Broadcast Flag shot down again!!!!!

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I recived this in my email box this morning... Good news indeed..

Dear Robert:

Thank you for contacting me about the “Broadcast Flag” amendment to the Senate Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations bill. I appreciated hearing your views.

I do not serve on the committee considering this matter. However I have been informed that this amendment was not included in the final text of the bill. As you know, this amendment would have tagged certain digital broadcasts as copy-protected, potentially limiting consumers' rights to make fair use of digital television content.

Again, thank you for contacting me on this issue. Please stay in touch in the days ahead.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama
United States Senator

I got a note from the EFF today wanting me to hit up our (TX) senator (Kay Bailey Hutchinson). So I did.

Apparently it's STILL not dead.

: . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . :

* Action Alert: Your Senator Can Stop the Broadcast Flag!

In May, the courts killed the Broadcast Flag, an attempt by the MPAA to use the FCC to impose government mandated copy controls on digital broadcast television signals and multimedia receivers, such as digital television sets, digital video recorders, and general-purpose personal computers (PCs).

Now the MPAA is heavily lobbying two key committees in Congress to pass a legislative fix that would re-animate the notorious Flag.

That's the bad news. But here's the good news: your Senator is on one of those key committees.

We're already hearing that committee members are listening to their constituents. One congressman expressed regret for his public support for the Flag after receiving a detailed explanation of the dangers from an expert in his district.
The staff of Senator Saxby Chambliss said he would work to stop the MPAA from sneaking its bill through an obscure Senate budget process after being alerted by a call from constituent Terry Frazier.

Visit our Action Center now; you're one of the few who can tell your Senator what he or she won't hear from the MPAA about the Broadcast Flag.

http://action.eff.org/site/Advocacy?id=175

This apparently is MPAA (Hollywood), not the NAB (Broadcasters).

Agreed, they need to stop this crap, and listen to their CUSTOMERS.

We (The customer base/citizens) need to keep the pressure on Congress to NOT let them win this one.

LER

LER said:
This apparently is MPAA (Hollywood), not the NAB (Broadcasters).

Agreed, they need to stop this crap, and listen to their CUSTOMERS.

We (The customer base/citizens) need to keep the pressure on Congress to NOT let them win this one.

LER
It may help to see the bigger picture here and know what we're up against.

First you need to understand that the NAB is the central hub for everything and anything concerning TV. Sure the MPAA weilds a BIG wallet and Congress needs BIG $$ right now for '06 elections (ads are already running) but there are a lot of BIG wallets out there.

Where does the biggest chunk of all that money go? Campaign air time on every local afilliate across the country from now until Nov '06 for every single congress person running for relection. We're talking big $$ here.

And who's controling all that air time ?

The only thing that can counter that kind of influence is a ground swell of public opinion and to get that, you need national exposure.

Until that "customer base/citizens" gets organized, we're not going have a lot of influence.

Now maybe it's coincidence that the FCC ruled on Dish / Rainbow shortly after receiving Scott's "26,000 member" letter but maybe not. Imagine if there could be some kind of a "viewer coalition" consisting of all the members of all the major TV discussion groups. I don't know - probably just wishful thinking. There was that DTC (I Want My HDTV) thing and they didn't amount to squat when the pen finally hit the paper a year ago.

so saying that MPAA pays our elective officals for campaining... then in turn our elective officals pay the local staions for air time... then that local station pays nab for dues and ect...

SO WITH THAT Sqared... (MPAA = NAB)....

now we take this...

Sence the NAB offers airtime for money

we get NAB = Time X money

as we all know time is money :)

time = Money

Therefor NAB = MONEY X MONEY = Money squared..

There for becase money is "the root of all evil"

we get Money = Square root of evil

so.... therefore

Nab = (square root of evil) squared..

SO were forced to conclude that

NAB = EVIL!!!!!!!!! :)

update from the EFF:
* Big Win in Broadcast Flag Battle

The story so far: the MPAA's multi-million dollar travelling salesmen had descended on Washington, pitching and wheedling to get the Broadcast Flag language into law, giving Hollywood control of your digital TV and a veto on future TV innovation.

In the House, the MPAA convinced 20 representatives to support the Flag in the House Commerce Committee. But that's not a majority, and support was wobbly. Following your letters and phone calls to members of the committee, opposition has firmed up--and apparently, after reading a long explanatory letter from an expert voter, at least one representative regrets signing the MPAA's letter.

In the Senate, Hollywood followed a less direct plan: hitch a ride on the fast-track budget reconciliation bill, as amended by MPAA-friendly Senate Commerce committee members.

That Flag amendment was due to happen this past Thursday, October 20, 2005. Thanks to the hard work of you and our friends in Washington, the committee members grew concerned over the MPAA's plan to attach their non-budgetary amendment to the reconciliation bill and the amendment was withdrawn.

After failing in the market, the courts, and last June's appropriations bill, it's yet another defeat for the Flag- wavers. But the MPAA's lobbyists are nothing if not tenacious--so what's their "Plan D"?

One potential ploy would be to introduce a separate digital television bill containing the Flag. That could happen as early as next week, and senior committee members have indicated their preference for this approach.

What we're hearing, however, is that the MPAA--still fearful of fair use amendments and compromise--wants to try to sneak the Flag language into the reconciliation bill, but this time, on the floor.

We'll see what happens. But whether it re-emerges in a bill in a committee or an amendment on the floor, we'll keep you up-to-date and let you know what you can do.

Our three-minute guide to the Broadcast Flag:
http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/three_minute_guide.php

Tell your member of Congress about the Flag now:
http://action.eff.org/site/Advocacy?id=129

: . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . : . :

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)