Bright House Networks to DishNetwork Customers?

SideFx

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I currently have Bright House Networks HD digital cable in Florida. I was wondering if anyone has had BHN and has switched to DN? If so, what was your impression of the actual picture quality - HD sat VS HD cable channels and digital sat VS digital cable channels?

I think HD is the best thing to happen to tv since slice bread and with the HD lineup DN has it makes switching very tempting. Also, I can get more channels including HD with DN and cheaper than I pay currently for less channels including HD with BHN.

Picture quality is VERY important!

I'm new to the HD game as HD also made me go from having a 27" tv to a 50" Sony SXRD for everyday viewing.

I've read a little about how cable and sat use compression technology to allow them to serve us all these channels, but at what cost to the customer does this affect sat VS cable customers?

Is DN's hardware up-to-date with support for HDMI? I ask that because I was told by several BHN tech and service people to NOT use HDMI with their boxes as BHN's hardware doesn't fully support current HDMI. Is HDMI a "big thing" when it comes to choosing the best cables for video quality?

Last edited:
I switched from Brighthouse (Tampa) to Dish Network about 5 months ago. There is no way I would ever think about going back to Brighthsoue. Brighthouse DVR's were junk, the picture quality was garbage, and the customer service... I can't even begin to describe.

Make the switch now !

ColdOnes said:
I switched from Brighthouse (Tampa) to Dish Network about 5 months ago. There is no way I would ever think about going back to Brighthsoue. Brighthouse DVR's were junk, the picture quality was garbage, and the customer service... I can't even begin to describe.

Make the switch now !
Is there truly that much of a picture quality difference or did you switch more because you were frustrated with their customer support? I absolutely understand your frustration when it comes to getting technical problems resolved.

Is DN HD vs BHN HD really that much better? Is there a huge improvement of DN digital vs BHN digital? Can you explain a little more, for example was the picture of HD and digital channels on DN more crisp and clear vs BHN HD and digital being less crisp and clear or something else?

What is DN doing to compete with Directv as far as this... http://www.nab.org/newsroom/pressrel/Statements/DirecTV090904.htm

Last edited:
SideFx said:
Is there truly that much of a picture quality difference or did you switch more because you were frustrated with their customer support? I absolutely understand your frustration when it comes to getting technical problems resolved.

Is DN HD vs BHN HD really that much better? Is there a huge improvement of DN digital vs BHN digital? Can you explain a little more, for example was the picture of HD and digital channels on DN more crisp and clear vs BHN HD and digital being less crisp and clear or something else?

What is DN doing to compete with Directv as far as this... http://www.nab.org/newsroom/pressrel/Statements/DirecTV090904.htm

Dish Network picture quality is much better than BHN in Tampa. I was with Dish for several years went to BHN for a yr, because they offered be a sweet deal. As soon as the deal was over I was back to dish and yes for the entire year I did miss the picture quality, this was on Standard Definition TV. Depending on where your location is Verizon Fios might be coming your way soon and Dish is on 18mo contracts with High Def Receivers. My sister has FIOS and loves it. Much, much cheaper than Dish.

If you watch much on channels 2-78 on cable and your cableco isn't digital simulcasting yet, you'll be very pleased with the improvement of picture quality of Dish (or DirecTV).

If you want a lot of HD choice, Dish is the way to go too. If you want the absolute highest quality of HD, cable will be better than satellite. I don't believe that any TW or BH divisions do anything in the way of compression to the HD channels. That said, I can't tell the difference from TW's HD to Dish's HD...

SideFx said:
I think HD is the best thing to happen to tv since slice bread and with the HD lineup DN has it makes switching very tempting. Also, I can get more channels including HD with DN and cheaper than I pay currently for less channels including HD with BHN.

Picture quality is VERY important!........

SideFx said:
Is there truly that much of a picture quality difference....... Is DN HD vs BHN HD really that much better?......
Why not:
(1) keep BHN HD
(2) sign up for DN HD Bronze
(3) sign up for the DN "30 day money back guarrantee" package
(4) compare and decide for yourself

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
my 2 cents.....i've never had dish network but i have had the competition. i switched back to BHN almost a year ago and the hd pq is 100 percent better. of course, i'm not in tampa but daytona and the difference might be with the system.

as for customer service, i have absolutely no complaints. they take care of me like a rock star!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts