Building Dish Integrated Plex system

barryr1

Original poster
Oct 3, 2017
arizona
I am new here and I don't know if this is the right place so I'm sorry right up front. (You're thinking the same thing I'm sure). I am new to Plex, just building a system right now. I have Dish hopper and joey. Is there a way to cleanly place the hopper and joey in the plex system, say central location, so that I could use the system to watch either of the two sources in any location in my home. I am getting ready to do some significant remodeling so I can likely get the appropriate cable to the right locations if that is an issue. I will have some long runs. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Is there a way to cleanly place the hopper and joey in the plex system, say central location, so that I could use the system to watch either of the two sources in any location in my home.
In principle, no. Digital Rights Management, implemented through HDCP, pretty effectively prevents re-transmission of subscription service content.

It isn't Plex that's the problem. Plex is a media server and media servers thrive on non-DRM content as there's no practical way to enable or enforce DRM requirements in such a system.

If you want to route DISH (or any other subscription TV box, Roku, Apple TV, FireTV or Blu-ray player) content around, you probably need to use HDMI switchgear. It is typically expensive, often fussy and rarely worth the discipline and extra effort required to use it.

Reactions: barryr1
In principle, no. Digital Rights Management, implemented through HDCP, pretty effectively prevents re-transmission of subscription service content.

It isn't Plex that's the problem. Plex is a media server and media servers thrive on non-DRM content as there's no practical way to enable or enforce DRM requirements in such a system.

If you want to route DISH (or any other subscription TV box, Roku, Apple TV, FireTV or Blu-ray player) content around, you probably need to use HDMI switchgear. It is typically expensive, often fussy and rarely worth the discipline and extra effort required to use it.
That's what I was afraid of. I keep reading where someone is telling how to do it, but then ultimately they are talking about cutting the cord or local tv.

On my TV it has Plex built in. I have a Plex Media server running in a NVIDIA Shield which is hooked up to a NAS with 4 TB of storage.
I have plex to my smart tv with no problem. I also have misc game stations as well but I only have Dish where I have a hopper or joey (or a computer). With many viewing stations and only 2 devices I wanted to see if I could make Dish a part of the network viewable anywhere. I thought maybe with "dish anywhere" or using the hopper and Joey on the network I could source it but I was looking to find the answer without wasting countless hours of experimentation. thx

Can't do it. Dish wants you to pay for every tv you want to access their service with. Hence $7 a month for each Joey on every tv in the house, if you want access on every tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)