Broadband & VIP612

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
I'm trying to get my VIP612 online. I have ethernet coming from my modem to a router to the 612. When I reset the connection nothing happens, all zeros (except the MAC address). The lights blink on the router and on the 612 like it is connecting but it is not. I know the router is working because I have it connected to my airport express and it is working. When I plug the ethernet from the modem directly to the 612 it still does not make a connection. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bad cable?

Not setting the ViP612 to use DHCP is another possible boner.

Having a DHCP address pool that is too small is sometimes a problem.

Configuring the router to serve up addresses to only known MAC addresses is one of the more obscure problems.

Have you tried manually assigning an appropriate IP address (use the router IP address as the Primary DNS)?

I just figured out that my router is not a router but an ethernet hub. Is this my problem? Shouldn't it work if I connect the ethernet directly from the modem?

Modem is very old msn/qwest netdsl 800 ARESCOM. Confirmed that it does use DHCP. Can't get bluray to connect either. Any ideas? How do I confirm 612 is set to recieve DHCP?

Actually, with the bluray player it does register an IP address and subnet mask but not a default gateway or DNS server (primary). I don't know what any of this means but maybe some of you experts do and I would like to learn.

What IP is the BluRay player getting? It needs to start with 10, 172, or 192. Not 169... that IP would indicate an error (technically, self-assigned, or no server found).

Your modem needs to be giving out local IP addresses to each device, e.g. 192.168.1.5. The devices should have the modem's IP as gateway/DNS, for example, 192.168.1.1.

The hub also needs to be passively letting traffic through and not trying to do any routing. Some hubs still have an uplink port and do what's called "double NAT" or basically, to put it simply, it's as if you have 2 local DHCP servers plus your ISP's. That will confuse devices if that is the case.

The 612 is finicky with incoming connections and if it's not just so, it won't work. Heck, it periodically drops even on my LAN powered by a brand-new Apple router and all-CAT6 wiring for gigabit Ethernet!

I just figured out that my router is not a router but an ethernet hub. Is this my problem?
Yes, you MUST have a router.
Shouldn't it work if I connect the ethernet directly from the modem?
No. The router is the element that allows you to have your home network share an Internet IP address. Without it, all of your DHCP devices are trying to fetch a DHCP address from your ISP and they typically won't let you have more than one at a time.

Hubs are eeeevilllle. Always uses switches.

I ended up stimulating the economy. Upgraded my whole network. Switched from DSL to cable internet. Bought a MacBook Pro, Motorola SURFboard modem, Airport Extreme connected to a Passport hard drive. Everything works seamlessly now. I need a Sling loaded VIP 922 now. Wish I could watch my Timberwolves tonight but the RSN dispute lives on. Snowed 7 inches here last night. I'm sure you're all thrilled to know this meaningless information.

teneightyp said:
I ended up stimulating the economy. Upgraded my whole network. Switched from DSL to cable internet. Bought a MacBook Pro, Motorola SURFboard modem, Airport Extreme connected to a Passport hard drive. Everything works seamlessly now. I need a Sling loaded VIP 922 now. Wish I could watch my Timberwolves tonight but the RSN dispute lives on. Snowed 7 inches here last night. I'm sure you're all thrilled to know this meaningless information.

Did you get a router also?

The Airport Extreme is a router.

A very fast dual band 2.4 GHz and 5GHz 802.11n wireless router. I have the 8 mbps plan, but testing it shows it to be faster (power boost). Everything is ridiculously fast compared to what I was used to (7mbps DSL which always tested slower, 8 year old ibook G4, 10 year old MSN modem). It has opened up a whole new world. I've got the cable internet coming straight into my living room where my whole entertainment center (and future kick ass entertainment center) is. Only 3 ethernet ports (and one WAN port and a USB port for hard drive or printer) on the Airport Extreme however so I will have to add another router when I need more ports.

No you don't. You can use that crappy hub or upgrade to a switch since the router can hand out IP addresses. Just plug the switch into the router and problem solved.

Right -- don't add a second router as then you'll have double-NAT issues which will cause a lot of problems. A simple hub or switch is what you want. I picked up a couple 5-port gigabit Ethernet hubs on Amazon.com and have both of those connected to my Airport Extreme via cat6 Ethernet runs. Can transfer large movie files from the HTPC in the basement to my laptop at my desk upstairs in under a minute!
(Note: if you're setting up the network from scratch, have a fast connection, and intend to use it for media-intensive stuff such as Slingbox streaming, go the cat6/gigabit route. You won't regret it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts