Block Buster vs Netflix

Been lucky so far. I never watch two movies on the same day, so it works ok. If I watch a movie on Sat night and one on Sun night, I dont send them both back on Monday.

That makes no difference. With Netflix, I've found they prefer you to keep older releases longer and return newer releases faster. That keeps you in their good graces. Blockbuster is similar.

Blockbuster is miles aheads of Netflix in sending out new releases sooner. Netflix was the king of MONTHS long waits. I only have long waits with Blockbuster on HD DVD's. C'est la vie. Blockbuster is much better on mainstream Blu-Ray's. Netflix wins on indy film selections as well as their willingness to rent NC-17 movies. BB will only rent the unrated or R versions of NC-17 films. :rolleyes:

You did not read his question. The question was asked about movie overlap since I have the same list in each queue. I dont send one from Blockbuster and one from Netflix back on Mondays, I have to stagger them so I can see who ships what next. This keeps me from getting the same movie from both services at the same time.

Well, BB is behind, but I think you'll see about 10 services doing all that. Knowing MS, the Xbox will do them all.

I'm not sure if MS will play with BB. BB doesn't do the free streaming that Netflix does. BB does the pay for a movie rental like Xbox Live, Vudu, etc. BB will need to revampt their model or get left in the dust once again. BB needs to make nice with Nintendo or Sony as Tivo, MS and Vudu have all made their beds with Netflix. Apple won't let anyone join their reindeer games. However, Apple is a non-starter in the set top game. The multichannel providers and their suppliers (Echostar, Scientific Atlanta/Cisco, etc.) are the real players in the set top game. However, I doubt they want to jeopardize PPV and pay TV subscription revenue by allowing streaming services other than the half-baked stuff they offer via OnDemand, Dish Online, etc.

I thought there was talk that BB had worked out a deal with Sony to offer their download service on the PS3?

There was a article from Blockbuster that commented something like "we hope you'll see our service on a game console early next year"

If anyone it would be Sony, and even then probably more for branding than anything else. They're just now pushing their 'downloadable movie box' ad campaign. They're interesting commercials, because they just say you can download all these movies... no indication of fees, rental periods or anything (and calls it downloading, instead of renting).

Netflix is special because it's buffet pricing, most everyone else is still PPV basically aside from on demand, which doesn't really compare price-wise.

Not sure this warranted a new thread, but they're changing their shipping philosophy:

“We have 55 shipping centers throughout the U.S., including Anchorage, Alaska and Honolulu, Hawaii. Previously, if the movie you wanted was not in stock locally, we sent it from another shipping center. Since this DVD was shipped from farther away, it took longer to arrive and you could end up without a DVD for a few days. This was especially inconvenient for our members on 1-disc plans. Now, if your first choice is not available in your local shipping center, we immediately send the next locally available movie in your Queue, and whenever possible, we also send your first choice from another part of the country.”

The Official Netflix Blog: New DVD shipping process

One other change I've noticed from Netflix: when I put a disc in the mail on Saturday, instead of shipping me that coming Tuesday's new release on Monday from the top spot in my queue, I'm getting the next available already released title.

I wonder if a change in policy prohibits them from shipping new releases the day before the official release day?

So far, I have went through a bunch of movies in a few weeks, got one bad disk and hit the report problem option and a new one is on the way.

I have no complaints with Net Flix for now, it's been great, just hope they keep up the good work.

Wish they would add an option to get x-box games !

With Blockbuster, can you go to a store and work off your list without returning one?

I have heard and seen some theories on the Netflix new customer priority on releases... But until facts are shown, it's just a theory.

This would make since from this quote from netflix... (Netflix to Blu-ray Subs: Screw You!)

"What we're doing is giving new releases to the person who hasn't rented as much," he said. "We've been doing this for a couple of years and fully disclose this in our terms of agreement. If we have a shortage of titles we do what we think is equitable and give the title to the person who hasn't rented as much or who hasn't gotten as much enjoyment from the service."

So a new customer would not have rented as much and would get first spot in the queue

For me the big advantage of blockbuster are the in-store exchanges. Since I've been a long time subscriber, I still have the "old" deal of unlimited exchanges + 1 game coupon and with a store on my way from work to home I can't ask for any more.

Walter I would agree that is one of the things now that I have had netflix for a while I can see being a HUge positive for me, just because blockbuster is 5 minutes away from me, right by the pizza and ice cream shops :) its the ultimate date night :)

Anyone used the XBox360 Netflix service... I know they have 90% less titles to start, but how is it working for real life use? Do they have most of the new releases?

Haven't signed up yet, but am considering it for films I want to see, but not own....

Anyone used the XBox360 Netflix service... I know they have 90% less titles to start, but how is it working for real life use? Do they have most of the new releases?

Haven't signed up yet, but am considering it for films I want to see, but not own....

I have, works fine, not everything is HD but got to see a lot of old concert films. Hendrix- Steppenwolf. Some BS but others ok. Watched Letters from Iwo Jima in HD.

Its fantastic, but no new releases really. Try a free trial, or just give it a shot for a month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts