Boston Locals On

leegart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
They seem to have showed up today in HD! 6318-6321.:)

Last edited:
congrats. Keep watching and see if the picture freezes suddenly. Let's see if they got real MPEG4 figured out :)

Sitting behind a Vip211 BIG 4 looking good no pixelation or breakups ..... FP with 100" Screen.

can you compare dish cbs and nbc to ota nbc and cbs? because i've heard they down convert the 1080i to 720p

Yeehaa! I was hoping the Boston locals would be live by the time my 622 gets installed on 3/4! Thanks for the update!

You listed 6318-6321. That's broadcast channels 4, 5, 7 and one more I assume?
What's the 4th one (or is there one unused)

jdr01930 said:
Yeehaa! I was hoping the Boston locals would be live by the time my 622 gets installed on 3/4! Thanks for the update!

WBZ 4 CBS
WCVB 5 ABC
WHDH 7 NBC
WFXT 25 Fox

Spoke to soon .... FOX has lip sinc issues ......

Seems when all the 4 channels during prime time are running HD the picture is bit starved on all BOSTON MPEG4 channels with major pixelation.

I don't have OTA, but changing channels are quick and responsive.

BFG said:
can you compare dish cbs and nbc to ota nbc and cbs? because i've heard they down convert the 1080i to 720p

The Dish CBS and NBC are as good as the OTA CBS and NBC stations I receive from Portland ME. I can't tell if I am viewing them in 1080i or not, but they look darn good. Is there a way to tell what the resolution actually is?

The Boston ABC and Fox are a different story. If I don't force my 4:3 Sony HDTV into 720p mode both ABC and Fox are stretched vertically. CBS and NBC do not do this, they are automatically letterboxed into 16:9. The OTA ABC station that I receive from Portland is not stretched either, perfect letterbox. I can't receive an OTA Fox station to compare that network. A few weeks ago when some of us in the east received the NYC HD locals for a day, I had no problem with the NYC ABC or Fox. I don't know what is up with the Boston ABC and Fox.

John

jdr01930 said:

Fox 25.

BFG said:
what is the output setting of your receiver?

The set type is 4:3 #1 (Sony 4:3 HDTV) and the resolution is set for 480i. This gives a full screen SD and when I switch to an HD channel the set automatically switches to letterbox mode. All HD channels do this except for Boston HD local ABC and Fox.

If I change the receiver resolution to 720p or 1080i, all the HD channels are letterboxed correctly INCLUDING the Boston ABC and Fox. However the SD channels are postage stamped. I can use the Sony's screen Zoom button to bring the SD's up full screen but the set doesn't keep the zoom when changing channels. It is a pain to have this setting even though all the HD content works well.

So my first settings are a compromrise that up til now worked well. Believe me I have tried all different combinations of resolution, set type, receiver stretch and zoom and Sony screen zoom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Why bother? What a waste of bandwidth

In Boston, I live in Natick, I use rabbit ears and get 19 OTA digital channels
all the nets, incl WB, PBS 2.1 and 2 and 44.1 thru 4 integrated into my dish 211.

I don't see all the hype about yet another place to get a few of the locals.

It is going to get very complicated to get 4 channels here, 5 there, etc. Even comcast in boston gives you all-pbs,cbs,nbc,abc,fox,upn,wb in HD

Why would I want to get them on dish? Dish OTA on my 211 works fine

I do pay for the locals, so the 211 gives EPG data, but thats ok.

I'll tell you why philhu. Because not everyone in the Boston DMA can get them OTA or from cable. I'm in Worcester County -- (an hour and 10 minutes by car to downtown Boston w/o traffic) and have no other source for HD content than satellite. I've been waiting a long time for this.

I get my locals OTA for now. In order to get the signal strong enough, I had to run coax from the basement up the stairs to the second floor and hang my Silver Sensor from an upstairs curtain rod pointing out a window. I can record OTA HD programs on the 942 now but only on one tuner. Can't record two HD network programs at the same time.

Can't wait for locals in HD over satellite and the new 622.

philhu said:
Ok.

I guess people want them, but you are only getting 4 networks

Comcast gives you all 7!

Many can not get Cable or OTA ..... Thanks for the late Breaking news Philhu :rolleyes:

GregN said:
Many can not get Cable or OTA ..... Thanks for the late Breaking news Philhu :rolleyes:

Sorry. Guess I am spoiled.

I have Comcast/hd/dvr platinum
DishHD Basic, locals
DTV total choice/no hd
OTA - big ass antenna, connected to my 63" tv, and my dish 211 and
my Sony HD DVR 500gig
Expressvu/9200 hd-dvr, all pkgs

Sorry :) Well, no I'm not :) :devil:

jscud said:
The set type is 4:3 #1 (Sony 4:3 HDTV) and the resolution is set for 480i. This gives a full screen SD and when I switch to an HD channel the set automatically switches to letterbox mode. All HD channels do this except for Boston HD local ABC and Fox.

If I change the receiver resolution to 720p or 1080i, all the HD channels are letterboxed correctly INCLUDING the Boston ABC and Fox. However the SD channels are postage stamped. I can use the Sony's screen Zoom button to bring the SD's up full screen but the set doesn't keep the zoom when changing channels. It is a pain to have this setting even though all the HD content works well.

So my first settings are a compromrise that up til now worked well. Believe me I have tried all different combinations of resolution, set type, receiver stretch and zoom and Sony screen zoom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Agh don't have it set at 480i, that defeats the whole purpose of getting HD.

You should be able to set it to 1080i and on the 211 4:3 #2 then the HD channels will be letterboxed and the 4:3 full

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)