Bought the Nexus One and like it...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Last Tuesday Google started selling the N1 to Canadians (working with Rogers SIMs) and I ordered one within the first hour. With delivery, taxes and exchange rate (very favorable!) it's about CAN$600.

I bought it as a PDA/VoIP device. Don't really need a cell.
The first and last time I had one (for 6 months) was when my daughter started driving, i.e. some 15+ years ago.

Therefore, I can't compare it to anything! But I like it very much so far...
-packaging very Apple-esque. Attention to details.
-Accurate GPS. Better than the ones on Dell netbooks.
-Very nice screen and good fonts. Was on internet in 5 min after charging.
-Voice search: worked the first time (it must be trained on accents...:))
-VoIP works (Sipdroid with Betamax). Took time to set up, but it's OK.
-Must get used to the on-screen keyboard but I prefer it to a slider.
-Gmail and calendar sync works very good.

Reading for the second day the xda forums re: flashing custom ROMs - all this a bit too new for me...

Hope to get (for work) an HD2 with WinMo 6.5, more familiar territory. And a Dell Mini5 if/when released...

Diogen.

-Gmail and calendar sync works very good.
Can confirm if Google calendar sync works both ways, i.e. add an event on phone that it shows on "web" side and vis-versa ? Mine isn't pushing from phone to web but does push from web to phone (on leaked Android 2.1). It worked fine on Android 1.5.

Just tried. Works fine.
Have at the moment installed nothing but Sipdroid (tried a dozen or so apps but removed in the end).

Diogen.

Can confirm if Google calendar sync works both ways, i.e. add an event on phone that it shows on "web" side and vis-versa ? Mine isn't pushing from phone to web but does push from web to phone (on leaked Android 2.1). It worked fine on Android 1.5.

Mine is almost instantaneous.

Can confirm if Google calendar sync works both ways...
D'oh, the phone was defaulted to the phone's calendar, not my Google calendar. I switched it and it's updating fine... It remembers to sync to my Google calendar too vs the phone calendar.

Using it for over two months by now and still liking it.
Didn't root it yet (waiting to see what FroYo is about, non-rooted) but bought a data plan from Rogers.
Main reason - GPS. It works nicely 80%+ of the time (WLAN) but on the road it doesn't.
And I was really interested in trying the wardrive app...

Anybody done this before? Laptops, inverters, antennas, customized software...?
Trying to break into a WEP-protected router from two Linux driven laptops (after the FBI report and demonstration)?
Those were interesting times. Now Nexus One does the "wardriving" part while sitting in your pocket.
The only drawback - it drained the battery from 19% to dead in about 20 minutes, has to be plugged in.
Export the recorded file into KLM, open it in Google Earth and you have all 300+ routers with their names, and precise locations on a map.
Took all the fun out of wardriving...:)

Trying new apps can make you tired.
I'm keeping only a handful now. Most valuable Sipdroid, of course. Updated few days ago to support video calls under standard SIP and also PBX integration.
Astro file manager with SMB add-on - very nice. Advance task killer. BBC, NYT and some other news sources. Some network/wireless utilities including remote desktop, some games, Barcode reader, Google sky and few others.

So far I still like it.
Waiting now for when I can get the Streak and see what a simple form factor change can do in terms of usability. And how useful the HDMI output can be...

Diogen.

Gingerbread is promised to be pushed out to Nexus One in the coming weeks.
Nexus S and Nexus One get Android Gingerbread 2.3.3, fixes random reboots and writes NFC tags -- Engadget
I think the first time the "few weeks" term was mentioned by Eric Schmidt in November.

Hopefully this time it is for real...

Nothing really ground breaking from what I read.
The built-in VoIP app (maybe it has dial-plan options?) and WebM support would be interesting to check out.
Android 2.3.3 gives you another reason to want it: WebM support -- Engadget
It is claimed to run faster and generally be a cleanup release...

Diogen.

Also I don't feel like having to flash my rom twice
I don't think you have to.
This is a Google signed image (i.e. no root needed to install) and will be recognized as such, I think...

Haven't done extensive comparison.
Visual differences: the GUI got darker. Every menu used to be grey-on-white, not it's grey-on-black, with some transparency.
Status bar on top also black. Better looking icons. The VoIP calling option is very basic. No dial-plans. Looks very much like CSipSimple.
Would be useful on WiFi-only devices like tablets...

Everything else works. I have no problems with the camera app, GMail or any other Goggle app that create problems for some...

I'd think it is time to have the Google Talk (from GMail; for those outside the US with no Google Voice) including video app in Android.
But haven't heard talk about it...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)