Both Cable and Satellite In One Line?

DJShortyG

Original poster
May 4, 2009
North of Boston
I apologize if this is supposed to be posted elsewhere I am new at this and not exactly sure where it needed to go.

I have a situation that is bugging me a little and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am moving to a new apartment that is a part of a single family home and they have Cable in the house for both TV and Internet. I however have Satellite and am not really willing to give it up just yet.

The question is: Is there a way for me to run both the Cable and Satellite through the same lines in the house or is this something that I am going to have to run a seperate line to my part of the house?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

You need to be independent of any digital cable system.

For future reference, you should post questions like these in the forum that represents the satellite provider you're currently with. The two providers use their cable in decidedly different ways.

I believe the short answer is yes, it should be possible using diplexers (certainly with analog only cable service). Whether or not you'd have easy access to the wiring is a whole other can of worms. Probably best just to put a dish nearest your end/entry point and have it's own separate line. Many people do not like using flat cables at doors or windows but I use them and have never had any problems.

Thank you for your replies

Julesism and Harshness thank you for your replies. It is the absolute basic cable they are running in their home right now so I will try with diplexers and if that doesn't work I will find a way to mount the dish near my end.

Here is an interesting follow up question though if I could determine which line was mine in the junction box could i just run it down through there and directly connect it to my line? If that is the case I will most likely do that I am not sure my landlord would appreciate a dish mounted on his front porch otherwise.

Thank you again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)