Blockbuster now on Roku

I think PPV, as offered traditionally by the cable and satellite companies, are for a different "crowd". To some degree, it's for people who don't want the perceived "hassle" of going to the video store. In fact, let me paraphrase a commercial for PPV that I remember seeing at one time:

Don't go out in the cold and rain, fight the crowds at the video store, waste your money on gas, worry about late fees, and then find out they don't have the movie you wanted.

I've never rented a PPV when I had cable. With Dish, I've rented 3-4 in 8+ years (not counting 'free' ones that I had certificates for). When I did, it was out of sheer laziness ! :D

The typical Roku (or other streaming device user) may not have a subscription to cable or satellite. They are aware, and have access to, alternatives, so they'll shop around for better prices.

I have never rented a PPV on Dish, only when I got certificates.

But I remember when I was a kid, the PPV were almost the same in price as the rent in other places, and newer movies, so we rented a movie as a family every Saturday... good old times :p

As more and more viewers, Dish or otherwise, gain streaming media capabilies, whether through new TVs, BD/DVD players, and/or STBs, pricing for sat/cable ppv will have to come down to match. Or, people will simply stop purchasing thru sat/cable. It's really that simple.

Sent from a tablet using an app

Or the content providers will up the streaming fees to Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu+, etc. At that point the disputes won't be with sat/cable but with the streaming providers. In any event don't expect the content providers to drop their profit margins.

Or the content providers will up the streaming fees to Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu+, etc. At that point the disputes won't be with sat/cable but with the streaming providers. In any event don't expect the content providers to drop their profit margins.
This is so true. Once the squeeze on these services starts in earnest marginal providers such as BB will then be written off and they will have to change bb@home to some other gimmicky name in an attempt to keep the $$ rolling in.

Earnings are achieved through margin and volume. PPV is not gasoline or milk. If the price is too high, people will simply not buy it. If the price is acceptable, people will buy it. If the price provides real value, people will buy it a lot.

Last edited:
I think PPV, as offered traditionally by the cable and satellite companies, are for a different "crowd". To some degree, it's for people who don't want the perceived "hassle" of going to the video store. In fact, let me paraphrase a commercial for PPV that I remember seeing at one time:

Don't go out in the cold and rain, fight the crowds at the video store, waste your money on gas, worry about late fees, and then find out they don't have the movie you wanted.

I've never rented a PPV when I had cable. With Dish, I've rented 3-4 in 8+ years (not counting 'free' ones that I had certificates for). When I did, it was out of sheer laziness ! :D

The typical Roku (or other streaming device user) may not have a subscription to cable or satellite. They are aware, and have access to, alternatives, so they'll shop around for better prices.
It is a different time then that of the commercials you mention. Streaming and cable/sat viewers are no longer "a different crowd". Yes. There are some old-timers who will never get the streaming deal, just like there are those who still write checks at the supermarket, and order from QVC, rather than use debit cards or ordering online. But, those old-timers aren't gonna be paying $6-7 dollars for a movie on TV, either.

Satellite providers are at a disadvantage when competing cable companies for movies. If you have a HBO, Showtime, etc. subscription on cable you have much more flexibility and bigger selection of movies and playing them when you want to watch. This flexibility makes a premium subscription an easier sale on cable. Same with PPV as you can start a selection when you want it. No need to download and record it or arrange your viewing schedule to when the next showing is.

That is why both Dish and Direct need to offer as many options as possible for delivering video.

Satellite providers are at a disadvantage when competing cable companies for movies. If you have a HBO, Showtime, etc. subscription on cable you have much more flexibility and bigger selection of movies and playing them when you want to watch.
What do you mean? Dish and Direct both have a pretty big selection of On Demand from HBO, Starz, etc. (Although, Dish is way behind with Showtime OD. Not sure why. The technology is there.)

Satellite providers are at a disadvantage when competing cable companies for movies. If you have a HBO, Showtime, etc. subscription on cable you have much more flexibility and bigger selection of movies and playing them when you want to watch. This flexibility makes a premium subscription an easier sale on cable.
Sats have DVRs too, so I don't know where you're coming from with that.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Dish and Direct both have a pretty big selection of On Demand from HBO, Starz, etc. (Although, Dish is way behind with Showtime OD. Not sure why. The technology is there.)

The current HBO line up has 227 movies available for streaming on Comcast.

Need more movies and TV series add StreamPix.

All available through your cable box no need to rely on an internet connection.

The current HBO line up has 227 movies available for streaming on Comcast.

Need more movies and TV series add StreamPix.

All available through your cable box no need to rely on an internet connection.
I haven't counted how much HBO VOD Dish offers. But, it's probably around that, maybe more, as they expanded their HBO offerings last year to almost match what's available on HBO GO. But, as you point out, you do need a BB connection. However, I don't think that's really a problem for most people.

I swear there was something about HBO Go access. Was it with the Hopper?

I swear there was something about HBO Go access. Was it with the Hopper?
HBO Go is available thru Roku, GoogleTV, PC, etc. You choose Dish as your provider, and use your Dish login.

But, the HBO On Demand available thru the Hopper and VIP's is not HBO Go, even though it does have a huge, almost HBO Go-like selection of programming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)