Broken Drive on 622. SHould I cut my losses with my recordings?

HDuser

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Long time stalker, 1st time poster

My 622 recently had a hard drive failure, I called to get a replacement & mentioned I had an external WD 500G. I asked if the external drive fee could be waived so I can transfer my recordings from my old rcvr to my new rcvr. They did no problem:up:. I cleared the drive & reformatted in my PC knowing the rcvr would reformat anyway. I plugged into the old rcvr & it prompted to reformat, then reboot the rcv. Problem is it continues to pop up saying that I need to reformat. (continues loop - reformat, reboot, reformat, reboot....)
So when I got the new rcvr (looks used, maybe refurb) I plugged in the external & it took the reformat 1st try. I can access thru manage my devices & it’s all good. So I plugged into my old rcvr & It is now recognized. Except when I try to manage or send to device it gives me error message 863 saying "This feature is currently not supported". After multiple calls to tech non-support I confirmed the external drive activation was activated on both rcvrs. They are telling me, due to the hard drive failure I am unable to transfer. Maybe so, but I can’t help thinking that since it wouldn’t perform the reformat & since it is reformatted it still won’t let me manage. I'm stuck on it being a software problem. Additionally, others have been successful in transferring recordings from a "broken" drive to an external.
THe only difference i can find is the bootstrap ver being different old-1710RBDD, new-1718RBDD.. Same software ver for both. I don’t think that is even the problem since others have 1710 with external. ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!

EDIT - Ok, not 1st post, but 11th. Its been a while

Make sure you broken 622 is still an active receiver on your account. They may not let transfer programs on a deactivated receiver.

Yea its active, confirmed with DISH & watching it now. They agreed to leave both active for 10 days to allow the transfer. Anyone know if USB-to-USB cable will work to bridge the rcvrs? I've got the cable, I'm trying to find it now

You can not bridge the two receivers. If the hard drive is bad, you're done, I'm afraid. It's not a software issue. It's broke!!!!

Yup, good thing there is multiple forums on the web to reach out to for help>>> Good thing we dont get in trouble for those type of things.

Toasted HD

OK, figured it out ;). HD is toast & not a software problem. Unusual that i didnt read of others not being able to transfer to External Drive after HD failure

If your receiver's hard disk failed, why would you even think you could get the recordings off of it and onto an external hard drive? Where did you think the recordings were stored?

Hummmm. Like i said, on the web others having the same problem were successful.
Looking at your previous posts it looks like you have helped plenty of others. Thanks for the help BB! :up

Dead is dead

Hummmm. Like i said, on the web others having the same problem were successful.
Looking at your previous posts it looks like you have helped plenty of others. Thanks for the help BB! :up

If the HDD is really dead then it ain't gonna do anything. It has been gone over before the things that can be done to try and get it running long enuff to get vids off it. Tapping while starting the HDD, nearly freezing it then trying it while very cold. These are thing that can be tried but if the HDD is truly dead then it is dead. Nada you can do at that point.
BTW welcome as a 1st poster, even if you were a lurker :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts