Budget - RG6 Compression Tools?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
For my own use I'm currently using an RG6 crimper like this:
HEX CRIMPING TOOL RG6/59/62 COAX CABLE CRIMPER 204-007 - (eBay item 140169626328 end time Oct-24-07 21:28:18 PDT)

I would like to upgrade to a compression type tool and want a nice tool while keeping the cost as low as possible. Are any of these good, if not what should I get?

UNIVERSAL COMPRESSION COAX CONNECTOR TOOL FOR F BNC RCA - (eBay item 140171200466 end time Oct-25-07 18:15:00 PDT)
Compression Tool for PPC CMP6 EX6XL *Free Ship* - (eBay item 270078991268 end time Nov-08-07 19:14:26 PST)
Universal Linear Compression Tool PPC Corning Snap SNS - (eBay item 180172760745 end time Oct-30-07 14:00:10 PDT)
RG6 COAXIAL CRIMPING TOOL COAX F CONNECTORS COMPRESSION - (eBay item 150173881126 end time Oct-24-07 20:02:09 PDT)

Are all RG6 Compression type fittings considered waterproof or at least water resistant? What brand is best Gilbert, PPC or other?
Is this a good deal?
NEW PPC EX6 RG6 Compression Connectors 50 pack - (eBay item 180172071553 end time Oct-28-07 13:48:55 PDT)

Any advice on good quality reasonably priced strippers, connectors, cable (in moderate quantities) and crimpers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The blue handled PPC crimper is probably one of the better ones under $50. If you are really pinching pennies go with the non-racheting crimper. Go to Home Depot and get the RCA coax strippers for $10. They work great. My preference for connectors is Gilbert or Thomas & Betts Snap-n-Seal. PPC are cheaper and will work fine. None of these connectors are water proof unless you put a rubber o-ring in the connector. You can get decent quality RG-6 on eBay that is swept to at least 2ghz (3ghz recommended) for a decent price. Try to get cable with a solid copper center conductor (sccc).

The kit above would work great for home use.

Good luck!

For hobby use I use the cheap blue tool that you can get from Sadoun.com.
Unfortunately some compression fittings do not close all the way with this tool.
The good tools have interchangeable die that you might need (I never really bothered to figure it out). I found the fittings that work with my tool and stick with them.

The blue handled PPC crimper is probably one of the better ones under $50. If you are really pinching pennies go with the non-racheting crimper. Go to Home Depot and get the RCA coax strippers for $10. They work great. My preference for connectors is Gilbert or Thomas & Betts Snap-n-Seal. PPC are cheaper and will work fine. None of these connectors are water proof unless you put a rubber o-ring in the connector. You can get decent quality RG-6 on eBay that is swept to at least 2ghz (3ghz recommended) for a decent price. Try to get cable with a solid copper center conductor (sccc).

The kit above would work great for home use.

Good luck!
Yer not gonna believe this...Dish network's engineers have come up with this. They claim that if any of the better compression/snap and seal type connectors( T&B, PPC ,etc) are tightened to minimum of 30 LB/FT there is no need for weather boots or grommets

In fact they are requiring us ( Iam a contractor tech) to purchase a torque wrench for installs.

Yer not gonna believe this...Dish network's engineers have come up with this. They claim that if any of the better compression/snap and seal type connectors( T&B, PPC ,etc) are tightened to minimum of 30 LB/FT there is no need for weather boots or grommets

In fact they are requiring us ( Iam a contractor tech) to purchase a torque wrench for installs.

I'm confused, is this the boot ring on the outside of the thread or the little ring on the inside of the fitting, or is it that little blue washer on the barrel connector, or is it all of these things? None of them? My DP34 has those blue washers and that is it.

For hobby use I use the cheap blue tool that you can get from Sadoun.com.
Unfortunately some compression fittings do not close all the way with this tool.
The good tools have interchangeable die that you might need (I never really bothered to figure it out). I found the fittings that work with my tool and stick with them.

Whose connectors are you using with it?

Have you tried the Thomas and Betts SNS1P6 "blue snap-n-seal"?
If so how did those work in that tool?

Whose connectors are you using with it?

Have you tried the Thomas and Betts SNS1P6 "blue snap-n-seal"?
If so how did those work in that tool?

I'm embarrassed to admit it but it's the blue "Omniseal" connectors that you get in a big plastic candy dispenser at The Home Depot.
I have been hesitant to order online because this tool does not have interchangeable dies and I don't use it enough to buy a new one. The connectors I make are on my hobby dishes which I change out at least once a year just because I tinker with them constantly.

Because my fittings are not sealed (and they drain away moisture) I did discover something that I swear by--use pure copper cable. The copper-clad steel cable rusts at the tip of the conductor where the steel is exposed.
From my own observations I find the pure copper cables are mostly impervious to weather.
Naturally these aren't sealed for the weather since, again, I'm a hobbyist.

I worry about my "professionally-installed" DiSH Network system because it's all copper-clad steel and I happen to know that the techs did not seal it at all, anywhere. I feel the same about my cable modem.

The strippers are ok but I like the ones that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot for about $15.00 better.

Dave:

Is this the stripper you like?
I couldn't find it on the Lowes or HD website but both have it for about $16 locally. It has three blades in it.
IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Coaxial Stripper, 3-Step

This one on eBay looks the same as well, but doesn't have the Ideal brand on it. Also seems to have a coax cutter below the hinge:
Coaxial Cable Stripper Cutter Tool /RG6 RG58 RG59 coax - (eBay item 300165092778 end time Oct-30-07 09:59:58 PDT)

Thanks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts