Both games of double header not being shown?

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Yesterday's game was rained out. The Rangers and Tigers are to play a double header today, the first game started at 12:00 PM CDT. I found that game. However, the second game which starts at 6:00 PM CDT is not found anywhere on the program guide or Dish Find My Game.

Am I not going to get to see both games? Help me out please.

olfenite said:
Yesterday's game was rained out. The Rangers and Tigers are to play a double header today, the first game started at 12:00 PM CDT. I found that game. However, the second game which starts at 6:00 PM CDT is not found anywhere on the program guide or Dish Find My Game.

Am I not going to get to see both games? Help me out please.

If it is broadcast on your RSN you should get it. The guide may not have been updated. This does happen when there are schedule changes.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

It is not on an RSN though. Yesterdays game was broadcasted by TXA21, which usually Dish picks up and puts it on one of the sports alternate channels. It is still going to be TXA21 and should be on an alternate channel today.

It was rainout, the guide doesn't reflect that...... Game finder might not even reflect it. Be sure to also check an alternate channel if it's not on the normal one.
I will caution - If the game starts at 6PM local time it may fall into the blackout time for FOX and your RSN may not be allowed to show it. I am aware of one exemption given, that was to the Red Sox to broadcast on NESN during the blackout time.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that when a game is rescheduled to a Saturday they get an exemption. I could be wrong though.

I checked the alternate channels but the game is not being shown in the guide. It could be the game was not included in the updated guide.

Is the DISH Game Finder Web Tool | My DISH Support site accurate even through rain outs though? It does not show the second game.

A few of other things to note. When Ranger games are on an alternate channel they are always on channel 443 or 448. The Ranger game that is on right now is being shown on the regular RSN, channel 416, and an alternate, channel 448. There is an Astros game on channel 448 at the same time as the second Rangers game. This means that the second Rangers game should be on channel 443 if shown.

Last edited:
The Red Sox game WAS a rainout, it took an exemption. Further, Fox does not allow two games from the same team during the blackout period, they will only allow one exemption, and the exemption is usually for heat like Texas where games are routinely started later and would often be in the blackout period.

Last edited:
Sure enough, Dish is not showing it. I checked every one of the alternate channels. I don't buy that Fox is not allowing it because the Astros game is on which had the same start time as the second Rangers game. Several other games are on the other alternate channels too, but they're blacked out as usual since they're not in my region.

Really bummed out right now.

And apparently, Directv is doing the same. They're showing the Astros game instead.

Still, I looked up the rules for Fox concerning blackouts. It should not had applied as the game started at 6:05 CDT.

Last edited:
Sure enough, Dish is not showing it. I checked every one of the alternate channels. I don't buy that Fox is not allowing it because the Astros game is on which had the same start time as the second Rangers game. Several other games are on the other alternate channels too, but they're blacked out as usual since they're not in my region.

Really bummed out right now.

And apparently, Directv is doing the same. They're showing the Astros game instead.

Still, I looked up the rules for Fox concerning blackouts. It should not had applied as the game started at 6:05 CDT.

Are you saying your RSN carried the second game and even Direct isn't carrying it? That makes me think your RSN isn't even carrying it.

Did you read what I said about the rules for teams that routinely start late? Astro's may for same reason Rangers do....

Last edited:
In Texas I don't see the game on an RSN, I do on a CBS channel. Fox Detroit is carrying it, and it is in the clear if you have the sports package. olfenite are you sure it's even being carried by your RSN?? Did you check you network channels?

Are you saying your RSN carried the second game and even Direct isn't carrying it?

Did you read what I said about the rules for teams that routinely start late? Astro's may for same reason Rangers do....

Astros have a retractable roof on their stadium. They chose to start at 6:05 so they could be out of range of the Fox blackout, not because of the heat.

The RSN was not carrying the rained out game. Friday games for the Rangers are carried on TXA21, and Dish puts the game on the alternate channel. Likewise, the rescheduled game is still on TXA21 even though it is on a Saturday. Fox Sports Southwest is carrying the Bulls/Mavs game. All other channels are either off-air or showing a game that is out of the region or the Astros game.

From what I've read, and the site could had been wrong, but it said that if the Fox game started at 3:05, other games that started between 12:10 and 6:05 could not be broadcasted on different channels. The first game started at 12:05 and the second game started at 6:05. Fox Sports Southwest shown the game that started at 12:05. Oddly enough, an alternate channel was also showing the game and that never happens.

I could not find anything regarding Fox blackout restricting a team to having one game on Saturdays. Regardless, both games were outside of the blackout period.

My best guess on what happened is that Dish assumed that the first game was the game that was not going to be on the Fox Sports Southwest and they placed it on an alternate channel. In reality they needed to put the late game on an alternate channel as it was on TXA21 and just let Fox Sports Southwest broadcast it as they would had normally.

Just going by the Fox site itself, it indicates it's on the CBS KTXA..... So how could Dish carry it other than that channel? Is there another channel it's on not listed at the Fox SW site? Dish is carrying it on FOXD RSN.....

Just going by the Fox site itself, it indicates it's on the CBS KTXA..... So how could Dish carry it other than that channel? Is there another channel it's on not listed at the Fox SW site? Dish is carrying it on FOXD RSN.....

KTXA is TXA21. Dish always picks it up and plays it on an alternate channel for those living outside of the DFW metroplex but in the Rangers viewing area.

TXA21 has a deal with the Rangers to broadcast games on Friday. Since it was rained out, they get to show the rescheduled Friday game, which is right now. The game was never scheduled to be on the RSN, Fox Sports Southwest, rained out or not.

Last edited:
So you don't know that Dish could even show that game on Saturday. I would not assume that at all might only be a Friday deal. If Direct TV isn't showing it that tells me they probably couldn't. Since Dish is carrying it right now on FOXD, I'm thinking Dish and Direct would have if they could in your area.

So you don't know that Dish could even show that game on Saturday. I would not assume that at all might only be a Friday deal. If Direct TV isn't showing it that tells me they probably couldn't. Since Dish is carrying it right now on FOXD, I'm thinking Dish and Direct would have if they could in your area.
What do you mean not a Friday only deal?

I should also add that I don't know for fact that Directv is not showing it. Their guide may not reflect it as the Rangers twitter account said to check your channels for the game regardless of what the guide says. Secondly, I do not know that Directv shows the games on TXA21 on an alternate channel like Dish does.

Past blackout discussions have indicated that the Rangers have a permanent exemption to the blackout rule since the majority of their home games are scheduled at night due to the Texas heat and not having a covered ball park.
Having spent 4 years at Ft Hood I can attest to the heat. The only place I have been that was hotter was iraq (desert storm).
Tampa8 is correct that NESN was given an exemption last season so that both games of a double header could be broadcast.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

One other thing to note, the game is in Detroit and not Texas. Still, it does not matter since both games start times fell outside the blackout restriction time.

My guess is its a combination of the rainout and someone at dish probably wasn't updated that they needed to put the feed up and they may have been out of RSN Alt slots. It looks like in my guide they are filled up tonight.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

My guess is its a combination of the rainout and someone at dish probably wasn't updated that they needed to put the feed up and they may have been out of RSN Alt slots. It looks like in my guide they are filled up tonight.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive

That would make sense. I just went through all the channels again and you're right, all the alternate channels are either showing a game right now or were playing something.

Still, it sucks that I missed the game. The Rangers are down 2-3 in the 9th, but have two on base with one out. I'm missing a very good game.

The game WAS on......in glorious SD. At least the Tigers won. Sure got whooped in the 1st game!

Ed

BTW, The guide was never updated but it was on channel 430 (Fox Detroit) as usual but only in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)