Bought a Samsung 23" 1080p HDTV for $249

Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Last day on a sale at Staples today, needed a new bedroom set after my Olevia started to have issues(will never buy a bottom tier again). Anyway, with a lot of Samsungs I have seen, the PQ isn't very snappy OOTB(on the other hand, I will credit 2nd and bottom tier brands for having the PQ look GREAT OOTB). Now I need to do something about this picture. I have done some editing, but I think I'm going to need a way to calibrate. What is the cheapest way available? I have a PS3 and 360 hooked up to it, so I can put still images on every input if that is the easiest way. I would need images provided however. I am asking here instead of AVS because I would get eaten alive like a noob there for asking what is probably an obvious answer.

Monster HDTV Calibration

You could try one of the monster hd calibration videos Im not a expert but i think that's the cheapest option. amazon has those. I know what you mean about the Picture quality someone i know got a Sony HD television recently and my Olevia clearly looked better than it, I am worried about a early failure rate I'm curious what did yours start doing?

You could try one of the monster hd calibration videos Im not a expert but i think that's the cheapest option. amazon has those. I know what you mean about the Picture quality someone i know got a Sony HD television recently and my Olevia clearly looked better than it, I am worried about a early failure rate I'm curious what did yours start doing?
To get the set to look better, I know it has to be edited. My Olevia started not powering on after about a year and a half. I would have to push the power button maybe 50 times to get it on. sometimes the splash screen would come up and hang, and i'd have to unplug it and plug it back in and start pushing the button again.

If its just images you need google is full of them these might help here. You can google "1920x1080 test pattern" in the images and get lots of results.

Since you have a PS3, you could get the DVE Blu-ray calibration disc. Or to just get the basics in, any THX certified disc has basic test patterns.

S~

Since you have a PS3, you could get the DVE Blu-ray calibration disc. Or to just get the basics in, any THX certified disc has basic test patterns.

S~
Is there a master list of THX Certified discs? I guess I'll google that

So I tried the disc, and nothing really changed. The only thing I'm unsure of is contrast ratio. Do I put it as high as I can until I can see some difference, or do I make it a huge difference in color?

I got this same set, but I haven't picked it up yet (out of town). I hope this isn't going to be a problem!

I got this same set, but I haven't picked it up yet (out of town). I hope this isn't going to be a problem!
You just need to turn the sharpness off and a little bit of contrast settings. Viewing angles are horrid, but that isn't a big deal for me. If you need an angle, I'd get a mount that lets you move it.

I set up the set before giving it to my sister tonight and it seems to be a reasonable HDTV. I shut off the Digital Noise Reduction and that seemed to clear up a lot of the screen jitter on some channels. I twiddled around with the picture settings and I think it will do quite nicely. Especially since I walked through Best Buy tonight and saw a 19" Samsung 720p set for $449! :eek: Plus, I had a $25 off coupon.

I didn't notice too much trouble with the side-to-side viewing, but then I really wasn't worried as the expected location is a bedroom and the majority of vieing will be from the bed.

I set up the set before giving it to my sister tonight and it seems to be a reasonable HDTV. I shut off the Digital Noise Reduction and that seemed to clear up a lot of the screen jitter on some channels. I twiddled around with the picture settings and I think it will do quite nicely. Especially since I walked through Best Buy tonight and saw a 19" Samsung 720p set for $449! :eek: Plus, I had a $25 off coupon.

I didn't notice too much trouble with the side-to-side viewing, but then I really wasn't worried as the expected location is a bedroom and the majority of vieing will be from the bed.
Can you give me the settings you used?

I think I'm going to take this back to Staples and keep searching for a TV. I have problems on dark scenes; everything is pixelated. Whether it is Dish or Blu Ray.

I've moved on to a 26" Vizio now. I am liking it more than the Samsung; from better PQ to better viewing angles.

Last day on a sale at Staples today, needed a new bedroom set after my Olevia started to have issues(will never buy a bottom tier again). Anyway, with a lot of Samsungs I have seen, the PQ isn't very snappy OOTB(on the other hand, I will credit 2nd and bottom tier brands for having the PQ look GREAT OOTB). Now I need to do something about this picture. I have done some editing, but I think I'm going to need a way to calibrate. What is the cheapest way available? I have a PS3 and 360 hooked up to it, so I can put still images on every input if that is the easiest way. I would need images provided however. I am asking here instead of AVS because I would get eaten alive like a noob there for asking what is probably an obvious answer.

What is the model number of your TV?:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts