BitTorrent Urges Netflix to Switch to P2P, Netflix Exploring It

They supposedly keep the public wifi and your private wifi separate, both with separate bandwidth and networks. I do not really see any harm, and it could be useful if you are roaming around.

They supposedly keep the public wifi and your private wifi separate, both with separate bandwidth and networks. I do not really see any harm, and it could be useful if you are roaming around.

I've read reports that it DOES reduce your personal bandwidth, so if that's true, it's not really separate. Not only that, what if the public user does something illicit while they're logged in to your gateway? Can that be traced back to you? Doesn't sound like anything I'd want to mess with. I'll keep my internet service that I pay for private, thank you very much.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
They run a separate IP address for the public WiFi and the person has to sign in/use the app to get access so they know who it is. It is not free WiFi, but a benefit of the cable internet subscription.

They run a separate IP address for the public WiFi and the person has to sign in/use the app to get access so they know who it is. It is not free WiFi, but a benefit of the cable internet subscription.

I understand that, but they're still using YOUR equipment to do that. The terms and conditions allow you to opt-out of the sharing by calling customer service, so obviously Comcast is aware that some people have an issue with it. The other person who is logging in isn't paying a lease fee to use your gateway.

Luckily, it doesn't cost much to buy your own modem.

I guess I just would not worry about it since you would pretty much have to be in my house to use my WiFi, so it would just be friends that could roam on to it. I do not live on a busy corner of a city where who knows how many people might be walking by.

I guess I just would not worry about it since you would pretty much have to be in my house to use my WiFi, so it would just be friends that could roam on to it. I do not live on a busy corner of a city where who knows how many people might be walking by.

Not necessarily. There are several people in my neighborhood who have the Comcast shared gateways and I get a solid signal from those inside my house. If I wanted to use them, I could with no trouble. I hear what you're sayin', man, I guess I just feel that it's a potential security concern and also the fact that you're paying a lease fee and the other person isn't. If I use the wifi at McDonald's, it's because McDonald's wants to be a hotspot. When Comcast decides that it is turning my gateway into a hotspot without my consent, no matter how secure they say it is, and I'm paying them $7 per month to have that equipment, it bothers me.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
They did this to my cousin in Houston. And she’s had nothing but trouble since. She lives in an apartment complex and several people living in the same area all had their computers hacked and infested with bad stuff and it cost them an unhealthy chunk of cash to have their computers “cleaned up”. No one there could figure out why they were all having such a bad time until I brought this to their attention.
Now they have to get someone out there to disable this BAD OPTION because they are all totally computer idiots that can barely figure out how to log in to faceborg, much less even turn the power on.

Not the brightest bunch. My suspicion is that some ne’er-do-well dirtbag has been sitting within range of them and hacking them.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/06/free-wi-fi-from-xfinity-and-att-also-frees-you-to-be-hacked/

Reactions: comfortably_numb
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/06/free-wi-fi-from-xfinity-and-att-also-frees-you-to-be-hacked/

As the article says, you can set up a hot spot of your own called xfinitywifi and use it to harvest all the credentials of passersby...

That means that if someone were to set up a malicious Wi-Fi access point called “xfinitywifi,” devices that have connected to Xfinity’s network before could automatically connect without alerting the user or asking for the password. Alternatively, using a “honeypot” tool such as PwnStar, an attacker could spoof both the “xfinitywifi” SSID and the Xfinity login page—stealing their Xfinity credentials in the process.