Braves games being blacked out again

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DawgDeputy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Grayson, Ga
I thought Dish and Fox settled their dispute but apparently all 3 games on Fox Sports South are being blacked out this weekend here in Atlanta. Anyone know what is going on?

I don't think blackouts have anything to do with DISH/Fox disputes.
There was a rare case involved where fox bought out local station rights but dish contract had X number of games. Truthfully it sounded like sh!tty wording. Should've been any game broadcasted.

Only thing I can think of is a misplaced flag as none are on national tv.

Reactions: DawgDeputy
Nothing can be done about blackouts. Was listening to a sports radio show the other day and they were talking to the commissioner of baseball. He said there isn't anything they can do because of the way the network deals are set up.

What the original poster is referring to is more of a rights/programming dispute than a real blackout, but Dish doesn't distinguish between it. The story on this one... back when TBS gave up their rights to broadcast the Braves they maintained a group of Braves games that were broadcast on "Turner South", a channel that only was available in some southern states. FOX Sports South later bought Turner South, and it became Fox Sports Southeast. When Fox Sports bought the channel they tried to charge the cable companies and satellite providers more money for the additional block of Braves games they acquired as part of the purchase. Most cable companies and DirecTV agreed to the $$, so customers of those were still able to see the entire schedule of Braves games. Dish refused, so the block of Braves games that Turner South (now Fox Sports Southeast) controlled were off limits to Dish customers. Like the OP, I thought they had resolved this and now all the games were available. But I guess not.

EDIT: Here was the story. Maybe since they're doing so bad Dish asked for a decreased rate?
By RODNEY HO/ rho@ajc.com, originally filed Tuesday, March 15, 2016

After three years, Dish Network and Fox Sports have finally resolved a long dispute that kept 50 weekend Atlanta Braves off the air in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

This year, Dish Network subscribers will finally get to watch all Braves games that air on Fox Sports networks.

In 2013, Fox Sports bought out the game rights for games that were originally going to air on Peachtree TV and asked for some extra money from the cable and satellite carriers. Everyone said fine – except Dish. Dish has said Fox was asking for too much for rights. Fox didn’t budge.

Dish in metro Atlanta from 2013 through 2015 aired about 100 weekday Braves games each year but blocked out around 50, usually the ones on weekends.

This year, Fox Sports will air 157 of the Braves’ 162 games. It’s split between Fox Sports South (80 games) and Fox Sports Southeast (77 games).

The Braves open the regular season on Fox Sports Southeast at home against the Washington Nationals on Monday, April 4 at 4 p.m. ET

This dispute had no impact on subscribers of AT&T U-Verse, Charter, DirecTV and Xfinity.

Last edited:
Reactions: DawgDeputy
There was a rare case involved where fox bought out local station rights but dish contract had X number of games. Truthfully it sounded like sh!tty wording. Should've been any game broadcasted.

Only thing I can think of is a misplaced flag as none are on national tv.
That was my thought as well. I had online chats with both Fox and Dish last night. Dish blamed Fox saying it was being blacked out by the broadcaster. Fox said they shouldn't be blacked out and they would check on it. As of now the games for tonight and tomorrow are still blacked out and I still haven't gotten an answer from either.

Last edited:
What alternate channels? I was able to watch last night using the Fox Sports Go app on the iPad. Which is interesting because it authenticates using my Dish Network login.

It's time for the FCC to get involved more than they are. The blackout rule was originally implemented to protect home stadium attendance, not to protect TV broadcast agreements. If, for instance, ESPN is carrying a Philles away game, say LA or San Fran, it get's blacked out locally anyway because Comcast has exclusive rights to all the Phillies games and ESPN can only carry it out of market. It boils down to "If you don't want to, or can't, subscribe to our service we won't let you watch even though another service is carrying it." I find it ridiculous that the commissioner goes on ESPN and talks about MLB's necessity to bring young fans back into baseball, and how can they bolster their interest, while at the same time allowing clubs to sign exclusive contracts with non-transmitting carriers and cable companies thereby locking out large segments of fans and potential fans. Since Comcast forced Ch 17 out a couple of years ago I haven't seen a single Phillies game and because of the absurd post-season agreements I only get to see the National League playoffs every other year. So, I'm relegated to listening to the games on the radio but I'm hearing rumours that Comcast wants to shut down that as well. It's become very difficult to continue to be a fan and I've been one since the Whiz Kids of 1950.

I understand the OP's concern but the Braves are so horrible, I didn't realize anyone was actually watching.

Reactions: yomama
I understand the OP's concern but the Braves are so horrible, I didn't realize anyone was actually watching.

Was getting ready to say the same thing. I grew up a Braves fan and still am but they are unwatchable. Their current lineup looks like something from a bad AA squad

It's time for the FCC to get involved more than they are. The blackout rule was originally implemented to protect home stadium attendance, not to protect TV broadcast agreements. If, for instance, ESPN is carrying a Philles away game, say LA or San Fran, it get's blacked out locally anyway because Comcast has exclusive rights to all the Phillies games and ESPN can only carry it out of market. It boils down to "If you don't want to, or can't, subscribe to our service we won't let you watch even though another service is carrying it." I find it ridiculous that the commissioner goes on ESPN and talks about MLB's necessity to bring young fans back into baseball, and how can they bolster their interest, while at the same time allowing clubs to sign exclusive contracts with non-transmitting carriers and cable companies thereby locking out large segments of fans and potential fans. Since Comcast forced Ch 17 out a couple of years ago I haven't seen a single Phillies game and because of the absurd post-season agreements I only get to see the National League playoffs every other year. So, I'm relegated to listening to the games on the radio but I'm hearing rumours that Comcast wants to shut down that as well. It's become very difficult to continue to be a fan and I've been one since the Whiz Kids of 1950.

Yes, MLB and the blackout rules are ridiculous! They should be trying to get as much baseball in front of as many fans as possible. I would bet, more so than other sports, MLB has a very team-focused fan base. I've been an out of market Braves fan for 30+ years. I pay for MLB Extra Innings, but really only care about watching the Braves games with the Braves announcers. I live in Illnois, so when the Braves play the Cardinals, Cubs or White Sox, I have to watch their broadcast and listen to their announcers. BUT, the WGN-Chicago Cubs games are not always broadcast on my local channels, so, even though I pay for MLB Extra Innings, I can't watch the broadcast because my local channels aren't carrying the Cubs game. In what world does that make sense?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts