Bollywood "HELLO" a new movie

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Dorchester, TX.
Bollywood "HELLO" a new movie about call centers

According to "The Dallas Morning News" today, Bollywood has released a new movie about call centers. The most astounding statement was,"A 35-year-old American's brain and IQ is the same as a 10-year-old Indian's,".

DISH get rid of the Indian call center.

Last edited:
I'm sure that movie will be a best seller. In India.

We pander to our audiences, why shouldn't they to theirs?

My wife runs a call center for her company in India. I go over there with her every once in a while and have spent a few days in the call center.

You would be amazed at how nice and giving the people of India are. It is quickly becoming Westernized which is causing a huge problem with the elders. I keep in touch with many of them by email or phone calls. All the workers that I talked to were very concerened that they were taking American jobs (which they are).

It was very difficult to find applicants that didn't have college degrees and a very high percentage of them had post graduate degrees. After evaluating the people we came to the conclusion that a college degree for them is nearly the same as a high school diploma here. Graduate degrees were about the same as a college degree here. Of course that wouldn't hold true for everyone there but it really seemed to come across as the way it was for the majority of the people. They have the drive to learn and in general can be very intelligent....Just like anyone anywhere else in the world

BTW, I didn't write this to insult anyone rather it was just a personal observation not based on any fact

No question many of the people in India are smart. That isn't the problem. The issues are.
-Language skills. Many do not speak English well.
-Lack of training. All they are told to do is read their scripts. As Dish isn't in India, most have probably never seen a receiver.
-Having to take all their calls in the middle of the night. That can't be good for anyone
-Being 6,000 miles from the people that are hiring them kind of makes the focus on providing quality service away. Why do a good job when paid the same for a bad job?

I bet this movie will depict Americans as idiots who have to be told they need to plug in their appliances to get them to work, with no mention of Indian CSRs giving blatantly wrong info out because they don't know any better or don't care.

As I became friends with some of them I asked them to tell me the truth, What do you think of Americans? Most answered arrogant. One problem with them thinking that Americans are stupid is because of who is calling. I don't know about you but I never call for help until I have expired all possible avenues including searching the net. Some people call because they can't find their CD or DVD drive but are very happy with the coffee mug holder that came with the computer.

When my wife hires she can care a less about their education. Her first priority it how clearly they speak English. Remember that they were under British rule of and on for centuries until 1947. They learn British English and American can be quite confusing.

working the night shift was never a problem for anyone I asked.

No question many of the people in India are smart. That isn't the problem. The issues are.
-Language skills. Many do not speak English well.
-Lack of training. All they are told to do is read their scripts. As Dish isn't in India, most have probably never seen a receiver.
-Having to take all their calls in the middle of the night. That can't be good for anyone
-Being 6,000 miles from the people that are hiring them kind of makes the focus on providing quality service away. Why do a good job when paid the same for a bad job?

-snip-

I'm not interested in diversity or multiculturalism. All I want are the most competent people answering calls. At the risk of being too general I was hoping that the intelligence of Indians would make them better CSRs but, unfortunately, your points are well taken. Good idea, perhaps, but it just doesn't work out.

BTW, I just finished watching "Outsourced", which is also about Indian call centers. I had my issues with the film but it was very interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)