Brilliant Dish Installer

Al K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed my next door neighbor outside with a guy whose truck had a big Dish Network sign on the side. My neighbor was switching from DirecTV to Dish. I talked to the installer and he told me that the Dish Network satellites were in orbit 8.4 million miles from the earth and that is why they can get three sats with one dish. Surprisingly, he was able to get everything working, even 8.4 million miles from the satellite.

Wow ya learn something every day...:D

I noticed my next door neighbor outside with a guy whose truck had a big Dish Network sign on the side. My neighbor was switching from DirecTV to Dish. I talked to the installer and he told me that the Dish Network satellites were in orbit 8.4 million miles from the earth and that is why they can get three sats with one dish. Surprisingly, he was able to get everything working, even 8.4 million miles from the satellite.
wow!!! :eek:

I gotta get that guy to install my OTA antenna....... I think the transmitters are only 7.3 million miles from me...... :rolleyes:

What amazes me is that Dish is able to keep all of their spotbeams on target from 8 million miles away.

I'm truly impressed!

Geosynchronous with an entire hemisphere! Funny how I didn't see the Saturn V's big brother tossing those things into orbit!

you know how to take a crap but do you know EVERY little detail that goes into it?

just wondering....

Sooo.....since this satellite is in geosynchronous orbit, it makes one revolution per 24 hours. If I did my math right (pi*D), that's 52.7 million miles in 24 hours or just under 2.2 million mph.

No wonder the signal bounces off so many targets before it hits the earth. Sigh - finally figured out the source of at least 5 AC360 and Larry King Live CNN daily reruns :D :D

you know how to take a crap but do you know EVERY little detail that goes into it?

just wondering....

Sorry, if you work in an industry you should have a decent background knowledge of it. After all, lots of us who don't work in the industry do -- it's not a secret, nor is it particularly advanced physics.

Sorry, if you work in an industry you should have a decent background knowledge of it. After all, lots of us who don't work in the industry do -- it's not a secret, nor is it particularly advanced physics.

some of our best installers dont know all the physics behind it, but they do know how to make it all work for ya - with very low trouble calls.

i stand behind my crap question, you know what the end result is......but you know every process in the production of that crap? i doubt it.

maybe hes a little green and perhaps alot of people on here are "buffs".

if the installer did a good job but is a little ignorant on some of the details - give the guy a break.

sheesh

lets start another ignorant custy thread.......

Sooo.....since this satellite is in geosynchronous orbit, it makes one revolution per 24 hours. If I did my math right (pi*D), that's 52.7 million miles in 24 hours or just under 2.2 million mph.

Now do the calculation to determine how much faster they had to set the clocks on those satellites to keep them synched with the ground!

some of our best installers dont know all the physics behind it, but they do know how to make it all work for ya - with very low trouble calls.

i stand behind my crap question, you know what the end result is......but you know every process in the production of that crap? i doubt it.

maybe hes a little green and perhaps alot of people on here are "buffs".

if the installer did a good job but is a little ignorant on some of the details - give the guy a break.

sheesh

lets start another ignorant custy thread.......
Fair enough, but not knowing the answer is different from spouting the first big number off the top of your head...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)