Breaking News.............Paul Pierce opts out of Celtics contract

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Pierce forfeits his 2010-11 $21.5 mil contract, and is NOW an unrestricted FA and can sign a four year max deal with ANY team including the (unlikely) Celtics

Things that make you go hmmmmmm................

Which teams do you think would be a good fit for Pierce if he were to sign elsewhere? (i.e. which teams could fill a weakness by signing him?)

Without Pierce's contract, the Celtics have $42 million dollars going to just five players: Garnett, Perkins Rondo Davis and Rasheed Wallace. If the salary cap is somewhere around $56 million, then they can't buy even one max contract.

Theoretically, they could get someone to take 'Sheed's contract for a future draft choice and eeke out enough money for one max contract that way, but why would any star sign with the Celtics, as they would have no depth, no means to acquire depth except by using one mid-level exception and verteran minimums, and at the end of next year, they may lose Davis and Perkins.

Could be that the Celtics will be looking at a decade of drafting Jerome Moisos, Kedrick Browns and Michael Smiths. We need McHale to land a nice GM job somewhere so he can trade the Celtics another Kevin Garnett.

Wow I guess losing the finals in 7 did hurt him out of the C's in a way where he thinks he can't win with them any more?? Hmmm

Can the Celts use Wallace's contract to expand their cap room to accommodate a max player, then re-sign Pierce and Allen as Larry Bird Exceptions?

At that money Pierce may be doing the C's a favor. He sure didnt bring it to the hoop against the lakers and collect fouls.

HD MM said:
With all the other big name free agents out there this summer, does Paul Pierce actually think he's still a "max player" too?

I don't think he is. But than again I don't think Chris Bosch is either, and everyone seems to be fawning over him. These max contracts some of these guys are going to get are going to hamstring some of these franchises. I feel bad for the organization that is going to max a player like Amare Stoudamire.

Without Pierce's contract, the Celtics have $42 million dollars going to just five players: Garnett, Perkins Rondo Davis and Rasheed Wallace. If the salary cap is somewhere around $56 million, then they can't buy even one max contract.

Theoretically, they could get someone to take 'Sheed's contract for a future draft choice and eeke out enough money for one max contract that way, but why would any star sign with the Celtics, as they would have no depth, no means to acquire depth except by using one mid-level exception and verteran minimums, and at the end of next year, they may lose Davis and Perkins.

Could be that the Celtics will be looking at a decade of drafting Jerome Moisos, Kedrick Browns and Michael Smiths. We need McHale to land a nice GM job somewhere so he can trade the Celtics another Kevin Garnett.

I thought Sheed was going to retire. (?)

Pierce, Celtics New Deal, Done?

BOSTON -- The Boston Celtics and captain Paul Pierce opened talks on a new contract Thursday and are making progress in negotiations, sources close to the situation have told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Multiple media outlets are reporting that the sides have reached agreement on a four-year extension, but those reports are premature, sources told ESPN.com. Pierce is engaged in talks with no other team, but a deal has not been completed, the sources said Friday.

The Boston Herald, which first reported on the deal, says Pierce would get $61 million over four years, with a mutual option for the fourth year. The Associated Press, citing a Celtics team official who spoke on the condition of anonymity, is reporting that the sides have agreed to terms.

NBA free agency: Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics haven't reached deal - ESPN Boston