BSC 621-2 LNBF Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

texasclaw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Texarkana, TX
I had my LNBF installed several months ago (Nov '06) and early on had some problems with analog reception. My subscription channels on G5 were very weak and hazy. Occasionally some of them (TBS & TNT) would clear up, but most would not. I had to fine tune the Ku side on the BEC 6600+ and was able to get KUIL. Recently I have lost all (especially AMC1 DWTV) except for weak G5 and strong G4 Carribean MUX (strength 10 and quality 95-98). Occasionally DWTV will fade in and out, but mostly I get No Signal or No Video Signal. My coax was replaced one week ago when I lost all signals.:(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

are you able to make adjustments yourself?
when you say fine tune ku side with the BEC6600 what does that involve?
does moving the dish slightly (east or west) on amc1 or g5 improve the signal.
did the person who installed your new bsc621 fine tune it when it was installed.

Bsc 621-2 F/u

No I cannot do the adjustment myself. My hands and eyes are not steady enough. When I say fine tune, I mean I went to the menu on the BEC and put in the coordinates, then using my 450i I moved the dish until I got yellow lines. I could do that with W1 as well, but now it does not work on either. As stated I can only get G5 (fuzzy) and G4(Carribean MUX) clear as a bell.

I am not sure if he fine tuned it when he installed it or not, because that is the first time he had done a C/Ku LNBF. What does he need to do to fine tune it (I will get him to come back and do that for me) I need W1 (DWTV) for my wife or I will catch it:).

Thanks in advance.

i take it the reception was good before the switch to the bsc621
and it had good reception when the guy installed it.

was it a corotor befor the switch to the bsc621 or was it c band only

well we can try several things, but maybe a storm took it out , we have had a lot of storms lately.

Bsc 621-2 F/u

My reception was gone when he installed the 621-2. A storm had knocked out the BSC-421 C-Band LNBF that as there. Before that storm I had good reception overall. I went with the 621 so I could get Ku for KUIL in Beaumont, TX and not miss my beloved Cowboys.

There is a surge protector on the 621 that was installed at the same time. If the storm got it, why would I get G4 as clear as I do?

Help!

ok that sound good then we can rule it out
did you set it on a hard to get channel or no signal channel and bump the motor east or west ( slightly) to see if it inproves the reception. ( this is with the 450i right)

oh and i forgot to ask when it was installed was it setup with one coax or two

Bsc 621-2 F/u

Yes I set it on G4 16 or 17 and the picture will not clear up no matter which way I bump the dish. This is the analog side. The Digital side Carribean MUX on the same sat is clear as a bell, only with just 10% strength and 95-98% quality.

It was set up with a one Coax system and the replacement is the same.

Last edited:
I had my LNBF installed several months ago (Nov '06) and early on had some problems with analog reception. My subscription channels on G5 were very weak and hazy. Occasionally some of them (TBS & TNT) would clear up, but most would not. I had to fine tune the Ku side on the BEC 6600+ and was able to get KUIL. Recently I have lost all (especially AMC1 DWTV) except for weak G5 and strong G4 Carribean MUX (strength 10 and quality 95-98). Occasionally DWTV will fade in and out, but mostly I get No Signal or No Video Signal. My coax was replaced one week ago when I lost all signals.:(

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If the C/KU LNBF position not set it right, then there maybe the problem.

on g4 i 'm getting all three
c digital (great) , c analog (great )and ku is a bit weak .

how is it run through to your system

the reason i'm asking is i don't think the 450i can see the satellite lnbf using just one coax ( it can't switch the diesqc switch built into the 621-2) another coax would cure the problem.

i'm just guessing here but i suspect that is the problem unless someone else knows of a way to slave the 450i and be able to see a switch involved lnbf.

Bsc 621-2 F/u

My set up is what the people at DMSI told me. The coax is run to the BEC 6600+ and the M1/M2 are run to the 450i for moving. Orignally I was able to get all three, however the analog was a bit weak and the Ku needed a few bumps to get in line. The LNBF appeared to switch appropriately when I went to the Ku or Analog side. The 450i has been running the analog side for a long time and can see the satellites very well. According to the information I have with this particular LNBF you have to go through the digital receiver to the analog receiver for the switch to work automatically.

i read back and found where you had it all working before so i guess the way you have it set up you can use one coax.

you must have the 450i slaved off the bec if that so then you probably have to leave the bec on c band and then use the 450i

as it sounds here it should work , and i know you say its not . i'm sure you checked the coax from receiver to receiver and from the 450i to the tv

one thing i should mention , so you probably already know...... that when connecting coax to the lnbf always power off the receivers

i'm a couple hours from you but i don't mind helping if i can.

i read back and found where you had it all working before so i guess the way you have it set up you can use one coax.

you must have the 450i slaved off the bec if that so then you probably have to leave the bec on c band and then use the 450i

as it sounds here it should work , and i know you say its not . i'm sure you checked the coax from receiver to receiver and from the 450i to the tv

one thing i should mention , so you probably already know...... that when connecting coax to the lnbf always power off the receivers

i'm a couple hours from you but i don't mind helping if i can.

Yeah, the coax from LNBF goes to the BEC and then one to the 450i and then to the VCR. I always cut the receivers off when working with the LNBF. The one individul in my area who does some work on C-Band and Ku is coming by next week if it isn't raining.

If he can't get it up, I would take you up on your offer and pay for your travel and time. Got my fingers crossed that we can get the LNBF adjusted (Others from another forum say that appears to be the problem) correctly.

Let's see what happens.

well sorry i could help you narrow it down to something simple
actually thought it might be a setting or something but .....

Yeah, the coax from LNBF goes to the BEC and then one to the 450i and then to the VCR.
one going to the bec and one going to the 450i ?
is there a switch (or splitter) between the 450i and the lnbf or is it run from the loop out of the bec.

when you run the 450i do you turn off the bec?

one thing i'm considering is one of those v-box II it would take commands from the digital receiver and move the big dish plus it stores 99 satelite positions and like you have expirenced , i too have found some of the satellites to be off just a tad and have to tune over a bit to get it. with a few more storable positions you can just set those up to go right there. so then it wouldn't matter if the c band analog lined up with the ku or the digital c band (it would be nice but) you could just program a spot for it to stop.

i have my favorite satellite set up for ku on a stationary dish so i won't miss anything.

Reading his post, the way he set it up is: signal from the lnbf goes to Bec, Bec's loop-out to 450i for analog, 450i controls the actuator for dish movement.
The set-up is fine, we can islolate the switch problem because there is no switch involve here.
v-box is not needed here, 450i works as a positioner in this case.
The only thing I suggest here is to use a DC blocker between the 450i and BEC.
When 450i controls the actuator, there is no need to turn the BEC off because it's the one to power up the lnbf.

well sorry i could help you narrow it down to something simple
actually thought it might be a setting or something but .....

one going to the bec and one going to the 450i ?
is there a switch (or splitter) between the 450i and the lnbf or is it run from the loop out of the bec.

when you run the 450i do you turn off the bec?

one thing i'm considering is one of those v-box II it would take commands from the digital receiver and move the big dish plus it stores 99 satelite positions and like you have expirenced , i too have found some of the satellites to be off just a tad and have to tune over a bit to get it. with a few more storable positions you can just set those up to go right there. so then it wouldn't matter if the c band analog lined up with the ku or the digital c band (it would be nice but) you could just program a spot for it to stop.

i have my favorite satellite set up for ku on a stationary dish so i won't miss anything.

well that was what i was thinknig but that means the bec is controling the switch and the polarity.
so i was just thinking if you look out it ( the lnbf) must default to port 1 or a on the diseqc switch but is the 450i able to control the polarity. or is switching channels on the bec requried.

v-box is not needed here, 450i works as a positioner in this case
yes this was just a idea because the 450 holds what 20 satellites positions. the v-box holds 99 and is controled by the diseqc compatible receiver ( that was just a thought for setting up satellite positions that need to be tweaked to receive) its a not needed item to get the system working.

Base on the setting, the BEC control polarities and bands. He did mention that I got signal for both C and Ku before, so Diseqc port setting is correct (unless he accidently changed it). 450 receiver only controls actuator for dish movement.
The 450i should have enought spot for all domestic satellites. I have not used 450i for years, but do remember it has more positions than one needs.

well that was what i was thinknig but that means the bec is controling the switch and the polarity.
so i was just thinking if you look out it ( the lnbf) must default to port 1 or a on the diseqc switch but is the 450i able to control the polarity. or is switching channels on the bec requried.

yes this was just a idea because the 450 holds what 20 satellites positions. the v-box holds 99 and is controled by the diseqc compatible receiver ( that was just a thought for setting up satellite positions that need to be tweaked to receive) its a not needed item to get the system working.

Reading his post, the way he set it up is: signal from the lnbf goes to Bec, Bec's loop-out to 450i for analog, 450i controls the actuator for dish movement.
The set-up is fine, we can islolate the switch problem because there is no switch involve here.
v-box is not needed here, 450i works as a positioner in this case.
The only thing I suggest here is to use a DC blocker between the 450i and BEC.
When 450i controls the actuator, there is no need to turn the BEC off because it's the one to power up the lnbf.
Exactly what DC blocker would I need and where can I get one? The 450i does handle as many Satelllites as I need. There is only one other I plan to try and that is PAS9 at 58%.

Check RadioShack. Not sure if RS still carries them.
A DC blocker is used between Bec and 450i to prevent DC travel from 450i to the Bec.

Exactly what DC blocker would I need and where can I get one? The 450i does handle as many Satelllites as I need. There is only one other I plan to try and that is PAS9 at 58%.

Radio Shack use to carry them but I know they discontinued them a while back. Check around to see if they have one...some may have them. Its not like its a popular part :)

Ice will a Skywalker Signature DC Block work?
itemdisplay.asp

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)