This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Bottom Scroll and infobars slant left

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
Has anyone acquired this symptom suddenly...

4:3 TV. The Bottom Scroll and infobars slant very slightly downward to the left. On some channels, the very bottom of the scrolling text is cut off just a bit on the left side of the screen, while at the right side there is a bit of space below the letters.

If you hit the info button, there is a definite larger gap from the bottom of the bar on the right compared to a smaller gap to the bottom of the screen on the left.

It is also very observable when a 16:9 scene is presented with top and bottom black bars to create the 16-9 format on the 4:3 screen

Last edited:
To check to see if its the box, disconnect the box and plug the cable directly into the TV.

If it looks good, your box took a dump. If you still notice this while on standard cable (no box) then your convergence in your tv is either starting to go bad or has gone bad and needs repair.

Some tv's have auto convergence re-adjustments. If its an Hitachi, you can have the tv re-adjust the convergence automatically. I think a few other brands do this as well.

There appears to be no distortion or "slant" in the picture...only on the overlay information. I would think convergence would affect everything.

Ack. I have a ton of stuff on it I haven't burned to DVD yet.

Is this a known "failure" that has been seen before?

I think I said something wrong before. A scene came on (actually a "table" on a news show) that had lots of horizontal lines in it. I looks like the top lines were parallel to the top of the screen, but the bottom line slanted downward left. Is that the definition of improper convergence?

Also when I did a reboot, the mystro screen has a box, and the top looked ok but bottom line of the box slanted.

LATER: Doing some reading on the web about convergence, it sounds like it has a lot to do with color. I don't have any color problems.

I used to do tv repair. Convergence, although it does have a direct relation with the colors, can go bad and you still have a perfectly colored picture. My own personal tv is proof of that.

When something is in letter box mode, I can see a very distinct wavy line at the bottom. I know it's not my box, it is the tv.

This is why I asked you to disconnect the box and hook it up to the cable directly by-passing the box. Channel 10 without the box (I think) should have the scrolling tv guide. Since this has many different little boxes inside the screen, this could give you an idea if it is the box or not.

And in case your wondering why I haven't fixed my own tv? Quite simple, I repair tv's that have died. I am unable to properly align convergence. That takes hours and an overlay set that is just not worth a one time purchase.

Thanks Khandurian.

I DVR 24 from WOFL (3); just looked at it. The slant is still there. Interestingly, mine is not letterboxed! ??? And since it is a 4:3 TV, I don't have a zoom or stretch function on it.

Is it still there with the box or without? If its there without the box, check the manual for your tv. Alot of the newer tvs come with auto convergence correction feature.

Sorry, I haven't tried it without the box yet...the equipment is in a very heavy entertainment center cabinet (wife's! lovely furniture piece) and it is hard to reach the back connectors. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

It is still quite watchable and on normal shows with no scroll you don't notice anything wrong.

Well, just let me know. Mines watchable as well and i've learned to live with my tv set.

I will tell you though, after you test without the box, and the slant is still there. First check either your manual or google your model to see if it has an auto-convergence feature.

If it does, most definitely use it! If not, you'll need a convergence expert come out and fix it. I will warn you though, that is very expensive and time consuming.

A new data point. Last night, I was over at my son's house and noticed he has exactly the same phenomenon--slanted left bottom of image. It is visually exactly the same (amount of slant). He lives 20 miles from me. in Viera.

So, the problem is NOT in either my STB DVR nor my TV. Well, at least it would be a phenomenal coincidence if we both had the same equipment problem at the same time.

There is this...we both have 27 inch, 4:3, non-HDTV, CRT TVs--different brands. I have an 8300HD DVR. He has a regular STB (not DVR).

????

Of course. ??? I don't understand the comment. My point was that since the problem happens on both his system and mine, it has to be due to a common element. I was simply pointing out that Mystro is common to both--as is the transmitted signal, although that may go through different electronics on the way from head end to the two houses.

I have an 8300HD DVR. He has a regular STB

why do you pay the extra 3 bucks for an hd dvr? the bigger harddrive?
nevermind, to find out if it s your tv, just move the box to another tv set and hook it up. if it s still there, it s the feed. if not, it s your tv set.

We didnt always have Mystro as the software on the digital boxes, or any of the boxes for that matter. God, I remember when they switched software. What a nightmare that was.

I guess I should have asked, did you compare several channels? All channels? Is it doing this on all channels? If it is, it could possibly be the software. However, I would tend more to lean twards the actual transmission of the signal.

Anyone else noticing this "slanting" in brevard speak up please! Chris Berry, are you in Melbourne Division? If so, I haven't seen you around in awhile.

It is on all channels, but you will not notice it unless there is some kind of straight horizontal image near or at the bottom of the screen--like a scroll bar or the info/channel pop ups. Also, I personally have only noticed it on 4:3 TVs, but then, I don't get to see HDTVs except in stores usually.