BREAKING: DIRECTV to show Super Bowl LVIII in 4K

According to DIRECTV’s Insider online magazine, there will be a 4K feed of the Super Bowl airing on channel 105 in 4K. It’s not clear at this point if this will be a genuine 4K feed or an upsampled 1080p feed as we have seen in prior years. The game goes from Fox to CBS every other year, and in the past it’s been Fox that’s given us the pseudo-4K coverage. While I admit that it still looked great, I think we all have to say that 4K is 4K and everything else is not.

It’s possible that one of the reasons this isn’t being promoted as heavily is that this will be another upscaled broadcast. If so, that would truly be a shame. The game is being played at one of the league’s newest stadiums. You absolutely know that they have 4K production capability there.

Still unknown if you will be able to stream in 4K​

The game will be available on Paramount+ if you don’t have DIRECTV 4K service. However, there’s been no word as to whether that stream will be in 4K or not. While Paramount+ has other 4K programming, it’s not known whether they have the bandwidth to support a 4K stream going to so many people at the same time.

I’m just reading between the lines here but I am guessing that if Paramount+ were going to put up a 4K stream, they would have talked about it here. The fact that they aren’t adds more credence to the theory that the game as shown on DIRECTV won’t be a native 4K broadcast but will be an upsampled 1080p one.

Upsampled or not, it’s going to look great on DIRECTV​

Yes, I kind of look down my nose at upsampled content. I think that people should be more aware as to whether or not they are getting true 4K. A lot of times, when it comes to streaming, you might be getting 4K or you might not. If you are getting 4K, it’s been compressed down so much you can’t tell the difference from HD. But I do have to admit that upscaled 1080p does look very good on DIRECTV. No, it’s not true 4K. But it still looks great. When you’re getting a DIRECTV 4K broadcast, you’re getting a higher bitrate than you would get with HD. You’re also getting more advanced encoding. The result is that you just see a clearer picture with fewer artifacts.

I’ve watched the game in 4K when DIRECTV has broadcast it. I’ve enjoyed seeing it. I have e feeling you’ll enjoy it too.

If you haven’t upgraded to DIRECTV 4K, this is the perfect time. I can’t make promises of course. Still, if you call Solid Signal at 888-233-7563 now, expect to get your 4K upgrade before kickoff. We are DIRECTV dealers, able to offer the same deals you’d get if you ordered straight from DIRECTV. We offer the highest level of customer service. We’ll work hard to make sure you get what you need.

Call us during East Coast business hours or fill out the form below. Let’s all get into the world of 4K together!

The bloodsucking lawyers would like me to remind you that the use of the term “Super Bowl” and any other trademarks owned by the NFL or other companies does not constitute an endorsement by those companies of Signal Group, LLC.

The post BREAKING: DIRECTV to show Super Bowl LVIII in 4K appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...