Brrrr

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well it is a balmy 40 with light rain and fog here now, just got finished taking the 7.5 mesh dish apart to fix the golf ball size hole/cut a tree limb put in it the other day. Supposed to be mid 20's with freezing rain by sometime tomorrow.

Well the freezing rain has just started here this afternoon NW of St. Louis with 1/2" of ice expected by tomorrow.

So it might get fun here if the wind kicks up. Better chance to take down the power lines.

I have my hot water outside faucet hooked up this time. :)

If all else fails and I have power, I can at least de-ice at least one dish, maybe two.

It is supposed to get worse North of here. Hope you guys in Iowa are ok!

Not looking all that bad this far North. Very fine ice is making it hard to walk in the pavement, but the dishes look good - except for a fine coating on the KU band dishes, and all of the BUDs are filling up with snow .. sure wish I had that old "shaker" hooked to the big dishes now!

We had a high in the 80s here in New Orleans. Very unseasonably warm, even for here...

Putting the finishing touches on my outdoor Christmas decor, I found myself sweating :(

Well we have about 1/4" of ice hanging off of everything with freezing rain continuing. The news says that ice is much worse West and NW of here with 1/2-3/4" of ice in Columbia MO.

The power is still on probably because the wind is very light.

I still have good SQ on all of my dishes including the Ku multi-LNBf dishes. I guess that comes from having dishes tuned within a "gnats hair" when I put them up. :)

Hopefully the temperature will go just a little higher than they expect, but so far they are right on target.

Just spent the week in Chehalis, Washington salvaging what remains of my mother's home which was flooded. She was rescued by a neighbor who canoed into her home. Took a 24' Ryder and took back roads, often slowly crossing washed out areas and small rivers cutting across the roads. Sadly only saved enough from the home to fill the floor space. Very sad to see the pile of discards fill the front yard. The home will be a total loss.

Hauled the salvaged item to Portland, Oregon and spent several days scrubbing, runs to the dump, dry cleaners.

Makes one really appreciate what we take for granted..... today, Back to California!

20*F here, snowing, 12" snow on the ground, ground freezing up nicely. We are through the freezing rain period (two weeks ago) and now it's cold enough for dry snow which can accumulate on the dishes but is easily brushed off if necessary or disappears in a slight breeze. C-Band dishes collect several inches depth of snow on the bottom half but the signal seems hardly diminished at all.

Being on the North Shore of Lake Ontario certainly is an advantage for our weather. Now Buffalo on the south shore, they certainly get the snow. The snow here has gone down to about 6" of icy snow. The weather is below freezing, but the wind makes it cold. So far my 1m dish which I moved to the back yard in the summer is surviving well. Only used 1 bag of cement in the post hole, and only put it about 2 feet down. Now if only RTN would move some of the programing from their C-Band sats to Ku. (but there is still a lot there on Ku to keep me happy) My car now is covered in white from all the road salt. Just put a new set of wiper blades on for the winter.

Geez Brian, sorry to hear about your Mother's home, glad to hear her neighbor was able to get to her in time. We went through a flood in my area in 1994. It washed out a bridge (several actually) close to me, and caused a 7 mile (one way) detour for 10 months. It's times like this when you get to realize how deceitful and corrupt the Insurance Companies are. I hope your Mother fairs well with them!

Al

Just spent the week in Chehalis, Washington salvaging what remains of my mother's home which was flooded. She was rescued by a neighbor who canoed into her home. Took a 24' Ryder and took back roads, often slowly crossing washed out areas and small rivers cutting across the roads. Sadly only saved enough from the home to fill the floor space. Very sad to see the pile of discards fill the front yard. The home will be a total loss.

Hauled the salvaged item to Portland, Oregon and spent several days scrubbing, runs to the dump, dry cleaners.

Makes one really appreciate what we take for granted..... today, Back to California!

I am sorry to hear about your mother's loss. Flooding is a disaster which many never think about until it suddenly happens. Katrina put 15 inches of water in my home, destroying much of my expensive video equipment which was stored on ground level. Even with flood insurance, losses like these cannot be covered. I hope at least some irreplaceable items were salvaged.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I shared them with my mom and she was touched that you would think of her! The photo albums were above the waterline, but many keepsakes we submerged. Many hours have been spent trying to save those special treasured items .....

Adjusters are walking through tomorrow and we will find out the options soon. Next week she will be moving into the home (on a nearby hill) of a close friend who has recently required nursing care. When the friend's family learned of the loss of my mom's home, they offered their mother's home if we would pick up the utilities!!! While not a long term solution, mom can stay in her community near her church and friends.

These events certainly can bring out the best in people!

ice storm aftermath

Living in southern California, I can't claim any serious cold-related problem.
Finally turned on heat this year, when the house temp dipped to 65ºF, a few weeks ago.

But for all of you up to your assets in snow, here's one you would like to avoid.
One of the staff members on my SETI team lives in Manhattan, KS, and is just recovering from an ice storm.
... and 36 hours with no power in his all-electric apartment!

Not as terrible as being flooded out, to be sure!
Makes ya count yer blessings.
I think I'll just stay where I am, and look forward to the next major earthquake! - :eek:

"Finally turned on heat this year, when the house temp dipped to 65ºF, a few weeks ago.
" I feel your pain ! :) Our thermostat is set at 65 . I'm wearing two tshirts, a flannel shirt and an MSU sweatshirt right now. Pretty comfy.
I could never make it in California, just don't like it hot. ( My son is in Bakersfield, though, edge of the desert, I'd say.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Quali-tv setup question

Wall mount with motorized 90 cm dish?