Broadband for a 222k

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dishman1978

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
California
Whats the real point? For a dvr, obviously VOD, but when it comes to a 222k, what exactly is it used for? Anybody know? Cuz this is being pushed so hard at our LSC but nobody can tell me what it does for the customer or how they benefit from it over a phone line.

Broadband connection can take the place of the phone connection for all diagnostic, auditing, and ordering of PPV's or other services. This works out better for some people who don't have a land line near the box, but can get wireless internet to the box or those devices that use your home's wiring to connect devices to your network and broadband.

I would also think that the internet is a far cheaper method of connection than Dish's current system of boxes call expensive toll-free telephone numbers to "phone home". I'm not saying I know this for certain, but internet has gotta be way cheaper than what businesses pay for those toll-free lines because they are truly expensive to the company. That may be why there is a big push for broadband connection as well as just getting everybody broadband connected for some unforeseen uses yet to come. Also, Ethernet jacks on consumer electronics are now just about standard, and sometimes are present without a current function, but there for possible future use.

The 222K (and the predecessor 222) were designed to have DVR functionality using an external HDD like the 211K. Presumably, this would have also allowed for downloaded content via DishONLINE. However, this promise was made YEARS ago, and Dish is still pretty mum about if those boxes will EVER become DVR functional. Charlie did say on a past Chat that the software to make that happen was a coming, but Jim kept talking over Charlie saying, "No. no," but Charlie kept on talking and Jim kept on interrupting. That was like a year ago. Some of us believe that the reason the 222 and 222K are YEARS behind in providing DVR capability is Dish's decision to have USB 2.0 as the port for external drives while EVERY other DVR designed at the same time (2005-2006) opted for eSATA. USB 2.0, cheap and ubiquitous (Charlie LOVES cheap) just doesn't have the bandwidth to provide a 2 tuner DVR experience equal to the internal HDD models (connected via SATA, one presumes). We just want Dish to please tell us if this is a dead concept so we can all move on, or if there is something coming down the sat soon.

Last edited:
Well for these two months (and hopefully more later) there is the incentive program, and connectivity percentage towards Elegibility (if you're not already FSS IV). I just tell people that it allows me to send out signal strengths, to diagnose some problems, and to make sure it is still working ok. Since the connectivity device is free, most people don't complain, they just want to ask questions to feel like they're "in the loop".

Which LSC are you at?

I have heard Google tv might end up on the 222k and maybe even the sling. Plus everything is being driven by the enternet these days and yes I just recieved 1 of the 50 dollars bonuses for connecting 18 customers in a month. I wish they would keep that going and not just as a special treat for us poor old techs:)

I have heard Google tv might end up on the 222k and maybe even the sling. Plus everything is being driven by the enternet these days and yes I just recieved 1 of the 50 dollars bonuses for connecting 18 customers in a month. I wish they would keep that going and not just as a special treat for us poor old techs:)

Did you hear anything in an ATM about anything good ever coming to the 222(k)? It's kinda the middle child that everyone forgot. If they ever come out with something for it, it will have to be compatible with both hardware versions or they probably won't release it at all. For now Google TV will just be coming to 722(k), and it's a well know secret 922 will have it.

Also, I got the full hundred, 20 IP and 6 phone.

vash1090 said:
Well for these two months (and hopefully more later) there is the incentive program, and connectivity percentage towards Elegibility (if you're not already FSS IV). I just tell people that it allows me to send out signal strengths, to diagnose some problems, and to make sure it is still working ok. Since the connectivity device is free, most people don't complain, they just want to ask questions to feel like they're "in the loop".

Which LSC are you at?

Benicia, ca. I push for them too, i just wanna be more educated as to exactly what it does, i qlreqdy qualified for the incentive with most BB connections. So im good for november.

I talked to my FSM and put him on the spot and he said its all for future use. I think phone lines are better for the red headed step child 222k. My question would be VOD pay per veiw dont you need enternet hooked up for it to display 1080p. I havent tried it or seen anybody who has

joshua.mcglothlen said:
I talked to my FSM and put him on the spot and he said its all for future use. I think phone lines are better for the red headed step child 222k. My question would be VOD pay per veiw dont you need enternet hooked up for it to display 1080p. I havent tried it or seen anybody who has

Vod doesnt work on the 222, unless there is a way to access it that i dont know.

From the posts it seems that Dish has accepted that the future is broadband and they want as many connected as possible for Google TV and known and UNknown features yet to come and this also makes the future successor to the 922 (dependent on internet access for cover art, etc.) that may become the new standard DVR, an easy model to install if people already have their current boxes connected to broadband. I also still make an argument that Dish wants to get rid of as many of those expensive toll-free lines for the boxes to call home that must cost Dish a fortune. They are truly expensive. This would be similar to Charlie always pushing people to go CC Autopay and Paperless billing. Charlie once stated many years ago, that Dish spent about $750,000 a year on return envelopes. Charlie like to save anywhere he can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts