Blocky picture and dropped audio on HD DVR in Phoenix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

What is your experience with Cox's HD DVR signal quality?

• It's really good - no blockiness or audio drop-outs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have problems sometimes, but it's tolerable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have problems very often, I need to find a solution

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

JamesAbel

Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
HI!
I've been struggling with the poor quality of the Cox HD picture and audio for a couple of years now. The picture gets blocky, and often the audio drops out for a few seconds (or more). It tends to happen once every 15-30 minutes (although sometimes it's OK for a few hours).
I have the Scientific Atlanta HD DVR box, model Explorer 8240HD, which I rent from Cox. It's installed in a place with reasonable air flow (doesn 't seem to overheat). I've had the box replaced 3 times, and technicians have come out 4 times. In their last visit the installed an amplifier, which helped for a while but now the problem is back.

Only the HD channels have problems. It doesn't seem to be any particular HD channel. The standard definition channels are fine, and I've resorted to recording both SD and HD in case the HD is unwatchable.

So, there are 3 possibilities:
1) Something wrong with my wiring or the signal strength (I have new RG6, but it's rather long - probably 150+ feet.). But the signal strength seems OK, between +2 and +7 dbmV according to the cable box, depending on the channel.
2) The Scientific Atlanta box is just a poor design and it's prone to these issues on HD. I've been thinking of getting a TIVO HD DVR, if this is indeed the case. But I wanted to make sure it was going to fix the problem before I spent the money.
3) The program material coming from Cox is bad on the HD channels, even before it gets to my house.

Has anyone on this forum experienced this (or know of anyone)? Any solutions or guesses on which of the issues it could be?

I've added a little poll above to help. :)

Thanks!
James

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)