BLACK IS Beautiful! World's ONLY BLACK VIP211

Shepherd777

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Okay, here's how I made my new VIP211 BLACK color to match the rest of my stuff.

After removing the 211 metal cover, I removed the plastic faceplate. There are 2 plexiglas insert panels glued with double-stick tape to the front of the faceplate. One panel covers the proposed new smart-card door. The other is over the IR remote sensor, the 5 buttons, and the power L.E.D. / button.

I took a hair drier (hey, I don't use it much anymore anyways, now that most of my hair fell out in my "old age") to heat up the glue on the double-stick tape. I wedged a dry-wall knife between to help removal.

I then used a fine scoth-brite pad and removed all the silver color on the main face plate. They also paint silver the back of the 2 plexiglas panels, so I removed the silver from there as well. Echostar stencils all the decals and switch descriptions on the front side of the panels. So when you remove the silver from the back of the inserts, the stencils are not affected.

I cleaned everything with Mineral Spirits and then sprayed several coats of Rustoleum Direct-To-Plastic Paint on the plastic faceplate and the BACK of the plexiglas inserts. This retains the stencling. No primer is required with this paint, and it looks great.

Now all I am waiting for is Middle Atlantic to have some other VIP211 owner ship them a unit so they can make a template and get the dimensions in their database. They have a form to use to just measure for a custom rack-mount cutout. However it does not account for the 211's nicely radiused outside front corners. So I am waiting until they get a real one to measure. If anyone has a Middle Atlantic rack and a new 211, please send it to Middle Atlantic so they can get it into their dabase, before you install it. :)

Then I will install the new rack faceplate around the VIP211.

Attachments

• 211 removal1.JPG
    211 removal1.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 408
  • 211 3.JPG
    211 3.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 424
  • 211 4.JPG
    211 4.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 462
  • black_VIP211.JPG
    black_VIP211.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Hmm kind of cool. I have a feeling my unit will have a color change, although mine will be covered with Dust color... No wait that is real dust. :D

Tom Bombadil said:
Is this is purchased or a leased 211?

I.e., did you just deface equipment that Dish owns, in the hope that it doesn't need a swap out?

Nope. I own it. Bought last week at DishDepot for $379.00

Sold my 6000 on FleaBay to some dude in Canada for $375.00 in 1 hour on Saturday.

Total cost for the 211?

$4.00 (okay not counting FleaBay and PayPal fees, those robbers)

Having the world's only BLACK VIP211 - Priceless!

I still have the Dish $1.99 month Service Plan. They told me I was Grand-Fathered in at the $1.99 price and if I re-newed it at the end on the 211 warranty, it would cost me $4.99 a month. So I kept it. If it ever craps out, I just remove my beautiful BLACK plastic face plate and swap it with the one from the warranty unit. :)

Last edited:
Tom Bombadil said:
Good deal.

I had no idea that 6000's still sold in the $375 neighborhood.

When I did mine on Saturday, 5 recent sales averaged $392.00. (I did my homework, so I knew that)

I then put that $392.00 number in the ad, with a B.I.N. of $375.00, and offered to send bidders the URL's of the 5 previous recent sales.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)