Broadband audit important question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I plug all of my receivers into cheap APC UPS boxes.. That completely kills dishcomm for me. Though not my intent as I need the UPSes because I have less than 100% reliable power, I noticed tht as soon as it was plugged into the UPS, dishcomm quit finding any other IRDs in my house.

I have a 922 in mexico, and been using it for 2-3 months now. Hooked up via Ethernet to my broadband here. I think if they tried to see mine, they probably wouldn't get anything. Good Question. I don't think they have the man power of seeing and checking all of this.

Receivers Reporting to Dish Via ethernet?

Just was wondering when does the dishnetwork Receivers report back or sends information to dishnetwork via Ethernet connection? I read it happens at night and or 2-3 times a month? Just curious is all.

On occasion I look at the access log on my firewall. Somebody on my network is connecting to "echo.dishaccess.tv" about once per minute. I assume it's my 622. I note activity on the ethernet connection on my 622 about once per minute, as well.

The name resolves to an IP address which is located in Cheyenne, WY. Dish has an uplink center there. I haven't bothered to trace what is being sent. I suspect it's binary data or encrypted, neither of which I would understand.

If you go to diagnosis and look up counters you will see the time and day your receiver is checked thru your broadband connection--mine is every night at 12.49p.m PST--also like all broadband and the internet you connection is identifiable by your internet address-the first 3 number indicate your state, and the next indicate you township.
Dish can keep track of your receiver to know if its been re-located.

P.S the only way to "block" your broadband address is to not use it-once its enabled you will always broadcast your location

I checked that awhile back, and noticed it does it around 11:30pm. I will check again see if the time is consistent. I usually disconnect it from the network before turning in, which is around 10pm. I think I will be fine if that time frame stays that way. I connect it early evening if I sling to a computer upstairs.

Just checked the timers, it says it checks the status around 1:20am and schedule tonight around the same time. It's a pain to disconnect every night, but better do so. Thanks for the info.

receiver might vary time if its unable to phone home for too long.

years ago i had a box with that problem the modem was fried, it became very persistent trying to report in.

i solved it by replacing the box

You can always bypass the different ip address by setting up a simple vpn tunnel to and from your main location thus making every box report from the same ip address.

You can always bypass the different ip address by setting up a simple vpn tunnel to and from your main location thus making every box report from the same ip address.

True. Assuming you were going to commit the crime of stealing, you would think they would just tell there "friends" not to hook up the ethernet.

I may plug back in the phone connection since it's a phone number from the same city as the receiver is from. I have Vonage. Also my name is on the dish acct as well. I don't know if it can call home via phone or must be ethernet? My internet is dsl.

On occasion I look at the access log on my firewall. Somebody on my network is connecting to "echo.dishaccess.tv" about once per minute. I assume it's my 622. I note activity on the ethernet connection on my 622 about once per minute, as well.

The name resolves to an IP address which is located in Cheyenne, WY. Dish has an uplink center there. I haven't bothered to trace what is being sent. I suspect it's binary data or encrypted, neither of which I would understand.

thats disturbing. once per minute?

And then there are those of us that have two different ISPs in our home. Qwest is reliable, but slow. PeakInter.net wireless is fast, but can be iffy. Three of the four HD DVRs are on Qwest, the fourth on PeakInter.net. Must make it hard for the audit folks. Also, all connected to home phone line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts