Brett Favre Please retire. (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
SouthEast United States
vurbano said:
Bingo. He gives up the ball almost twice a game. 2 less offensive drives for the team and two extra for the opposition. The interceptions are what destroy his stats. With the parity in the league today he cant win like that. The game has passed him by.
One half season does not a career make....give it up.

And Aikman is NOT one of the big three, and never could be. A domer QB with 5 HOF players around him and average talent himself - not even in the top 3 in ANY stat.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
pradike said:
One half season does not a career make....give it up.

And Aikman is NOT one of the big three, and never could be. A domer QB with 5 HOF players around him and average talent himself - not even in the top 3 in ANY stat.

The measure of a QB is not stats. Its rings and winning. Not yardage. There is no Quarterback Id rather start in a big game than Aikman or Bradshaw because they win the big games. In 1993 I saw Aikman throw huge touchdown passes after being knocked silly to the point that he didnt remember them the next day. When Aikman had the oppurtunity he won, so did Terry. Infact he knocked Brett out of the playoffs in 1993, 1994 and 1995. When that loser Favre finally got to the big game (after Dallas was in decline) he lost one, and won one and chose to go get high on Vicodan and booze it up. He couldnt carry Troy or Terry's jock strap and I wouldnt start him for fear he'd lose me the ball game.
 
Last edited:
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
3,545
8
NW Oregon
vurbano said:
The measure of a QB is not stats. Its rings and winning. Not yardage. There is no Quaterback Id rather start in a big game than Aikman or Bradshaw. Ive seen Aikman throw huge touchdown passes after being knocked silly to the point that he didnt remember them the next day. When Aikman had the oppurtunity he won, so did Terry. When Favre had it he lost one, and won one and chose to go get high on Vicodan and booze it up. He couldnt carry Troy or Terry's jock strap.

Agree with Bradshaw but I'd take Montana over Aikman for the big game.


NightRyder
 

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 11, 2005
616
58
Suburbs of Milwaukee
Being a Packers fan has been a lot of fun. Yet, I think this might be it for Brett. My reasons are not from the diminished skills arguement or from the point of view that says, "Brett has no talent around him." I think he is done because his eyes say it!

I have a lifetime of memories to last me well beyond the 15 years that Brett dedicated himself to this great game. I will treasure every one of them.

I enjoy athletic greatness. For me it is always the same. When i see a men like Brett, Michael Jordan, Reggie Jackson, Walter Payton, Fran Tarkenton, Nolan Ryan, etc. I savor every act of greatness, when they are on the field. The great ones never seem to play long enough for me. They can do so much that I can't! It amazes me. Once they are REALLY gone, they are gone for good. And the game just isn't the same without them.

So, I tip my hat to Brett (and to Deon Sanders for that matter too, who may also retire this year.) Brett can play for as long as he would like in my book. He has earned the right to retire on his own terms.

But I do think that this is his last year. The next time he is standing on the sidelines, as my team is in the process of getting their rear ends kicked, just look at those eyes. The fire is still there, but that fire is not the same as it once was. They are the eyes of satisfaction, disappointment, and retirement!

Signed,
Bleed Green and Gold until the day I die and loving it!
 
Last edited:

minorthr

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jun 8, 2004
1,123
1
earth
pradike said:
Let me simplify things even further...
If Favre plays 1-2 more years, he has the potential to be #1 in virtually every QB category period. And he will have done it in less years than Marino and Elway. And unlike Marino, he's been to 2 Superbowls and won 1. Based on those facts, the interception stat is virtually meaningless and he would be the best of all time. End of story - set and match.


Well he would have to throw for 8,000 yards in one year or 4,000 per for 2 which I don't see happening.

Tds maybe he has I believe 395 marino had 420 so he would need 26. In one year probably not going to happen if he continues to play the way he is. over two years that could be done.

And would need 340 completions to be #1 which is due able in one year

That being said if he continues to play at the detriment of his team just to get records cough Emmitt Smith cough and thats his only reason thats ridiculous and just makes me think even more that he is hugely selfish.

I'm just not a Favre fan never have been. His superbowl win means nothing to me. Trent dilfer and Brad Johnson have won superbowls and I don't think they are headed to the hall of fame.

I think the media paints him out to be this goodie goodie lovable guy and thats just not him. Look at whenever he plays like sh*t you never see him talk to the media. After that playoff loss in philly he disappeared for months. Unfortunately for him this year he hasn't had any personal tragedies for the media to grab a hold of and the real Favre is starting to come out.
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
NightRyder said:
Agree with Bradshaw but I'd take Montana over Aikman for the big game.


NightRyder
Montana was a great one also. The point is brett is not on the same podium and these multiple SB winners sorry.
 

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
SouthEast United States
vurbano said:
....I wouldnt start him for fear he'd lose me the ball game.
Which is why you're not an NFL coach and never will be. :devil:

If stats means nothing, than explain why all HOF players are judged by that.

I'd agree that Montana belongs in the top tier too, but then, he also happened to luck out with a mitfull of HOF players around him. Heck, I bet Jerry Rice could catch a ball that YOU even threw his way...

The common demoninator in all of these Top 4 or 5 QBs is that they had HOF receivers - except for Favre and Elway, and Elway had Terrell Davis to cush his job big time.

Top 5 QBs of all time, based on THEIR talent alone:

1) Marino
2) Favre
3) Montana
4) Elway
5) Aikman / Bradshaw (tied)

Isn't it interesting that that's almost exactly the way they rank statistically for TDs, wins, yards, etc. as well - so much for stats meaning nothing. All are HOF or will be. All won at least one Superbowl. each had a unique "style" and skills. I'd take any one of them to lead the 2 minute drill in the Superbowl.

We're all just lucky enough to have witnessed them play. I feel lucky that I got to see 3 Superbowls in person with 3 of them involved.

To diminish any one of them based on 1/2 of a season of desperate plays due to a record number of injured players around them is just plain ridiculous.

They'll all rest in Canton forever as the best of our time, and few are around to even be considered in the same sentence.
 

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
SouthEast United States
Spike said:
My reasons are not from the diminished skills arguement or from the point of view that says, "Brett has no talent around him." I think he is done because his eyes say it!

I have a lifetime of memories to last me well beyond the 15 years that Brett dedicated himself to this great game. I will treasure every one of them... And the game just isn't the same without them.

So, I tip my hat to Brett (and to Deon Sanders for that matter too, who may also retire this year.) Brett can play for as long as he would like in my book. He has earned the right to retire on his own terms.
You've said it best so far!!! :) :up

Perhaps now this thread can be retired!
 

NightRyder

1978 Y88 T/A 6.6 4 spd 1978-2020 RIP
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
3,545
8
NW Oregon
pradike said:
We're all just lucky enough to have witnessed them play.

Can't argue with that. Players who excelled at their positions and played for love of the game. It doesn't get any better than that. Sadly I think the later has been replaced by money for many present day athletes. :(


NightRyder
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
Top 5 QB's of all time based on what matters most. Not yards/TDs or any of stat boys garbage. Who would you have start the big one? The guys that win the bigs ones

1. Bradshaw/ Montana/ Aikman/Brady
Staubach
2. Elway
3. Plunkett
4. Doug Williams, Brett Favre, Phil Sims, Theisman and everyone else with a SB win
5. Marino
 

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
SouthEast United States
vurbano said:
Top 5 QB's of all time based on what matters most. Not yards/TDs or any of stat boys garbage. Who would you have start the big one? The guys that win the bigs ones

1. Bradshaw/ Montana/ Aikman/Brady
Staubach
2. Elway
3. Plunkett
4. Doug Williams, Brett Favre, Phil Sims, Theisman and everyone else with a SB win
5. Marino
Williams, Simms, Plunkett, Theisman....???? :p

Good grief....that list is so out of whack that one has to wonder....:eek:

Clearly, the boat has run adrift.
The lights are on but no ones home. :yikes
 

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
23,813
104
Newport News, VA
What is out of whack is your fixation on worthless stats. NO owner or coach would chose a quarterback if they knew he would have great stats and win a SB over a QB that would win 3 or 4 superbowls. Clearly you have lost all of the marbles you had left. Decent QB's make the playoffs. Great ones win big games in the playoffs. And the greatest ones win multiple times. Favre is the typical QB that won one big game despite his glaring flaws because a great defense and the other offensive players that carried him. Thats why he could only do it once and that is why he is no more great than say Williams or Sims.
 

pradike

SatelliteGuys Guru
Jan 26, 2004
129
0
SouthEast United States
vurbano said:
What is out of whack is your fixation on worthless stats. NO owner or coach would chose a quarterback if they knew he would have great stats and win a SB over a QB that would win 3 or 4 superbowls. Clearly you have lost all of the marbles you had left. Decent QB's make the playoffs. Great ones win big games in the playoffs. And the greatest ones win multiple times. Favre is the typical QB that won one big game despite his glaring flaws because a great defense and the other offensive players that carried him. Thats why he could only do it once and that is why he is no more great than say Williams or Sims.
Blah Blah Blah
Yada Yada Yada
Same old same old...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the boring banter though, now I'm ready to go to sleep tonight... :D
 
Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top