Breaking ground on a 4DTV install this saturday. Looking for advice on actuator wiring.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'll be using the 920 along with a few different DVB receivers. I have a Pansat 2500 (DVB-S), Coolsat 5000 (DVB-S), and a Prof-7301 (DVB-S/DVB-S2). I'm planning to use the 920 for FP/ZK surfing (and a H2H channel or ten) and dish moving/polarity switching. Depending on how much I like the 4DTV service, I may just swap out the LNBF for a DMX741 and get a Gbox/Vbox.

It will be easier now to add a couple of spare RG6 cables for any additional dishes that you might add. Doing it later will be a lot harder and doesn't cost that much since everything will be open.

I'll be using the 920 along with a few different DVB receivers. I have a Pansat 2500 (DVB-S), Coolsat 5000 (DVB-S), and a Prof-7301 (DVB-S/DVB-S2). I'm planning to use the 920 for FP/ZK surfing (and a H2H channel or ten) and dish moving/polarity switching. Depending on how much I like the 4DTV service, I may just swap out the LNBF for a DMX741 and get a Gbox/Vbox.

That being the case, I'd go ahead and stick with genuine C/Ku ribbon. Both Skyvision and Rick sells it. If you don't mind putting on the connectors yourself, Rick will be quite a bit cheaper.

Even if you end up with a V/G-box & an LNBF, you're still gonna need motor control wires, and probably an additional run for Ku. Genuine C/Ku ribbon has all that already. Plus, if you ever end up with a feed that has servo controlled polarity, genuine ribbon has the wires for that too.

I put this type of cable in my system 19 years ago. I ran it about 6 to 8 inches deep in PVC. I would definitely run it in some type of conduit instead of burying it directly. If you're ever digging around in the yard, it's nice to have something for your shovel to bounce off of before cutting the cable. Plus, if you use a large enough diameter, you could always use your old cable to pull though a new one if it ever went bad.

Cheers

Okay, sounds like you've done your homework and know what sort of trouble you're gettin' into. :)

As for size of conduit, a few extra bucks on larger diameter now, saves a back-breaking dig later.
Consider 1½ or 2 inch, and put wide sweeping curve pieces on it, not right angle ones.
I've seen some pieces with a 6, 8, or maybe 12 inch radius.

Lastly, if you have some Cat-5 cable, I'd run a piece of that, too.
There are four pairs, and you'll think of something to use it for. :)

...and put wide sweeping curve pieces on it, not right angle ones.
I've seen some pieces with a 6, 8, or maybe 12 inch radius.

Sweeping curves. I could not think of that lingo! Thanks! :)
A buddy of mine calls them "sweeps" but I do not know if that is trade or not.
I did have to use a 90 degree fitting with the access panel to enter my basement.

There an exception to every rule.

In '92, I had my dish mounted on a pole that was concreted in the ground & attached to the house near the top so the wires ran directly down the pole & into the crawl space.

In '96, I temporarily mounted the pole in the dirt & ran the ribbon cable overhead while I built my house. (what a disaster that was)

In '98, I planted the pole in concrete about 75 feet from the house & buried the ribbon cable about a foot down. I had screened topsoil so I laid a layer of top soil in the ditch, laid the the ribbon cable, then filled the rest of the ditch with top soil. This is the original ribbon cable from the original purchase & it's been buried directly for 13 of those 19 years with no problem so far.

Other wraps I've used on various projects is to wrap the wire in fiberglass insulation, fine cedar sawdust & even pipe wrap that protects pipes from freezing.

I'm not necessarily recommending these alternatives as better than conduit, just cheaper if you're on a budget. There's always a chance a rock will eventually make it's way to the cable & cut it as to where with plastic water pipe or conduit, you should never have to worry.

since i do HVAC work, i ran 8 conductor thermostat wire to my dishes. 18 awg copper. works great for moving the dish and servo motor.

Concrete amount

I'm not going to worry too much about getting the wire buried today. I just want to get the pole in the ground properly. Any idea how many bags of concrete I need to get a 36" deep hole with a 12 inch diameter filled up with cement? 4 80lb bags?

Also, it's supposed to freeze tonight, is it a bad idea to pour concrete?

Edit:
Short answer: yes--it's a bad idea.

Cold Weather Concrete Installation

I think I would widen the hole a little. Maybe 2 feet at least. 2 feet in diameter & 3 feet deep is the minimum I'd go.

And you can pour your concrete if it's freezing outside as long as the dirt in the hole is not frozen & it's not so cold that the cement freezes before you pour it. That link shows not to pour something like a slab or a sidewalk on frozen ground. Your concrete will be protected by the dirt around it. But as a precaution to protect the top, I would place some shavings or an old blanket over the top after you're done to keep the top from freezing.
Another trick I've done is to use hot water in the cement, although adding hot water will cause the cement to start curing a little faster.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)