Brainstorm session: need help with tailgate LOS issues

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
Anyone got any ideas on how I can get a signal when I have tremendous line of sight issues? I just can't think of anything to get around this problem. Our tailgate spot is right up against what seems like 100 foot pines that are at least a hundred yards deep. To hit the appropriate birds (110,119), the dish has to point at the sats at an angle that is perpendicular to the tree line. The trees go too far on either side to stretch the line to the side.

T
R
E <--- x tailgate spot, dish has to point directly at trees
E
S

Last time we were there, we waited until the parking lot was virtually empty and pulled the RG6 straight back from our spot and were able to "shoot" through a gap in the trees. The gap was apparently so small we could only get one bird. This is not a viable solution because we can't do this when the lots are full.

My question is can anyone think of a way to get a signal with these trees in the way? I've even tossed around ideas of getting the signal in one area, then "tossing" it to another dish somehow. I don't even know if that is possible.

I think I'm just SOL

You can try aiming at the Eastern Arc birds instead assuming you have a MPEG4 receiver.

Got any other receivers at home? Just take one of those. Heck I take a 722 out there so I can get HD games.

Any chance you could trade tailgating spots with someone on the other side of the lot?

Not sure where you are tailgating, but can you get connected to a good wireless internet connection? You could get a slingbox at home and just set up a laptop and output the signal to a monitor and speakers.

LOS means over, around, or between. Since you can't go around, and not much space between, the only choice is over. The further you pull the dish back from the trees, they "higher" you shoot over them.

Remember that DBS dishs are 22.5 degree offset dishes. That means that they are getting signal from 22.5 degrees higher than they appear to be looking:

show_image.php

Remember that DBS dishs are 22.5 degree offset dishes. That means that they are getting signal from 22.5 degrees higher than they appear to be looking:

show_image.php

That's a good point that I didn't really think of. However, pulling the dish back away from the trees creates a hazard as the RG6 would be stretched over the parking lot where people walk and drive. We were able to do it last time because we didn't set up until the lot was virtually empty, but our next game will be packed so the lot probably won't empty until Sunday. :)

I'm hoping that the majority of the leaves have fallen off the trees and will create a path through the trees, although I don't think pine trees drop their needles as much as other trees.

Preset the elevation and skew, and all they should have to do is set the azmuth. DBS is more forgiving so if they are on, it shouldnt be too hard to get things setup.

Depends on how many satellites you are trying to hit. When I aim my 1000.2 for tailgates I usually have to make minor angle changes to finally get everything locked in. If the Dish was 10 feet up in the air it would make those changes much more difficult. Not to mention having a pole that was strong enough to stay straight in the wind yet still able to fit in a vehicle...

A pole is not an option. When I mentioned the trees were 100 feet tall, it wasn't much of an exageration. They are at least 40 or 50 feet tall.

How dense are the trees? Perhaps getting closer to them might be an option. You may find a spot right on the ground where you can shoot through to the other side.

If tailgating is something you do frequently, perhaps you could invest in a 211 receiver and aim at the Eastern arc. You can lease one for $25, and if you are a long time customer you may be able to get it for free if you trade in that 311.

You could also try putting your receiver somewhere that it can pick up a signal and use one of these to get the signal to your vehicle:

Leapfrog- Wireless 2.4 GHz A/V Transmitter/Receiver System w/ Remote

At one time I had considered using something like this myself, putting the dish, receiver, and wireless transmitter inside one of those Sterilite boxes. The satellite signal can make it through the plastic just fine, and it is waterproof if you seal it really well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts