Brief picture/audio dropouts questions

fmbiii

Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
south Georgia
We have a few channels that experience frequent dropouts where the video and audio both dropout completely. Watching Friends on Nick at Nite is by far the worst, happening every 5 minutes or so. It's also happened a time or two on MeTV and 1 or 2 other channels, but much less frequently. When that happens, we can't rewind past the dropout from our Joey. I'm not sure that we've noticed it on the Hopper 3, but we rarely watch Nickelodeon on it. We have had our Hopper for a few years, and I noticed the other day that the ground wire has rusted away from the dish. Does anyone know if this might be a grounding issue, if the dish may have shifted a bit since it was installed, or if it might be something else entirely? Should I contact Dish support about it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would have all the connections in the system checked. The tech that installed my Hopper 3 this morning found a corroded wire outside from the LNB to the node (or hub) that 3 previous techs had not seen or checked. He said this could manifest as problems with certain channels (we had a Hopper with Sling) having reception issues. Just something that he mentioned that stuck out when I was reading your message.

Reactions: charlesrshell
We have a few channels that experience frequent dropouts where the video and audio both dropout completely. Watching Friends on Nick at Nite is by far the worst, happening every 5 minutes or so. It's also happened a time or two on MeTV and 1 or 2 other channels, but much less frequently. When that happens, we can't rewind past the dropout from our Joey. I'm not sure that we've noticed it on the Hopper 3, but we rarely watch Nickelodeon on it. We have had our Hopper for a few years, and I noticed the other day that the ground wire has rusted away from the dish. Does anyone know if this might be a grounding issue, if the dish may have shifted a bit since it was installed, or if it might be something else entirely? Should I contact Dish support about it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
When this happens, do you get any kind of message on the screen, such as "Refresh in progress" in the lower-right corner, or is it just a black screen? What software version do you have on that Joey?

U761 is the software version. No message, the screen just suddenly very briefly freezes then catches up. It's gotten worse the last few weeks.

I haven't tried a reset lately, but the power went out for about an hour after a severe storm Saturday night. The Joey is always a bit slower to boot up after a power failure but it came up faster than the Hopper did that night. It still froze up after that, though.

Seems to me if you found a ground wire rusted off I would start with the problem being with the connections rather than the Hopper itself. Second to that a problem with the LNB itself.

If i'm reading correctly,
Intermitent freeze frame type stuttering?
Getting worse over time?
Is it happening on all the recievers (hoppers/joeys)?
System checks show 'all green/good'?

These are the signs of a hard drive BEGINNING to fail.
Not enough errors yet to show faulty,
But occassionally stutters.

All video feeds of the Hopper system go through the hard drive before out to tvs or joeys.
That's how you get live tv rewind.
So when sat signal is good,
First suspect for these symptoms is hard drive.

I've had this exact scenario twice (years apart),
And replacing Hopper (hard drive) resolved problem.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts