Blackouts???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimy2shooz

Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
Rochester NY
Hey folks..new to the site hope I'm in the right forum :eek: I'm pretty close to dumping TWC and signing up with Directv. One question I have and have asked several Directv CSR's and haven't gotten a confident answer yet?? I love watching hockey and was wondering that seeing I live in Rochester NY, I was wondering if the Islanders,Rangers,and Devils will be blacked out because I live in Sabre land?? I know the Center Ice pkg is available..don't want to spend the $$ if I don't have to...that's why I'm kicking TWC to the curb!! Thanks for your help.

Hey folks..new to the site hope I'm in the right forum :eek: I'm pretty close to dumping TWC and signing up with Directv. One question I have and have asked several Directv CSR's and haven't gotten a confident answer yet?? I love watching hockey and was wondering that seeing I live in Rochester NY, I was wondering if the Islanders,Rangers,and Devils will be blacked out because I live in Sabre land?? I know the Center Ice pkg is available..don't want to spend the $$ if I don't have to...that's why I'm kicking TWC to the curb!! Thanks for your help.

Go to this page and put in your zip code. It will tell you what teams you will receive:Local Regional Sports Network Information

Thanks. Been there. Don't have much confidence in the CSR's or the jibberish that's on their website..a lot of gray area and vagueness(is that a word??). Was looking for someone that can verify this..gotta feeling when the Sabres are on..the other teams will be blacked out. Thanks for the help though

Thanks. Been there. Don't have much confidence in the CSR's or the jibberish that's on their website..a lot of gray area and vagueness(is that a word??). Was looking for someone that can verify this..gotta feeling when the Sabres are on..the other teams will be blacked out. Thanks for the help though

If the Sabres is your home team then you will be blacked out of other games if you were trying to watch them on another local area's FSN channel. If the game is on say NBC or any other national channel then you will probably be able to see it.

No Directv for me! Canceled my pending order last night. Installation was scheduled for this Friday. Didn't have a good feeling for some reason..plus I want my VS for the NHL. The kicker was I buying an additional DVR for $100...but still have to pay $5 lease fee for equipment I bought????? Freakin' TWC gets my $$$ for a little longer!!

The kicker was I buying an additional DVR for $100...but still have to pay $5 lease fee for equipment I bought????? Freakin' TWC gets my $$$ for a little longer!!

The $100 isn't a purchase fee, it's more of an equipment upgrade fee. All receivers, after the 1st, have the $5/month lease fee. If you want a basic SD receiver you can get those with no upfront payment. However, if you want advanced receivers you have to pay the 'upgrade' charge, $100 for a SD DVR or HD receivr and $199 for a HD DVR. Usually when you evaulate the costs over a couple of years that upgrade charg+lease fee come out to be less then the monthly charge that cable companies charge for their hardware.

The $100 isn't a purchase fee, it's more of an equipment upgrade fee. All receivers, after the 1st, have the $5/month lease fee. If you want a basic SD receiver you can get those with no upfront payment. However, if you want advanced receivers you have to pay the 'upgrade' charge, $100 for a SD DVR or HD receivr and $199 for a HD DVR. Usually when you evaulate the costs over a couple of years that upgrade charg+lease fee come out to be less then the monthly charge that cable companies charge for their hardware.

I understand..but bottom line is I buy it and own it but still have to pay a lease fee. Why should i have to buy the upgrade..they should provide it as long as I'm still paying the damn lease fee! I guess it's semantics..don't call it a lease fee then!

I understand..but bottom line is I buy it and own it but still have to pay a lease fee. Why should i have to buy the upgrade..they should provide it as long as I'm still paying the damn lease fee! I guess it's semantics..don't call it a lease fee then!

OK, forget the owned part, you don't own a damn thing, you lease it. If you lease a car you usually have to pay something upfront and monthly lease payment but you don't own it. The $5/month IS a lease fee, you need to stop thinking that the upfront charge is a purchase fee, you're not buying anything, you're paying an upgrade charge.

If you want to actually own the hardware then you must pay a much large upfront fee, IIRC the HD DVR was around $500, but even then they will then charge you a $5/month receiver mirroring fee. So either way you're going to pay a $5/month receiver fee after the 1st receiver.

No, you dont buy and own it for that price. You pay an upfront lease fee and then basically rent it. D* still owns the box.

I understand your point of view though.

No, you dont buy and own it for that price. You pay an upfront lease fee and then basically rent it. D* still owns the box.

I understand your point of view though.

You mean I pay $100 and still have to give it back to them??? That's even worsre!! Ripoff. NFW will I go the sat. route knowing that!

You mean I pay $100 and still have to give it back to them??? That's even worsre!! Ripoff. NFW will I go the sat. route knowing that!
Yes. It is the same with pretty much any LEASE program.

Whether you get it from them, or pick it up at Best Buy. For that price, it is still a leased unit 99.9% of the time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)