Blown Modem - Worth the Pain of a Service Call?

GabeNet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 5, 2004
The modem in my STB appears to be fried.

The new release of the 2.30 software renewed my interest in trying to get the CallerID to work. It had not worked in the past and I had not really ever pursued it but it seems that the modem has not been working since sometime in June when we had lightning strike a tree in our yard.

I have replaced the fuse in the STB once when I managed to short out the powerbar that all of my HT equipment was plugged into. It blew the fuses in my receiver and the STB and I did not want to go through the trouble of a service call so I opened it up and replaced it myself.

Looking at the board in the area of the modem shows that the components are discolored and look like they have been blown.

So basically what I am wondering is if I am going to get screwed some how because the STB can not report back (even though everything that I have read here says that they are not enforcing it) and if I do replace it is Voom going to have a cow that I fixed the fuse myself (I'm renting at the moment).

There have been no side effects from the fuse replacement or the blown modem besides the lack of CallerID.

Any thoughts?

Why do you think the modem is not working? Is it just because the CallerId is not working? Or have you done some modem diagnostics?
(Sorry if I missed your earlier posts on this.)

Both; the CID does not work and the Modem Setup and Test (the 988 menu from the installer menu) fails.

I have tried different phone cables and I know that the jack that it is connected to works.

Sure, VOOM will not like this - it's their property. But I think they might just replace it for you. After all, your long-term loyalty should be more important for them, than a modem. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

I am sorry if this is reported somewhere else, but how do I check the modem status by using the installer guide or whatever that was mentioned above.. Can someone forward me those steps?

VOOM Button---Green button ----Green button -- Installation Wizar --- press 988 ----modem test.

Mine does not work either but I do not have CID.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts