Boy, the studios really want us to buy flicks....

I read somewhere else that the issue between Redbox and the studios was how much they were reselling used/old DVD's for, they felt it was too low and was undercutting their new sales. I don't think Netflix has the same issue with the studios so I would guess we won't see the delay there.

This is unfortunate. They're surely entitled to place restrictions on how discs are used (i.e., cannot be used for commercial rentals); that's indisputable. However, I wonder if they really will spawn more retail disc sales this way. Personally, we'll just wait the 30 days. I guess they know what they're doing, or they know that if it doesn't work out for them, they can just change things back.

I read somewhere else that the issue between Redbox and the studios was how much they were reselling used/old DVD's for, they felt it was too low and was undercutting their new sales.
But then they could just prohibit resale of discs purchased and used for rentals, for (say) six months from original purchase of the rental disc. That would much more effectively and directly accomplish that aim, if that is what they're concerned about.

Before I got a blu-ray player, I waited until movies came out on the premium cable HD channels (often almost a year after theatrical release). 30 days is nothing, nor will it change my disk-buying habits.

I'm sure Netflix will figure out a way to negotiate around this with WB. There's a reason they are the #1 mail-order DVD service.

Yeah, and Red Box can do that, I think. Netflix comes up with discs that are supposed to be BB exclusives, so Im sure they are doing it the same way. With the activity I see at Redbox's, I dont think buying them in retail will hurt them too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)