Built a new smoker.

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
Have beeen reading about the drum smoker. AKA, BDS. Big Drum Smoker. Web site.Big Drum Smokers | BBQ Smokers

These folks sell these for a lot on money. Found a few smoking forums where folks build these for a fraction on what the "Official" web site sells them for. Pretty simple. Instead of the BDS name, they call it the UDS, Ugly Drum Smoker. I found a local drum referb company, picked up a drum, some hardware, and a few other things and went to work. When it's all said and done, I will have less that 100.00 bucks in this thing. More info to come when the cooking begins. I know I have left a lot of info out, but I wanted to get the pics out as soon as I got finished. The first pic is out of order. Sorry. Questions???????????????

Picasa Web Albums - Steve - A smoker is born

Good work!

BTW, I think you just gave me an idea. I'm thinking about making a big drum steamer for clam bakes. Using pretty much the same design as that and using the valve as a drain to siphon out the clam broth.

Pics Updated

Got the charcoal basket finished. It is a 13.5 inch charcoal grate for an 18 inch Weber One Touch Silver. Welded some expanded metal to form the basket. It is 10 inches deep. Bought a cheapo grill from Freds, and just used the bottom section for the ash pan. Loaded it up with a full bag of kingsford Competition Briquetes.(12 lbs) Lit it off at 1 PM yesterday. It came up to temp quick. 280 in less than 45 minutes. Get the temp to settle around 250-260. Got up a few minutes ago and the temp was 235. Gave the basket a shake, opened up the intakes a little, and back up to 260. It's on the 15 hour mark and still going. It should only get better as it gets gunked up.

Picasa Web Albums - Steve - A smoker is born

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts