Boston Locals On

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
BFG said:
Agh don't have it set at 480i, that defeats the whole purpose of getting HD.

You should be able to set it to 1080i and on the 211 4:3 #2 then the HD channels will be letterboxed and the 4:3 full

Setting the receiver to 1080i and 4:3#2 gives me letterboxed HD but the SD only fills the screen horizontally. Black bars on top and bottom like it is trying to letterbox the SD.

Setting to 1080i and 4:3#1 gives me letterboxed HD but the SD is postage stamped, black on all four sides.

I could keep the settings at 1080i 4:3#1 and use the Sony HDTV Zoom to have the SD fill the screen, but then the EPG is zoomed out past the borders. :mad:

Well I've read for 4x3 TVs the setting to use is 4x3 #2. Do you have the TV setting normal when doing that? sounds like you should try it again and check your TV settings, you should be able to get your tv to stay 4x3 and the dish receiver will letterbox HD to 16x9 and leave the 4x3 normal. (of course local SD on the digital will still be window boxed because that signal comes in as 4x3, which sounds like your problem)

BFG said:
Well I've read for 4x3 TVs the setting to use is 4x3 #2. Do you have the TV setting normal when doing that? sounds like you should try it again and check your TV settings, you should be able to get your tv to stay 4x3 and the dish receiver will letterbox HD to 16x9 and leave the 4x3 normal. (of course local SD on the digital will still be window boxed because that signal comes in as 4x3, which sounds like your problem)

I understand but I have tried every combination several times.

This particular model has no '4:3' setting. It has 'Auto' and '16:9 Enhanced'. 'Auto' senses a 4:3 picture or 16:9 picture and adjusts accordingly. '16:9 Enhanced' forces letterboxing not allowing a 4:3 picture to fill the screen. I have it set for 'Auto'.

The 'Auto' setting fills the 4:3 screen for ALL the Dish SD channels and ALL my SD local OTA channels. For HD the screen automatically adjusts to 16:9 letterbox when tuning to ALL local OTA HD and ALL Dish HD channels (including all 4 NYC HD locals when I received them) but only 2 of the 4 new Boston HD locals (NBC & CBS). The ABC and Fox Boston HD local channels don't behave.

My question is 'What is different about these two channels?'

John

deathmetal said:
abc and fox are 720p,that might have something to do with it.

I am sure that has something to do with it , but I get an OTA ABC HD channel from a neighboring state with no problem.
When the NYC HD locals first became available they were available to everyone for a day. The NYC HD ABC and Fox channels worked fine.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts