Black bars on top and bottom

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I have my 811 hooked up to a 4:3 analog set(Sharp 32C540) via S-video, and on some channels I'm getting black bars on top AND bottom(image centered on screen with black border all the way around). It's happening on digital OTA channels(ABC, CBS, NBC, and an independent network from Milwaukee, channel 18). Is there any way to fix this? Is it how these networks are broadcasting the signal? It is not happening on any of the sat. channels, or the analog channels. What is the difference between 4:3(#1) and 4:3(#2) in 811's aspect ratio menu? Which setting should I use? Thanks.

Digital OTA signals that do HD, are sent out at HD Specs 24/7. So standard content will be window boxed all the way around, and HD content will obviously be letterboxed.

To Zoom in on just the middle 4:3 area of the picture, just hit the page down button when your on the Digital OTA station

You should be able to fix this by using the "page down" button on your remote to zoom in on the center of the picture.

This happens when local stations take their standard definition 4x3 picture and upconvert it to high definition. All high def is 16x9, so side bars are added to the 4x3 picture to fill it out to 16x9. Because you are looking at a 4x3 monitor, the 811 letterboxes the 16x9 picture to fit on your 4x3 screen. And you end up with a postage stamp sized picture on your TV.

Fortunately the engineers at Dish thought of this and added the "Zoom" feature.

Black bars

Thanks guys. I just did what you said and it worked. Those channels have a real image now. What is the difference between 4:3(#1) and 4:3(#2) in the Aspect Ratio section, under HDTV Setup? Do they even apply to my analog set?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)