Boosting a Signal to output to 5 TV's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MagnumVP

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
CA
I'm using Dish Network's Home Distribution (See Image) on my ViP722. However after splitting it for 5 TV's the signal is really weak. Is there a Satellite Signal Booster that I can use.

I looked at the PCT amplifiers but I believe those are just for CATV not Satellite.

FileStream.jpg

Each splitter cuts the signal level in half. Exactly how are the splitters wired for the five TVs? I fed eight TVs off mine and the signal was acceptable.

tv.jpg

As you can tell by the time the signal gets to some TV it's really diminished.

What I would like to do is add a powered signal booster to the line.

tv1.jpg

In an ideal situation I could find a power splitters

tv2.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding your top drawing, if that middle splitter is a 3-way, your middle TV gets a 50% signal, the adjacent TVs get a 12% signal and the two outer TVs get a 6% signal. You want to split the 722 signal two ways and feed two more splitters and feed TVs from those splitters. Those four will then get a 25% signal each and may be OK. You can then try splitting one of the TVs to feed a fifth or then use the 3-way. If you are using a 3-way splitter, one tap is 50% and two others are 25% signal level. Those last two splitters cut the already weak the signal in half and are not needed.

Last edited:
The 3way doesn't do 33/33/33? I don't know, I just thought. Doesn't a 4 way use 25/25/25/25? However, do they ever make power boosters for satellite signals? I see TONS for cable (CATV).

So essentially any CATV signal booster would work? Or just OTA Booster?

Last edited:
That would work. Keep in mind it seems there may be an underlying problem & an amp may not help. Too many splitters, bad connectors and so forth. The only way an amp would be of any benefit is if you had all home runs back to the amp location. If you try to ampilfy a distorted signal to begin with, you still end up with the same result, noise.

Thanks for the info. The run from the receiver to the initial split (where the booster will be) is about 20 feet. From the booster to the 5 TV's range from 50' to 100'.

I used to have 7 TVs and at least feed off of 2 dish boxes. I had a powered 4 way splitter and one of the feeds from that one fed another 4 way splitter. Essentially a splitter in the attic for the 2nd floor and one in the basement for the first floor.

Just be aware that you can over amplify too. In my set up I had 2 feeds coming in at about 75 feet to the first splitter. All the rooms off of this one were within 50 feet. Then one output went 75 feet to the second splitter and all runs were less than 50 feet. All in all it was quite a distance of cable but it worked fine.

I'm aware this is an older thread but wanted to write and confirm that the Extreme..... did the job perfectly to all TV's

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)