Brian Kelly will be named Charlie Weis' successor at Notre Dame

Quitting before the bowl game does suck, but it is just an exhibition. Cincinnati doesn't get any reward if they beat Florida, so who cares who's coaching. Were there a playoff it'd be different. Plus this is prime recruiting season and ND is hurting for players. If they don't have someone out there trying to sign kids they're going to be left with nothing but Rudy's playing for them next year.

For teams that DON"T get to BIG time bowl games, this is as big as it gets for Cincy. It's NOT just another game.

The Head Coach is NOT the only person that does the recruiting, they should have others there still that can do some of the work. were only talking 2 weeks.

Like I said, move the commitment back 2 weeks.

it sucks for FLA also. Now they get to beat a coachless team.. What fun is that

or they could play even better without the coach just to spite him.. Who knows.

Like I said, move the commitment back 2 weeks.
I'm with you there, but since that's not the case coaches have to bounce. You never know how it will impact the bowl games though. WV destroyed Oklahoma after RR left for Michigan, and I remember Carolina killed VT in the Gator Bowl after Mack Brown deserted us. Of course the joke was us since we promoted Carl Torbush to HC based on that one game, and then suffered through 3 miserable seasons with him. :(

They would still jump before the bowl game even if they did push the date back.
Unless they make it so you have to stay, unless your released by the school.

They have PLENTY of time to recruit between now and then, 2 weeks is not going to make or break the situation.

The fact that Kelly told Cincy he was going to stay makes me sick.

WHY would he lie to the team?

And why would he even leave Cincy?

Is the Notre Dame coaching job REALLY that special? IMHO, it is NOT. They're a past-their-prime program that acts like they're still hot stuff.

He is a gutless traitor, and I hope he fails at ND.

It's all about the Benjamins, baby.....and the power....and the prestige....

They would still jump before the bowl game even if they did push the date back.
Unless they make it so you have to stay, unless your released by the school.

They have PLENTY of time to recruit between now and then, 2 weeks is not going to make or break the situation.

Its rather interesting that coach's only seem to think their contracts are in effect when they are being fired, they demand payments for a buyout (see Fat Chollie sticking it to ND for approximately $18 million.) When a coach decides to leave, they seem to think their contracts mean nothing (see RR at WVU when he deserted to Michigan and decided he didn't owe WVU a dime.)

Are all coaches basing their behaviors on the "crack whore" model now? It is looking like they are. :D

Seriously, the schools are able to hire competent legal counsel for things and if they choose to NOT legally require a coach to stay through the end of the season, bowls and all, it seems to me its their fault for not including it in their contracts with the coaches. If Kelly wants his bonus for Cincy making a BCS bowl, he should have to stay there to coach it, not dump it on the OC, as he has done. But along the same line, would you want a coach coaching your team knowing that he wanted to be elsewhere? I wouldn't, but I think his bonuses for the season when they jump ship should be contractually cut.

Not sure if there is a "cure" to the whole issue, but it appears so far that the schools haven't even tried to do anything about it.

Note: Kelly jumped to Cincy and deserted the school he was coaching for, so its not like it is anything new for him. UC should have been prepared for him to do it. :( (He deserted Central Michigan before the Motor City Bowl game and went to Cincy to coach them in a bowl that they had won before he got there as their coach had deserted them to go to a job at Michigan State.)

It's all about the Benjamins, baby.....and the power....and the prestige....

as shown by coaches like Bobby "the itinerant coach"Petrino, it sure looks like it is. I think that guy has a clause in his contracts so he gets paid at the end of each day so he can cut and run to the next highest bidder in the middle of the night. :D

Sports is big business and its about time that NCAA sports are taxed appropriately. The days of it being about "sports" is long over, may as well admit it. :(

It was the decision of the Cincy AD to not have Kelly coach the bowl game. It was not Kelly's fault

If that is true, I have No Problem with it.

Had Kelly came out and said that he didn't want to, I would have a HUGE problem with that.

Then again, you never know what was agreed apon behind closed doors.

IMHO,

Coaches moving on - Really a rule on this would just cause problems. Say there was a rule that bound Kelly to UC. Well, UND would just, wink, wink, say that it has not made a decision, still interviewing, blah, blah, blah. Kelly would say that he is "focused on the next game" and such spew.

Kelly - How college teams have to learn this same lesson. Some coach takes players from a fundamentally different level, has a lucky year or two, and somebody tries to extrapolate this into the True Majors. What goes on in the Leastleftovers simply is not the same.

History of the future - As pointed out UND is playing a very light schedule, almost as light as those Kelly faced in the Leastleftovers, and the lapdog media will anoint it as "great", but in the long run, in five years, UND will be right back here. Two words: Skip Holtz.

Last I heard UC is interviewing or at least interested in Skip so maybe in 5 years ND can steal their coach again ;)

schedule is pitiful the next few years but then again since the BCS puts very little weight on SOS it would probably be considered very stupid for an AD to put together an extremely difficult schedule for any team if their ultimate goal is a MNC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)