Blockbuster Total Access price increase (again?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
I was lucky enough to be grandfathered with my plan the last time Blockbuster increased prices and changed plans, but I just got an email that is somewhat ambigous on the in-store exchange portion.

I currently have and have had for quite a while the following plan: (c/p from account page)

BLOCKBUSTER Total Access Premium $7.99 / month (plus taxes)
1 at-a-time, 3/mo.
unlimited in-store movie exchanges
+1 FREE bonus Movie or Game Rental E-Coupon / Month

In the email I got, it states that the price will be going to $9.99 effective next billing period and that all other features of my plan will remain the same. However it is asterisk'd and that corresponds to a comment at the bottom that says

Up to plan limits

I guess I'll see if I lose any of my instore exchange coupons. I know it says I won't but I know last time quite a few people lost in-store exchange totals

Anyone else get a price increase notice?

I just got an e-mail as well, I was paying $14.99 then it just went up I know not more than a few months ago to $17.99 and now $19.99 , I am going to have to drop it .

yeah, I thought some people were just given a price increase and I was curious if those same people were gonna get hit again. That sucks for those that do.

I'm borderline right now. My current plan of $7.99 with 3 mail/ 3 instore and 1 game/video coupon was a nice deal. Even at $9.99 it's still a good deal, but only if I get to keep my current number of rentals and not lose any of my in-store ones. I'll know in a month what they do to me.

I just got off the phone with BB and told them to cancel. When I sing up I was getting the e-coupon and I used it for games , then they raised it to $17.99 and took away my e-coupon and now to raise it agian and not give me something back ( e-coupon ) I had to drop them .
they sent me this in an e-mail

We have received your request to cancel your subscription to blockbuster.com through Customer Care. We are processing your request now.

Because we value you as a customer, we'd like to offer you another chance to enjoy all that blockbuster.com has to offer.

Let us know if one of the following promotional subscription options might be right for you:

-2 at a time for 14.99 maximum 3 in-store exchanges, Unlimited rents
You will receive unlimited DVDs up to 2 at one time, 3 in-store DVD exchanges per month.
This BLOCKBUSTER Total Access plan give you the flexibility to return your online DVD by mail or return them in-store for a free* in-store movie rental, up to plan limits.
-2 at a time for 14.99 maximum 3 in-store exchanges, Unlimited rents

I was on the old plan $17.99 for 3 out and unlimited exchanges in store and one game/movie coupon. Now they are raising it to 19.99 for the same. I think its still a good deal cause I NEVER send them by mail. I always exchange in store for a movie or game (1/2 off the price) and as soon as they scan the movie in, your next movie in your list gets shipped. Usually when the store receives the movie it takes about 2-3 days for the next ones to come. But I am never without a movie or game. I put my netflix on hold to see if I wanted to keep this service and IMO I think its well worth my $19.99 + tax seeing as games are $5.99 for 5 days. I guess if you don't care about the games its not worth it though.

5.99? games are 7.99 here... thats why i am keeping my 17.99 2 game rental plan...but if i go over $20 on an increase..i am gone... i watch maybe 2 movies a month right now.. so i am breaking even on the games

Yea, its crazy, ps2 games are 6.99, but ps3 games are 5.99. Go figure.
My blockbuster is a franchisee though, so no blu yet...

Sounds like Block Buster is pricing themselves right out of business. When you consider that you have to send the dvds in the mail back and forth , it isn't worth the price to me. THe time alone is to long between dvds and I don't want to go to the store itself . THe future everything will go straight to your house via internet or satellite/cable; IPTV. THere won't be any need for dvds or movie stores.

Redbox people..... If you have it in your area, give it a try. If you don't like it, you're out NOTHING. They really only deal with new releases and hang onto those for a while (they can only hold so many DVDs in their units) but for us, that's primarily all we're interested in.

I've had both Netflix and Blockbuster and got frustrated with them.

If you want a real bargain (only if you are a frequent viewer of movies) look into Movie Pass at your local BB store. This is what I have and I would be saving money even at $50 a month! Local store has for $26.95 plus tax, 2 out at a time, exempt from late fees, and HD DVD and Blu Ray are included same as SD DVD. The cost varies from store to store. My older store that closed was $24.95 a month but they did not have High Def media. This one charges another $2 a month and is a great deal. If you keep a movie out more than 30 days they will bill your CC for the cost. If you don't mind going to the store, it is a much better deal than the online service as I have had that too and it sucked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellos from Australia

Chipmunks on a caffeine rush.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts