hours of constant use peaking an AT9? I only get about an hour of use before charging.
Bob

:eek: :eek: :eek:

What? thats insane, i do one sometimes 2 Ka/Ku's aday and a few multi's lots of basics. i charge my Dog once a week.

Maybe just Maybe, i belive the battery is a Ni-Cad maybe even a Ni-MH either or, you have to run the batt ALL THE WAY DOWN once in a while to keep the battery memory at full capacity, i usually run mine all the way down to 4-6% percent before charging.

I am afraid to wait till my birdog completely discharges because in this case I will be in the field stuck with unaligned dish. I rather charge it every night and sleep well. I dont think it has anything to do with Ni-Ca its just a defective meter and it was this way from the beginning. And worsening signal strength is another proof its a bad piece of equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)