Status
Not open for further replies.

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Texas parents battle school over son's long locks

A 4 year-old is refusing to get a hair cut and parents are backing him up.
boy_long_locks250.jpg

My personal thoughts on the matter:

"rules are rules" is what people say when there is no logical reason for a particular arbitrary rule. If there is a reason for a rule, state it. But "this is the way boys should have their hair because we said so" doesn't cut it. (ough...pun not intended)

If the rule is in place to prevent distraction, then the existence of the rule is in itself the distraction right now. Really some one needs to explain this to me: How is a boy having long hair in this day and age a distraction? This isn't 1963! Long hair on boys is actually the norm rather than the exception. But lets say when this kid comes into the class room all the other kids go "ooooo cool!" How long does that distraction last? A few minutes at best, then it's just the way it is. But if the ADULTS make a big deal out of it then the distraction is due to the existence of the rule, not the hair. Again, if girls are allowed to have long hair, why can't the boys? Any hygiene or safety concerns apply to both sexes equally. So "distraction" is a load of hooey in this instance.

I understand hair length rules due to safety, hygiene. I do not understand any such rules just "because". If girls are allowed to have longer hair, then you can argue sex discrimination too.

If this is were PRIVATE school where the parents CHOSE to send their child, then the parents, not the school, would be the unreasonable ones. But it's a public school where the parents are legally bound to send their child.

The kid has his roll models, dad (as much as some may wish to deamonize him with only a two second look), EVERY kid on TV, probably all older boys he sees all have long hair like that and he wants it that way too. Anyone who thinks a 4 year-old can't have his own opinion never had a 4 year-old, especially a boy! Now I do realize that at this age, you need guidance from your parents and many times you will be overruled. But control over your own hair length is one thing that many parents allow or at least compromise on as long as it is safe and they keep it clean. But this is really irrelevant to the question of the validity of this arbitrary school policy.

What do you all think?

See ya
Tony

He's cute.

I don't think the school should be allowed to punish him for having long hair. If a girl shaved her head, would she get in school suspension for having hair too short for a girl? That ridiculous!

Didn't we have these fights 40 years ago? It's deja vu all over again. The school board should be more concerned with providing a 'gud ed-u-ma-ca-shun' rather than being petty tyrants.

That is absurd! People waste so much time on stuff that doesn't matter. So what if the kid wants to have long hair. Idiot school.

Ludicrous, I tell ya, ludicrous..... I would take this one all the way to the Supreme Court. Someone ought to remind them that a certain guy from the Mideast had long hair back about 2000 years ago....

It sounds like a dumb rule.

On the other hand he's a 4 year old. He's not trying to make a stance for his generation or something like that. It's not like he'll be traumatized over gettting a haircut. I'll get flame replies about this but I think the parents should make him get his haircut. He doesn't have to get a buzzcut, or have his head shaved.

It's a dumb school rule, but it's a rule. He should learn at an early age that there are rules that have to be followed. Let him grow it out in the summer.

I am stumped on that too. I do know that some preschools discourage it because it is harder to get rid of head lice (a problem with the younger set) with long hair but franly his hair is not all that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)